Coho

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
FishingThePacNW
Commander

Coho

Post by FishingThePacNW » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:58 pm

So i wanna catch a coho and i was wondering where i should go on the skykomish or the wallace? Also what should i use! Going this weekend thx!

kzoo
Commodore

Re: Coho

Post by kzoo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 pm

If we get good rain soon, check out the Wallace. It's a smaller river and the hatcheries are going to be funneling into there. Try using eggs and/or hardware. If it doesn't work out, hit the sky.

ingi
Warrant Officer

Post by ingi » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:27 pm

I was on the wallace today, it needs another rain to push some more fish in but there are a couple good holes that are holding some coho but mostly dark, I got one today by the hatchery 11 lb hatchery hen, but people came in and fished by me in a style that i'm not a big fan of(not to start the dredded debate) so i moved to my next spot. I ended up my day by the mouth of the wallace and up river on the skykomish about a quarter mile there were silvers rolling all over the place, I didnt even make a cast I was already running late for a apartment viewing but there were definatly a hole bunch of coho in the sky by the mouth of the wallace.

HULI_ISDA
Petty Officer

Post by HULI_ISDA » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:30 am

where is wallace? how far drive from north seattle/edmonds area?anybody care to give a address easy to find from gps/android?thanks

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:37 am

maps.google.com it..
maps are a good friend to fishers..

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:39 am

P.S. soon as the Wallace comes up from this rain those fish are gonna haul butt right to the hatchery.. the sky and upper snoho are good bets too..

ingi
Warrant Officer

Post by ingi » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:57 am

Wallace River Hatchery‎
14418 383rd Avenue Southeast
Sultan, WA 98294-9507
(360) 793-1382
hey phivial, here is the address for the salmon hatchery,

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:59 am

Anyone fishing the skagit lately this year for coho? im going this weekend, i hear its been good.

HULI_ISDA
Petty Officer

Post by HULI_ISDA » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:41 pm

thanks @ ingi

FishingThePacNW
Commander

Post by FishingThePacNW » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:16 pm

So im going to the sky tomorrow under lewis st. bridge! What should i use for coho?

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:35 pm

I've never had great luck there, but I see other guys do well with corky and red yarn next to the bridge. The opposite side at cracker bar, I've had luck with bobber and jigs.

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:07 pm

did some scouting on Friday in the rain. parked right past the wallace bridge on the south side of 2 and walked along the tracks to the beach under the bridge. i don't want to trespass on anyones property, so how do you get up river and to the hatchery?

looking on google maps, i also tried to figure out how to get to the confluence, guessing you have to park and hike about .5 mile west along the tracks. is that correct?

been fishing the sky all season, and just want to find some new scenery.

ingi
Warrant Officer

Post by ingi » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:45 pm

If you were to park on the east side of the bridge on highway 2, I go down on the very edge of the first guys property and enter the wallace river and walk up the river that way(lots of people walk straight through the property but I'm with you on this i dont need the cops coming and giving me a trespassing ticket). The wallace hatchery is another 1/4 mile east and on the north side of the road, it is well marked with signs. you can park at the hatchery and walk behind it to a couple fishing holes as well

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:58 pm

People have been walking behind the guys property for a while, the house has changed owners as well. They seem to be cool with it, but everytime I walk back there I always feel uncomfortable.

I've seen guys access the hole by going on the other side by entering the bank west of the bridge, going through the woods and crossing the river upstream of the rapids. The crossing section is pretty swift and thigh deep, I'd rather get a tresspassing ticket than take that route.

Last route is parking at the hatchery and wade downstream, a little hall, but the waters are safer, either waist deep and froggy, or swift and shallow, need to cross the river a couple times. walking back up stream sucks!

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:54 am

have waders will travel on the Wallace
there's not much of that section of the Wallace from the HWY 2 bridge all the way to the hatchery that you can't navigate by walking in the river.
the Wallace is a great river to test out your waders :)

back before I learned about waders i'd just plop right down under the bridge and cast across to the big Cement structure that's under the water on the other side in the deep hole.. it was a learning experience and fun until the snagger's showed up. that's when I bought waders and found some better spots away from those folks..

under the bridge.. thats a smoker!

FishingThePacNW
Commander

Post by FishingThePacNW » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:42 pm

So this weekend i cant go fishing but next weekend i can will there be any coho left in the wallace that will bite cause i still havent gotten my first coho!:(

ingi
Warrant Officer

Post by ingi » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:09 pm

im sure there will be some in the wallace, but it depends on what quality they will be, most of them right now are pretty red on the sides but who knows maybe another push of bright fish, if your lucky.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:06 pm

At this time of year it's just fun catching fish, the bright ones are still coming but not in the number that we've had. Just catch a bunch of fish and have fun! No need to bonk 'em unless they're bright. By the time the fish stop trickling in steelhead and chum will be here, so we'll keep ourselves busy somehow.

EAmon ___hoffman123
Lieutenant

Post by EAmon ___hoffman123 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:52 pm

there still catching them in lewis st bridge, every weekend we have cuaght a keeper! also one chum!
There are some achievements which are never done in the presence of those who hear of them. Catching salmon is one, and working all night is another.
Anthony Trollope

FishingThePacNW
Commander

Post by FishingThePacNW » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:57 am

Ok thx guys