Dick Nite spoon article

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
pjfugazi
Angler

Dick Nite spoon article

Post by pjfugazi » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:25 pm

Hey all. Not sure if any of you saw the article in the Seattle Times local section (http://bit.ly/uaID9K" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) today, but it got me thinking. I fish a lot off Puget Sound beaches and have never tried a Dick Nite spoon. Worth it? This article made it sound so. Any thoughts on size, color and rig are most appreciated. Any thoughts on DN spoons in general would be great. Thanks very much.

-b

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Dick Nite spoon article

Post by Amx » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:28 pm

Dick Nite spoons have been known for MANY YEARS and are great lures.
Tom.

Interests: living

Jerry H
Warrant Officer

Post by Jerry H » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Back in the 70's we used to use them east of the mountians at Lake Lenice, Nunnally & Merry. They worked great on the big trout there.

SculpinKing
Petty Officer

Post by SculpinKing » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:41 am

They are very, very light and small spoon so you would need some weight to get it out there. The rig I've had recommended to me for rivers might work. Ball sinker off a 3-way swivel with the spoon a few feet behind it. If you haven't seen one before they're very small. I think the biggest one is maybe 1 1/2" or so. That said, they catch a lot of fish. Outdoor Emporium by Safeco has them for the cheapest I've seen, $2.50 a pop.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:11 am

98% of my salmon slaying success this season was using Dick Nite's
once you learn how to fish'em right, they are deadly!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:21 am

oneshot wrote:once you learn how to fish'em right, they are deadly!
I have a bunch - had em for a few years. Try em a couple times each year and have never hooked up or felt like I was fishing em right, so I quickly end up back in my "comfort zone". One of these days I will hopefully figure em out.. :-k
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:55 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:
oneshot wrote:once you learn how to fish'em right, they are deadly!
I have a bunch - had em for a few years. Try em a couple times each year and have never hooked up or felt like I was fishing em right, so I quickly end up back in my "comfort zone". One of these days I will hopefully figure em out.. :-k
I had Family in town from the east coast a couple years back.. I wanted to make sure we got on the fish good, so we hired a guide (http://nwfishingguides.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
we fished Dick Nite's ONLY all day and probably boated over 40 fish.. the guide showed us the proper setup and how to fish them nice and slow ticking off the bottom.. I took what i learned that day and its been almost all success stories since then, using dick nites..
painfully slow reel, or no reel at all if you're in an ok current, 6" to 12" dropper weight on a slide swivel above your main swivel, 4 to 5 feet leader tied straight to the dick nite.. DEADLY!

lil vid from that day here..

pjfugazi
Angler

Post by pjfugazi » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:31 pm

Can they be fished on the Sound (wading in)? Rivers only?

pjfugazi
Angler

Post by pjfugazi » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:35 pm

Cool vid, btw. Nice use of Fugazi in the soundtrack. ;-)

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:44 pm

pjfugazi wrote:Cool vid, btw. Nice use of Fugazi in the soundtrack. ;-)
:) nice use of your name.. Fugazi 4 life!! :pirat: [thumbsup]

never tried fishing the Nites in the salt.. i just don't fish the salt much these days..

SculpinKing
Petty Officer

Post by SculpinKing » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:32 pm

I really can't believe that's the second fishing video I've seen with Fugazi as the soundtrack on this site. First must've been yours too?

Went back and looked and it looks like you proved me wrong indeed: http://www.washingtonlakes.com/WatchVideoHD.aspx?id=32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:43 pm

SculpinKing wrote:I really can't believe that's the second fishing video I've seen with Fugazi as the soundtrack on this site. First must've been yours too?

Went back and looked and it looks like you proved me wrong indeed: http://washingtonlakes.com/WatchVideoHD.aspx?id=32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
not to derail the thread.. and i guess this isn't derailing it actually.. speaking of Dick Nite's and fugazi... I used all dick nites and fugazi in this video too..

pjfugazi
Angler

Post by pjfugazi » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:11 pm

Amazing... I had know idea that I had musical peers on here too. Great vids. And yeah, Fugazi for life!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:38 pm

OK, that was one spastically interesting video to watch. And I mean that as a compliment, the sped up video fit the music perfectly. Very cool. [blink]

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:42 pm

Oneshot,, Wow! That is quite a website you have. Really nice video production. Swan lake, very nice. I spent a half hour on there. [thumbsup]
( For Dick Nite thread content...... Yes, Dick Nites rock! They would prob. great for P.S. beaches for cutthroat. but certainly have to add some weight to your rig. Don't forget to go barbless/release if you go for those cutties.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:32 am

The Quadfather wrote:Oneshot,, Wow! That is quite a website you have. Really nice video production. Swan lake, very nice. I spent a half hour on there. [thumbsup]
thanks for watching! i make action sports (snow) video's for the most part.. dabbling in the fishing realm and adding my personal twists of entertainment is fun..

P.S. Dick has been giving lots of lures away this season by simply sending him pictures of your dick nite caught fish.. I got a couple packages already. very cool company [thumbup]

dick nite sponsored ;) http://vimeo.com/30255656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rivercamp72
Petty Officer

Post by Rivercamp72 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:55 pm

Another kudos to a cool vid Oneshot. Totally brightened my day. Dick Nite, I will be picking some up and learn how to use them over here on the east side.

riverbound
Petty Officer

Post by riverbound » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:20 pm

favorite quote: "Yay for humpies!!!" Nice Snoho Coho too! Biggest fish I've caught this year was on the smallest size dick nite. Blew my mind. bass w/ green dot.