Quince Trees Wanted

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Quince Trees Wanted

Post by racfish » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:13 am

Does anyone here have a Quince tree? Im in need of Quince. There are a number of varieties. The vine style quince is not what Im looking for. I will pick the quince for you if you dont use them. Any ammount is worth my time. I'll drive just about anywhere to get some. I use it for my cooking. Quince is High Pectin fruit.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Re: Quince Trees Wanted

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:34 am

Never heard of it, interesting. Is there another name for it?

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:45 am

Quince is Quince. The Hispanics call it Membrillio. Membrillio is a fruit cheese. I make it with Quince,Mango,Plums,Guava. Its fruit that is cooked then through the food mill,then a very long cooking on a stove for hours on a low heat. Its then mixed with equal parts of sugars cooked for more till very thick and almost all the liquids are gone. Then I transfer it to a greased lined bakeing pyrex and dried at 150 degree oven for a couple hours. You then chill it and slice. Its used in European and most Hispanic countries . Its used to clean your pallet after a hearty meal. Good Stuff. That with a lil Roquefort cheese is excellent. MMMM

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:11 am

Have you tried using Asian Pears? I know they aren't quite the same but they do hold up very well when cooked. In fact I'll be using them in a pear, bean and bacon soup recipe.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:19 am

I use the Asian Pears in my applesauce. Adds that gritty kinda texture I enjoy. There is very little fruit pectin in pears of anykind. Thats why quince work so well. Asian pears are extremely juicy. They do cook great when making a poached pear. I poach them in a Zinfadel wine or a Reisling. Makes a wonderful dessert.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:01 am

Nope, Haven't thought about quince in years. My grandmother had a couple of quince shrubs and used to make a jelly out of them. Sort of a yellow/green transparent finished color. We used to throw those heavy fruits at each other as kids. I knocked out one of my older cousins once with a thrown quince. She was a mean one and deserved it [biggrin]

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:05 am

BINGO. I found a tree where the folks were more then happy to help myself. I ended up with over 30 lbs of quince. I picked till I was happy. Sat I boiled it down ran it through a food mill then sugar added and a long cooking process. Its very much like making candy. Prep time and food milling takes the most time.Im now set . Untill next year for my quince.

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”