Coho

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bugmasta
Lieutenant

Re: Coho

Post by bugmasta » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:31 am

EAmon ___hoffman123 wrote:there still catching them in lewis st bridge, every weekend we have cuaght a keeper! also one chum!
Eggs or yarn at the bridge? Have yet to get my first coho of the season, still after that first one. Had about a dozen on last weekend but lost them all. Wondering if a size 2 hook is too small.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:18 am

I prefer size 1's for coho. Coho have hard mouths.

EAmon ___hoffman123
Lieutenant

Post by EAmon ___hoffman123 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:45 pm

Bugmassta- we have been using eggs with a tad bit of pink yarn and a corkie with a light pink with black spot's on it. we went today and let acouple firetrucks go.
There are some achievements which are never done in the presence of those who hear of them. Catching salmon is one, and working all night is another.
Anthony Trollope

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:33 pm

EAmon ___hoffman123 wrote:Bugmassta- we have been using eggs with a tad bit of pink yarn and a corkie with a light pink with black spot's on it. we went today and let acouple firetrucks go.
I was on the Wallace today and it was terrible. Everyone I talked to said it was quiet. I have yet to land a coho this year and starting to think it's not gonna happen. For some reason I am just not doing something right because I can not get my weight to "tick" along the bottom.

Maybe coho fishing just isn't my thing, wish I could figure it out. Have gone a dozen times and just keep getting skunked so it's clearly something with the way I am rigging up. [cursing]

Appreciate the advice and info, maybe I will try the bridge next time rather than driving up to Wallace.

SkyRiverMan
Petty Officer

Post by SkyRiverMan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:49 am

Coho, for combat fishing on the wallace, you can park right at the hatchery.... (less break in's - sad, but a reality). just upstream of the viewing pond there is a bridge that you can cross (it's one building up from the viewing area) - there are some mixed signals here - the bridge says authorized personell only, but if you cross it and continue straight around the next set of ponds you'll see signs that say "Public Fishing" = follow the signs around (and between) the ponds -If the chinook are in when you cross through the hatchery, they are held down here - you gotta look, you'll dro0l over the size of these monsters) just keep following the signs and they'll take you to the weir on the wallace.... remember... MINIMUM 400 feet downstream before you get your line wet.... There can be a bunch of guys down here when the getting is good - as mentioned previously some folks practice ( I also don't want to get in a debate here) questionable methods.... I

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:58 am

bugmasta wrote:
EAmon ___hoffman123 wrote:Bugmassta- we have been using eggs with a tad bit of pink yarn and a corkie with a light pink with black spot's on it. we went today and let acouple firetrucks go.
I was on the Wallace today and it was terrible. Everyone I talked to said it was quiet. I have yet to land a coho this year and starting to think it's not gonna happen. For some reason I am just not doing something right because I can not get my weight to "tick" along the bottom.

Maybe coho fishing just isn't my thing, wish I could figure it out. Have gone a dozen times and just keep getting skunked so it's clearly something with the way I am rigging up. [cursing]

Appreciate the advice and info, maybe I will try the bridge next time rather than driving up to Wallace.
me and a buddy covered about 3/4 of a mile of river, tromping around in our waders yesterday. the Coho counts were dismal at best.. we scouted, wetted the lines in the rain for a few minutes and called it a day..
if you don't see signs of fish (specially in a clear shallow river like the Wallace) move on!

Snowbird2008
Petty Officer

Post by Snowbird2008 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:01 pm

I'm sure glad most people are fishing the snoho/sky and wallace for silvers, I been sticking with the lower Duwamish for brighter silvers still and just about have a full punch card on silvers.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:55 am

Snowbird2008 wrote:I'm sure glad most people are fishing the snoho/sky and wallace for silvers, I been sticking with the lower Duwamish for brighter silvers still and just about have a full punch card on silvers.
thanks for sharing!! guess thats where i'm going to head then (the Duwamish), think i'll bring 700 of my good buddies with me! [thumbup]

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:44 pm

Count me as one of the 700