flossing/snagging

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Re: flossing/snagging

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:35 pm

Mike mayby jens has no answers..you scared him
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

Jerry H
Warrant Officer

Post by Jerry H » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:37 pm

I think you can foul hook/snag/floss with any type of gear. It depends on how it is being presented and the users intent. Also the water conditions. Lets face it during pink season on the Puyallup most if not all fish are flossed in some manner. The water clarity is near zero. The fish couldn't see the corky to strike it if it's life depended on it. We were all are flossing if we cast and let it drift until we feel the rod load up then set hook. If you set the hook continually through the drift you are snagging. On the other hand on the Green where the water is clear or near clear you probably have two scenarios going. You are casting to where you know there are fish and the fish can see your offering. In some cases the fish is striking at your offering and sometimes your line goes through the fishes mouth and is flossed. As long as you are not continually setting the hook on nothing you are not snagging and it is legal. Just my opinion.

EAmon ___hoffman123
Lieutenant

Post by EAmon ___hoffman123 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:50 pm

nat wrote:I actually created a username just to weigh in on this. I used to be a die hard float fisherman. It was partly because it is really effective and partly because I couldn't figure out drift fishing, swinging at bumps that weren't fish, throwing my arm out of socket for nothing, comin home with a sore shoulder & no fish. This year for salmon I decided to try to learn to drift fish since there would be plenty of target practice, i.e. pinks. I can say that the tick, tick, pause rings true to me for flossin, since it seems like the line is caught in the fishes mouth, lifting the weight off the bottom so it doesn't tick along. I can also say that my corkies and yarn set ups have been absolutely attacked! This last weekend on the Humptulips, I was fishing the drift close,(lots of guys forget to fish it close, you don't always need to throw across the whole river!) and as I was starting to reel in, a coho chased my corkie and snapped at it. I could see it through the water since it was pretty clear. When I got the fish in, the hook was attached over an inch inside the fishes lower jaw. The same thing happenned this year with pinks. I also came up on two guys on the Satsop this year that were there to snag, throwing into a hole and rippin on the count of three. (My buddy and I noticed it was a consistent count) they snagged fish after fish, but only got one in= pretty obvious snagging. I have always noticed bites turning off and on, where corkies or anything get bit more than when it is off- snagging works anytime. If guys are feeling for a fish and giving it a rip, that is drift fishing to me, and if they are rippin several times a drift they should expect to get some comments. Bottom line is that it comes down to the intention of the fisherman, and not whether they are using corkies or other gear. Since we don't always know intentions, we should do what we feel is right by the resource and try to help others enjoy the sport while leaving alone those that won't/ don't care about the difference.

i disagree with about the satsop. i was there on friday and we tossed jigs all day doing a twitch to make the jig look like a lure or a shrimp etc. and we accidently snagged 30 fish becuase the river is filled with chums. the coho we managed was cuaght on the jig and we were still doing the twitch. so thoose fisherman you saw snagging they werent. all they were doing is a twitch. i grew up on this river sensce i was 5 and then i moved up north. and every year ive fished it with jigs i was doing the twich that you think is a snag and when we caught coho the jig was down it's throat
There are some achievements which are never done in the presence of those who hear of them. Catching salmon is one, and working all night is another.
Anthony Trollope

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:59 am

slayerslayerthat wrote:Mike mayby jens has no answers..you scared him
there are three reasons. He is formulating a response. He agrees with me. He... um...it's... you know... um. Dang, can't remember the third. EPA?!?

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:03 am

MotoBoat wrote:
Gringo Pescador wrote:I tried to weigh in on this earlier today - wrote up this big long thing about my experiences, opinions etc. Got blown out and lost it before it got posted.

I was curious if some time passed because of the length of time it took to type out that lengthy, thought induced comment, and you went to post your reply, and couldn't? That has happened to me several times. It works to hit the back button until the screen appears with your reply in the post a reply box. Then select submit. That works less than half the time. In the case where it does not submit. Back button to the post a reply box with your reply in it, copy and past to a new, empty post a reply box and submit. That works every time. There is like a time elapsed lock out that occurs. The same occurs on another website I frequent.

Sorry, nothing to add to the flossenger topic as I do not riv'r fish. Carry on fellow floss-n-aggers.
back button failed - work computer, had a web meeting going, a bunch of other stuff running and had the comment window open for well over an hour - not suprised it got blown out really. Should have copied it before trying to submit it.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:14 am

Mike Carey wrote:
slayerslayerthat wrote:Mike mayby jens has no answers..you scared him
there are three reasons. He is formulating a response. He agrees with me. He... um...it's... you know... um. Dang, can't remember the third. EPA?!?
Or he lost interest, or found something more pressing.........like life. LOL! Or, I suppose he is field testing your comments on da river.

What a sensitive subject, no matter what website it erupts.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:24 am

I am not avoiding anyone. I am on a computer all day at work. When I punch out, WA Lakes is not one of my highest priorities when I go home. I really wasn't even going to respond to this subject but some yahoo [-X [-X brought my name into this. I spend enough time on Facebook as it is or text messages from buds talking about fishing.

I am responding to the original poster. He asks if flossing is snagging. In my opinion it is. Flossing is snagging. Flossing is not fishing. I think responses such as most, "yeah I have foul hooked fish with jigs, spoons, bait, beads.." Is off topic.

Whatever. I too have witnessed a foul hooked fish bobber/jig fishing. I have twitched jigs and foul hooked quite a few fish also and I have foul hooked a fish(flossed) a fish when I was drifting egg snot and I have have foul hooked a fish with EZ egg and yarn.

But in the end, the regs say if a fish is hooked inside the mouth or in some cases gil plate forward, then the fish is legal to kill. I know who I am as an angler and the methods of fishing that keep me up at night. My close fishing buds know where I stand. We don't get pumped talking about getting a fish with corky and yarn, we get excited like little girls thinking about a Pig Steelie hammerin' a spoon or a jig we tied up.. Or discovering a new cure..

It's not like I haven't done my fair share of drfit fishing and have no clue to what I am saying. It's my opinion. I have seen the strings to the corky/yarn show. You guys are getting a little too defensive with corky/yarn is what I am reading.

And it's not like I won't go and get my floss on because those that fish with me know I can get my Dental game on with the best of them. And I will use a longer leader. I hook more fish in the mouth that way [-o< [-o<

It's in the mouth!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:39 am

gettin a little touchy now jens
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:46 am

slayerslayerthat wrote:gettin a little touchy now jens
Gross. Very gross. say your handle 10 times really really fast.

I like reading your super informative 3 posts.

i lernz lotz bi redeing wat yuo haf too cey. teche uss pleze howz tu kach feesh.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:28 am

A guy I have witnessed uses a 30 foot leader. Maybe some of you know who I am referring to. A 30 foot leader. No joke.
30 foot leader..........

I asked him one day if thinks the fish are biting his bead and why use such a long leader. He says, "Bro, I am flossing them. They aren't biting."

30 foot leader. :scratch: :scratch:

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:59 am

jens wrote:

i lernz lotz bi redeing wat yuo haf too cey. teche uss pleze howz tu kach feesh.
jens thats hella getto .. =D> btw i lke your fish pose.. about the 30 foot leader i think everyone know its da myth da leagend kinghunter =D>
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:14 pm

slayerslayerthat wrote:
jens wrote:

jens thats hella getto .. =D> btw i lke your fish pose.. about the 30 foot leader i think everyone know its da myth da leagend kinghunter =D>
I know, it's off the hook. [wub] [wub] :thumbdown :thumbdown

Don't you get enough attention on the other site? [woot] [woot]

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:44 pm

I don't see it that way, Jens is allowed his point of view. I think it is lame the way he was called out in the 1st place. He is right, alot of the conversation on this thread went off track from the original question (me included). That seems to happen alot with this subject as there is a lot of strong opinions about it(which is why mods get ichy trigger fingers whenever it comes up).

So, to try and get back on track..

IMHO From a legal standpoint, flossing is not snagging, for me personally, flossing is snagging.
With that being said, I also think flossers use drift rigs, but I don't believe all drifters are flossers.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Post by hanapaa808 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:39 pm

Well said gringo

nat
Angler

Post by nat » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:40 pm

To EAMON-
No, I actually mean that I walked up to them and watched them and talked to them. The guy asked me as I walked walked up if I was a cop. Then he told me after I said no that he has two strikes in the state of WA for snagging. They weren't using jigs, they were using long leaders with a single corkie and a 3/0 hook. Throw, one, two three, ripp!! The guy almost fell down with each ripp! I know what jigging looks like, and these guys knew how to snag!! LOL!!

EAmon ___hoffman123
Lieutenant

Post by EAmon ___hoffman123 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:44 pm

nat wrote:To EAMON-
No, I actually mean that I walked up to them and watched them and talked to them. The guy asked me as I walked walked up if I was a cop. Then he told me after I said no that he has two strikes in the state of WA for snagging. They weren't using jigs, they were using long leaders with a single corkie and a 3/0 hook. Throw, one, two three, ripp!! The guy almost fell down with each ripp! I know what jigging looks like, and these guys knew how to snag!! LOL!!

LOL!!!! Yea defintley thoose are snaggers hahahaha. Sorry for getting off my buttons there. DOI #-o #-o :tongue:
There are some achievements which are never done in the presence of those who hear of them. Catching salmon is one, and working all night is another.
Anthony Trollope

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:30 pm

slayerslayerthat wrote:
jens wrote:

Hey,

Why you spreading rumors?

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:37 pm

i lernz lotz bi redeing wat yuo haf too cey. teche uss pleze howz tu kach feesh.[/quote]
jens thats hella getto .. =D> btw i lke your fish pose.. about the 30 foot leader i think everyone know its da myth da leagend kinghunter =D>[/quote]

I know, it's off the hook. [wub] [wub] :thumbdown :thumbdown

Don't you get enough attention on the other site? [woot] [woot][/quote]

I agree it's off the hook too!! What is a troll?

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:50 pm

30 foot leadr humm sound fishy [-( :scratch:
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:35 pm

ah, another flossing thread spirals to an end. Put a fork in it, topic looks to have run it's course. And I still didn't get my questions answered. Oh well. :-k

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".