LESSONS LEARNED, Things You Do Only Once

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
rseas
Commander

LESSONS LEARNED, Things You Do Only Once

Post by rseas » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:13 am

Last night while in the middle of my read ½ a page and fall asleep with a book or magazine on my chest ritual I ran across an interesting article in the BC Outdoors Sports Fishing magazine. The article, “LESSONS LEARNED, 15 Things You Do Only Once” got me to thinking this would be a fun topic for WWLakes.

I’ll start it off, about a year ago I arrived at one of the Lake Stevens boat ramps. I was fishing solo that day and when I fish solo I secure one end of the bow line to the boat and the other end to the trailer. I then back into the water until the boat is floating and pull the rig up 10 feet or so, get out, untie the line from the trailer and work the boat to the dock where I tie it down so I can park the trailer. The problem was that I had got to talking to some other boaters and fisherman that were also in the ramp area and got distracted. I launched the boat, pulled the rig forward and went to untie the line from the trailer but instead stood there watching the boat float away. Initially thinking that my boat knot had come untied, I flagged another boater down and they kindly towed my boat back to the dock. After many humble thank yous I realized that while I was getting ready to launch and heavily engrossed in a conversation with someone, I had tied the end of two separate but identical lines to the trailer and boat. My “Lesson Learned”? Make sure I secure both ends of the same line when launching the boat! ](*,)

G-Man
Admiral

Re: LESSONS LEARNED, Things You Do Only Once

Post by G-Man » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:52 am

I've repeatedly experienced, second hand, a similar situation. A person ties on a lure to a swivel, flasher, sinker, etc., checks the knot, makes sure the leader isn't tangled and then tosses the rig into the water. The person then watches as the rig sinks down into the murky depths as the other end of the swivel, flasher, sinker, etc. wasn't attached to anything. To date, I haven't done this myself, however, I know it is only a matter of time before I do.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:04 am

G-Man wrote:I've repeatedly experienced, second hand, a similar situation. A person ties on a lure to a swivel, flasher, sinker, etc., checks the knot, makes sure the leader isn't tangled and then tosses the rig into the water. The person then watches as the rig sinks down into the murky depths as the other end of the swivel, flasher, sinker, etc. wasn't attached to anything. To date, I haven't done this myself, however, I know it is only a matter of time before I do.

I have done that.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:29 am

I forgot to put the plug in once. It is hard to pull a boat onto shore that has a lot of water in it. Let alone drain the water while it is still in the water. =P~
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:05 am

Oh man, I have a lot of those! Well, I'll think of some good ones, but a lesson I learned recently that I remember well is pretty ridiculous.

I was fishing on my favorite river for Coho salmon. The fishing hole was full of humpies and silvers. It was nearly impossible to get to the bottom without hooking a pink, which was fun, but also frusterating because there were big Coho sharking around through them. After a while I get a nice big silver to bite and it jumps around like a crazy person, all fun. I land the fish and put it on the stringer tied to my branch with a really good knot. I wanted to make sure the fish didn't pull too hard and untie itself, because I planned on fishing all day, I like to keep the fish alive until I leave so that they don't spoil, I don't like to carry a cooler full of ice a mile while I'm fishing. I really should get a Katch Kooler, but I haven't yet. The fish calms down and hides under the bank and just sits complacently.

I keep fishing and eventually catch another giant bright buck to go with the hen. After landing the fish I grab it by the gill and wade out to my branch to get my stringer. My left hand holding the buck, my right attempting to untie my super knot from the branch I fumble with the stringer, and it's really tough to get the knot undone. So I use my fingers sticking out from the gills of the buck to grab the knot. As I do this, the buck starts chomping down on my hand and thumb, using it's super godzilla salmon teeth to begin perforating the skin of my hand with wicked mean bitey thrashing. Blood starts to drain down his side like a waaterfall of red koolaid on a hot sumer day. It's really quite painful, like an angry dog after you've stolen his Iams and bony meat stick at the same time the big bright buck starts using all of it's leftover energy to eat at the hand and it feels like a someone is taking a belt sand to my hand and laughing.

As the buck thrashes, I've got one free hand on the stringer and I'm thigh deep in the channel standing precariously on some rocks. Below the rocks is a drop off of a good six feet or so, and an undercut bank where my hen is acting like she's all stunned and complacent, just minding her business. I finally get the super knot undone and with my good hand I unwrap the double loop around the tree branch as I feel my felt soles start to slip on the algae covered rock at my feet and a sinking feeling starts to develop in my stomach.

It all happened so fast. The buck started to thrash with a renewed will to live as I pull the stringer taut to bring up the hen to double up the stringer with tasty coho. As the stringer comes up, the hen realizes that she's getting tugged on again by the jaw and she's gained a bunch of her strength back, she gets bonked on the head by the angry buck's tail and freaks the heck out. She gives a vigorous death roll pulling with all her salmony might, and i n a time span of maybe three seconds I feel the six feet of string slip through my bleeding fingers, burning me with rough nylon crackling with a big giant rope burn and the darn metal bit jabs me and dang near rips of my thumbnail as it briefly catches in my hand before launching under water and darting away.

The fish starts to drag the stringer under like a runaway dog with a long leash and without thinking very much about it I dive head first in a heroic six foot leap, belly flop with my right arm outsretched grasping for the end of the stringer with the buck still jerking around in the other hand I manage to grab the stringer by the very tip. This darn fish still has a lot of energy and spunk and as I desperately try to hold both fish the hen starts to drag me out to the middle of the pool as I feel my chest waders start to fill up with very uncomfortable water, I look like an idiot holding both these stupid fish while getting cold and getting towed down the river. The rope start burning through my hand again, I just can't concentrate any more as I'm bobbing along and the hen starts to win, I reflexively scrape my other hand as I release the big buck, his gills start to tear at the top of my hand and grab the string one last time with both hand, it still burns right through as I make one last fast six foot tug it slips completely free and the hen escapes. I'm now bobbing stationary in the middle of the river, fishless and wet, when I see that the buck had lost a lot of blood in the whole ordeal and is struggling at the bottom of the pool, which at this point is about six or seven feet deep. I, being already soaked and impulsive go for the dive, gear and all struggling against my buoyant neoprene as bubbles escape from my zipper rain gear I grab a tree branch sticking up from the muddy bottom as the leftover air in my waders suspends me completely upside down in the water, still wearing my hat and I can only imagine how ridiculous I look as I grasp for the tail of the struggling fish. I grab it by the tail with a quick tug, let go of the tail and feel my hand start to slide down the fishes side and my fingers slip perfectly into it's gill plate and I grab on with a death grip. I right myself and push off from the bottom and breach the surface with the propulsion of the extra floatation that my waders provide holding the fish above my head in the air. It's tail thrashing, throwing water in my face I tread water triumphantly to the gravel bar having managed to save one of my two fish for the table, which upon arrival on shore I quickly bonk, and tear out the gills and throw up into the bushes so I don't lose the basssturd fish.

All of this happened really fast and the other guys that I'd been fishing with are rightly worried about me floating away and drowning. I yell out as I'm laughing at the sheer ridiculousness of what just happened "I'm okay! No Worries!" and then tensions relieved we all start laughing.

I still fish until I get my limit, bonking each fish as I catch it. It wasn't that bad, the water in my waders heated up and actually acted as an insulator and I started to sweat in the heat. None of the fish I catch were quite as nice as that 15+ hen though. She stayed in the hole all day, every now and then swimming erratically jumping like crazy as if to rub it in that she escaped, while trying to dislodge the stringer. We'd see a yellow rope just dart by below us and laugh at it.

While you might be worried that I was taking my life in my hand by diving in the water I was never in any danger. The hole is only about fifty feet long and the tail out ends with a slow riffle that's only six inches deep, the water was not moving very fast and I'm a very strong swimmer. Had it been in the least bit dangerous I would not have leapt, as always safety first. I just had a ridiculous escapade that taught me a valuable lesson:

Be VERY careful when stringing up another fish when you've got a live chromer on the other end. From now on in that circumstance I'll triple wrap the stringer around my free hand before untying it. Also, leave the second fish safely on the bank while you retrieve the stringer. Since then I have fashioned my own rope stringer with large locking caribiners so I don't have to worry about untying the stringer any more. This was a very ridiculous lesson to learn, but I learned it nevertheless. I just got careless and cocky and paid the price.
'

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:27 am

Toni wrote:I forgot to put the plug in once. It is hard to pull a boat onto shore that has a lot of water in it. Let alone drain the water while it is still in the water. =P~
That's a classic, and thanks to my father and his experiences, I know how to get the water back out of the boat without having to put it back on the trailer.

The week after I purchased my first truck, I took it out to the far reaches of the base, I was stationed in North Carolina at the time. We were tooling along the dirt roads at a pretty good clip and came upon a creek at the bottom of a draw. I saw what looked like tank tracks going up the hill on the other side of the creek and the instant I hit the water, my brain connected the dots, which of course was way too late. Soft bottom creek with huge hidden ruts and my truck was stuck good with water coming into the passenger area. The truck survived though and brought me 15 years of service before I sold it. I now will not cross a creek while off-roading at a speed greater than a few miles per hour and if murky, without first probing the bottom.

guitarfisher
Petty Officer

Post by guitarfisher » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 am

Don't forget to open the reel bail before casting... ](*,)

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:20 pm

Me done a couple of those.... me no learn cause me do again.... me need learn like now.

Fishing on a boat a few weeks ago I tie my mainline to a swivel, open the swivel put my leader and then realize I have tangle mess a many. Using the current and the boat action to help straighten the line. During the untangling I lightly flick the rod as line has decided to wrap around my rod tip. As I did that I'm thinking did I close the swivel and the answer of course was nope.

So now I'm out a wonder-bread coho killer and my friend is laughing at me. It was the only coho killer color that seemed to be working that day and I've sent the darned thing free.

Now I did that before with a point wilson dart. Didn't tie the line direct instead swiveled it. Cast, started retrieving and thinking I bet I didn't close the ... nope I didn't.... as all resistance on the line went away. Learned that day and haven't lost a jig that way since... just coho killers.

My friend forgot once to unhook the boat from his trailer and just about did drag racing up the boat launch. That wouldn't have been fun. And of course we have the open the bail dummy before you cast thing, which I do at least once a year. At least I haven't let the rod go when that happened.

But my big one was... dumbroll please. Forgetting to close the trunk of my car before I go out fishing. I parked in the lot and opened the trunk. Earlier I had gone to McDonald's, so I walk to the back of the car with fries in hand. I place the fries in the trunk and start removing a fishing pole and some tackle. While doing this a friend of mine arrives and I start talking to him. While I was talking to him I partially closed the trunk. Didn't want anybody getting a birdseye view of all the other stuff in the trunk; rods, expensive reels, thousands of dollars worth of computer software that I was taking to work the next day, 2 laptops, and a desk top computer. My friend walks off and I follow. Well you know what happened. I kept talking, continued walking, and never looked back. Trunk was still open about 2 inches or so. I returned the car several hours later seeing the trunk unlocked and halfway open. I had a panic attack! Good news for me however was nothing was taken. Nothing except the fries that some sea gull had found.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:25 pm

Toni wrote:I forgot to put the plug in once. It is hard to pull a boat onto shore that has a lot of water in it. Let alone drain the water while it is still in the water. =P~
ditto! Bob Johansen alerted me as my boat slowly sang at the launch. Got it back on the trailer in time.

Thing #2 - Unhooked my safety chain and winch from my boat before backing down into the water. Not a good idea for a roller trailer. BAMM! The only saving grace is boats go back on as easy as they fall off rollers. The skeg was never the same though. [cursing]

Ocktane
Warrant Officer

Post by Ocktane » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm sure I'll think of more but the first one that comes to mind: Always carry a spare boat key and keys to your boat lockers in your rig or on your rig's keychain. Nothing like getting up at the crack of dawn, hitchin' up the boat and heading to the lake only to realize you can't access any of your gear or start your boat... "Heck yeah, I'm the first one to the launch ramp! Now to go back home and get my keys... crap..." I ended up just going to Kitsap Lake that day... didn't feel like driving back down to Long Lake twice... glad I didn't go any further.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:29 pm

guitarfisher wrote:Don't forget to open the reel bail before casting... ](*,)
Oh yeah, that's a daily thing....... #-o
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Bodofish wrote:
guitarfisher wrote:Don't forget to open the reel bail before casting... ](*,)
Oh yeah, that's a daily thing....... #-o
Many years ago I lost my favorite topwater rod and lure that way. It was around midnight, so never saw it again.
Tom.

Interests: living

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:39 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
ditto! Bob Johansen alerted me as my boat slowly sang at the launch.
You have a singing boat!! COOL [thumbup]

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:14 am

For me it's more like "OK, I can't do THAT anymore" - the older I get, the more "turnaround" time I need. I can no longer go out on Friday night, rise at 3am Saturday morning, fish until noon, drive 2+ hours home, clean fish, then actually be functional for anything (like dinner with friends, running after my daughter, etc.).
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

ingi
Warrant Officer

Post by ingi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:42 pm

my one I learned recently is not to flip fish up onto the bank when your 4 ft above the water, I had a nasty pink on and was too lazy to walk 20 ft over to the sandy beach and land the fish instead I decided to just flip the fish up to me like I have done numerous times with bass and snapped my g. loomis, yeah it does have a lifetime warranty but its also been almost 3 weeks without my favorite rod. #2 dont be lazy, too many times I have fished with a knotted up liter or something that is wrong with my drifting setup- 1 of 2 outcomes almost always result either i dont catch any fish in this time and im just wasting time Or your catch a monster of a fish and your line breaks at the knot or tangle or whatever it may be, it only happened once but i shouldnt have been so lazy.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:05 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:For me it's more like "OK, I can't do THAT anymore" - the older I get, the more "turnaround" time I need. I can no longer go out on Friday night, rise at 3am Saturday morning, fish until noon, drive 2+ hours home, clean fish, then actually be functional for anything (like dinner with friends, running after my daughter, etc.).

That's for certain! I never realized how much energy I didn't have until my wife vetoed fishing every day and made me scale it back. Which I don't really like because it puts more pressure on me to bring fish home on the days I do go. But I like being awake during meetings and stuff too.

mtom938
Angler

Post by mtom938 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:11 pm

Here's something that happened when I was much younger. A buddy and I decided to camp the weekend on a Northern California stream and "live off the land". We were both decent fly fishermen by then and brought the spinning gear also. Friday was a wash so we hit the sack hungry vowing Saturday morning would bring better luck. Fished all day Saturday without as much as a rise / strike. Stomachs REALLY starting to growl. Suddenly, with light going fast, I get a strike on a Mepps 00 silver and land a gorgeous 14 inch brownie. Now nearly dark, can barely see, impossible to cook, so I stringer it in the water for an early Sunday brunch. Or so I thought.

The next morning I go to the side of the water and pull the stringer. Only skeletal remains! Crawdads....hundreds of them....and neither of us knew just how yummy they are. Crocodile tears and Mom to the rescue later that day as tummies were starting to cramp up.

Too funny. [blush]

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:45 pm

Okaaaaay, picture this. Opening day, trout fishing with pops. Drive from home to eastern wa lake. Pull up to boat ramp and inventory begins: Rods....check, tackle box...check, license...check, big motor up and kicker down..check, trailering straps removed.....check. Boat goes in water, me in boat dad in truck. Dad parks truck, gets in boat. Little motor starts quickly and off we go. Begin trolling after reaching 15 ft of lake depth. Me: "What you using?". Dad: " not sure what it is called. Me: "let me see it". Dad: "looks like this". Me: "that is a wedding ring spinner". Ten minutes of conversation and trolling, when I notice water at my feet. Hmmmm, 18ft boat with a floor 6 to 8 inches above the bottom of the boat. Quickly go through my boat ramp routine and discover the plug was likely not on the list!! I see the plug in the splash well and say to dad......I am pretty certain the plug was not installed in the boat. DAD: "are you sure". Me: "Pretty sure that is the reason the floor is getting wet back here!". We are well out into the lake at this point. I remember fishing many years ago in a 14ft boat out in the sound and taking on water from a rainy day. When on plane, with the plug removed, water leaves the boat. If slowing down to much while replacing the plug, water rushed in. Soooo, I said "We are cranking up the big motor and running around the lake until the water has run out. Dad: "Then what?". Me: " there is a emergency plug, attached to a chain in a access hole in the floor, behind the two 6 gal gas tanks. You drive and I will put it in". That is what we did and fished the rest of the day as if never happening. That was over 15 years ago, never happened again. Although the whole experience was a good one with cool heads prevailing and previous boat experience to fall back on. With that knowledge, it isn't that big of a deal......but it is a very good time for the big motor to start!! Having a emergency plug (in this case, placed there by the manufacturer, Lund) on the inside of the boat is a very good idea also.

That reminds me, to late to leave a fishing report........Huh?

G-man, is this what you were referring to when saying: "That's a classic, and thanks to my father and his experiences, I know how to get the water back out of the boat without having to put it back on the trailer."

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Yep, my experience was in a 20' Bellboy out of Shilshole. The key was figuring out that the plug wasn't in before the motor was swamped. Always carry a spare plug and make sure you can fit it from the inside!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:46 pm

G-Man wrote:Yep, my experience was in a 20' Bellboy out of Shilshole. The key was figuring out that the plug wasn't in before the motor was swamped. Always carry a spare plug and make sure you can fit it from the inside!
Hard top???
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!