Drift Fishing slow moving water? advice?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Dennis316
Petty Officer

Drift Fishing slow moving water? advice?

Post by Dennis316 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:17 pm

i am pretty new to salmon fishing, usually i only made it out to the docks once in a while and for chum at minter creek. this year i went to the puyallup and have had good luck in the fast moving dirty water. So how do you change it up to a slow moving river? what kinds of weights do you use? do i just lighten up the whole set up? any advice would be greatly appreciated, pm me if you dont want to give up your secrets to the evil interwebz

tnj8222
Admiral

RE:Drift Fishing slow moving water? advice?

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:36 pm

If its to slow you cant drift. But a split shot and corky yarn and a small glob of eggs works wonders this next month for hos on the duwamish in allen town.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Dennis316
Petty Officer

Post by Dennis316 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:52 pm

how does that set up work? sounds like a different take on a drift set up. are you drifting very slowly with the current with the leader suspended in the water?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:54 pm

Slow moving water calls for a float. You can drift fish it, but most of the time a float with bait or a jig jig and bait setup works better, less snags, more natural presentation. Or throw a spinner. Coho love spinners. Well, I guess they hate them, because they maul the heck outta 'em. Having a well rounded tackle box will let you fish any type of water. Throw some floats, jigs spinners, hooks and different weight in there and if they aren't biting one thing try something else. Slow moving water is a lot of fun because you can't floss 'em, so you're making 'em bite. Bring some eggs and sand shrimp too. one of the most productive baits for salmon is drifting a sand shrimp tail with a gob of eggs under a bobber through a slow deep pool.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:27 pm

They will also hit jigs twitched in slow water...
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:43 pm

Yep, all options above are great. Drifting eggs with just a swivel, or small splitshot, bobber eggs/bobber jig, and twichin jigs. All three techniques KILL coho in slow water.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Throw hardware or like said float and eggs will doo wonders in slow holes or slots
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU