Lower unit rebild

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Lower unit rebild

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:27 am

I need to have the lower unit on my early 70's Merc rebuilt.

Does anyone know of a good shop or how difficult it is to do your self?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Lower unit rebild

Post by Amx » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:06 am

http://www.limitoutmarine.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Interests: living

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:26 pm

Any particular reason it requires a rebuild? You may be better off, if you can find one, buying a used lower unit.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:37 pm

Well yea, things were over heating last summer, pulled it apart to look at the impeller and noticed seals went bad also and the gear box was full of water and lots of nasty metal shavings. Im finding used online that 'SHOULD' work but Im hoping to find someone local that can do the seals, bearing and what ever else cheaper and also Id know exactly where I stood. Used online... who knows what your getting.

Just starting the process, looking for ideas and options. I have the first quote scheduled for Sat morn. Wanna get the Cascade back on the water this spring. Really missed not having the boat functional this last summer. Was overwhelmingly busy as well tho.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:43 am

If you're a little bit bold and don't mind a little oil on your hands rebuilding the lower unit is pretty easy. Seals are no problem, rip out the old ones and tap in the new ones, replace any worn parts and the bearings and it's new again. Take it apart slowly and lay out the parts in order. My brother does his Volvo duo prop every couple years and replacing all the internals is only a couple grand and his time. A used one is an unknown quantity, if you go out in the salt I'd have a used one rebuilt too. Just me, I hate to paddle and or call vessel assist.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:27 pm

Im told that some parts are hard to find new, some only used. Im going to get another and/or have this one re done depending on cost. Also adding power trim to the thing. Save my shoulder and make loading on the trailer easier. Really need to have something dependable on the lake this summer. Fresh only for this boat.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:21 am

I like to hear that! Sometimes it's just a little hard to pull over and park with a boat. Some of the stuff I see people out on the water in just makes my skin crawl. It's not an old thing just disrepair. Not that you don't with a car but you really put your life on the line when you go in a boat. You have all the problems associated with a car plus you can sink and there is no walking away from it. Boating is serious business.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

fishbiker
Petty Officer

Post by fishbiker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:30 pm

i would look on ebay, theres rebuilt and good used, heres an itm number for a 1994 275.00 160693209356 type this in search box. other wise Tony out in granite falls Marinetec Service & Repair
(360) 653-5770

9020 131st Ave Ne, Lake Stevens, WA 98258

fishbiker
Petty Officer

Post by fishbiker » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:43 pm

i just saw this on craigs list http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/2733266328.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:26 pm

Sigh... so, for the last, wel... ummmm.... well since my post in Nov. I have had my lower unit in the back seat of my truck and have yet to drop it off for a quote. #-o

7 miles up the road. #-o #-o

They are a referal from 3Rivers so Im gonna give them a shot since they are local to me. I'll let ya know what I find out.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:06 pm

Rich McVey wrote:Sigh... so, for the last, wel... ummmm.... well since my post in Nov. I have had my lower unit in the back seat of my truck and have yet to drop it off for a quote. #-o

7 miles up the road. #-o #-o

They are a referal from 3Rivers so Im gonna give them a shot since they are local to me. I'll let ya know what I find out.
Hey Rich. Is Three Rivers in Woodinville? If interested, there is a well known mechanic that works out of a two car garage in Edmonds. And as a bonus he likes green backs! I guess in the early days of this characters life. He raced a small boat with 40hp outboard up the Samamish slu.