Wright McGill Eagle Claw Featherlight

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Lotech Joe
Commodore

Wright McGill Eagle Claw Featherlight

Post by Lotech Joe » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:54 am

An internet friend of mine from Pennsylvania is sending a 7' 5/6 weight Featherlight to me just because I don't have one. For those that don't know, they are a full flex, parabolic action fiberglass fly rod. Brand new, they only cost about $29 but I hear they are a hoot to catch a fish with. I can hardly wait.
:bigsmurf:
Last edited by Lotech Joe on Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

raffensg64
Commander

RE:Wright McGill Eagle Claw Featherlight

Post by raffensg64 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:30 am

Keep the fish small, Joe! I've never used one but have read about them, more of a small stream rod. I have 2 Korean-made Eagle Claw Trailmaster III 8.5' 5/6 fly rod combos that I bought a dozen or so years ago. These 5-piece rods came complete with smooth, fully functional reels w/awesome drag and controls, and their own tubes. At about 18" in length, these rods strapped perfectly onto my backpack and accompanied me on dozens of hiking trips into the Rockies, Selkirk mountains and the Cabinet Wilderness in MT. These two little rods accounted for untold hundreds of rainbows, cutts, brookies and even yellowstone cutts. They're strong, fast action sticks that also saw their share of large e. washington fish, too. I nearly cried last month when the tip section of one of the rods got pinched between my pontoon's bladder and the truck tailgate, breaking it! I got lazy, failed to break it down, and paid the price when I took a shortcut down a rutted, rough dirt road.

Try as I might, I cannot find another one of these rods as they are now discontinued.

Don't break yours, Joe!

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:04 am

Hey Raff. Have you tried fixing it? You can use a smaller piece of tubular fiberglass to use as a spigot and join the broken pieces together with 2-part epoxy. A sanding afterward with an intermittent rewrap should cure the problem. Unless the break is too close to the tip top.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:54 pm

Hey Raff,
I just found one on e-bay for only $45 if you're interested. Cool sticks!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-EAGLE-C ... 2314576553
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:46 pm

The rod showed up today. I put a 5 weight floater on it and lawn cast it. Lays line down pretty as you please. 50-60 feet with ease. Maybe a 6 weight would cast better. I'll check that out later. I can hardly wait to tie into a plump rainbow.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:56 am

Lotech Joe wrote:The rod showed up today. I put a 5 weight floater on it and lawn cast it. Lays line down pretty as you please. 50-60 feet with ease. Maybe a 6 weight would cast better. I'll check that out later. I can hardly wait to tie into a plump rainbow.

Hi ya Joe, Cindy has been useing the Eagle Claw "Feather-Lite" "spinning" version in a 7 footer for 30 plus years. Her original one was retired a couple years back, when Her brother shipped her a new one. It happened to have the "same" action, so she was able to be ok with retiring the old rod. I had replaced the guides several times, but that is her trout rod of choice. She uses 4 pound line, and let me tell you, the big RW tripps sure give it a good workout. She has fought and landed many in the 10# range, so you will have a blast when you hook up with those "plump rainbows". Can't wait to hear some of your reports.

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:12 pm

Thanks, Joe.....but that's a different rod. I'll post a pic of the 5-piece pack rod that I DIDN"T BREAK!!! lol. Try as I might, I can't find another. Sometimes companies come out with a good, quality product for a year or two then discontinue them. I bought two of these Eagle Claw Trailmaster III pack rods in 2002-2003 and haven't seen them anywhere since. Breaks my heart that I got lazy and broke the tip on one. Oh, well. I'll be ultra careful with the survivor!
Attachments
Photo09251402.jpg
Photo09251402.jpg (192.12 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
Last edited by raffensg64 on Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”