Lost The Big One!

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
atbdrummer
Angler

Lost The Big One!

Post by atbdrummer » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:28 am

I was out on Long Lake today in Kitsap County, screwing off for a couple hours on the fishing pier until 7 pm. I was concerned since it was pretty cool today and overcast but once I saw the bugs flying over the water I figured I'd start throwing my bass rig over by the lily pads at the mouth of the stream that feeds into Long Lake. I was using a 5'10" Ugly Stik, medium action with 10lb test mono, 3/0 offset hook, and a watermelon with black flake Shim-e-Stick. I got 2 largemouth on the line within the first hour... unfortunately I didn't set the hook properly and they got off. At around 8:10 pm, I set the hook perfectly on my third largemouth. This thing was bending my Ugly Stik like crazy! I had the drag set pretty conservatively and I was trying to keep the line as tight as I could, I knew this thing had to be huge. The fight went on for about 1 1/2 minutes until... SNAP!!! The rod went straight and the remaining line shot back behind me. I was pissed! I have been using the palomar knot but I might have not tightened it enough since I tied it in the dark. Anyways... there is a pretty decent largemouth with my offset hook and worm still in its mouth. If anyone happens to come across this bad boy, please let me know how big it is. Pictures would be great too. I'll be sure to post pictures if I happen to hook him again. Bass Fishing Rules!!!

BassDood
Commander

RE:Lost The Big One!

Post by BassDood » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:33 am

That's one of the reasons to keep coming back. Always next time.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eoso
Warrant Officer

Post by Eoso » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:21 pm

Always hurts. If you don't, always good idea to test your knots with a couple quick tugs.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:56 pm

You will remember the big fish you lost more than your pb bass.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Ocktane
Warrant Officer

Post by Ocktane » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:17 am

tnj8222 wrote:You will remember the big fish you lost more than your pb bass.
Amen!
"I believe that hard work really makes a man, but everyone should wet a line, every now and then." -Eric Church

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:18 am

Sorry to hear about the big one cleaning you out. You'll learn from this experience, make the necessary adjustments, and land her on the next go round.

Occasional lost fish are a part of bass fishing. Keep in mind, however, there are a number of things you can do from an equipment and technique standpoint to ensure you hook and land an extremely high percentage of the big fish that bite. This might be a very good topic to address at some point down the road. I read about a lot of lost big fish on this site that I believe could be prevented with attention to some critical details.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:23 am

atbdrummer wrote: I have been using the palomar knot but I might have not tightened it enough since I tied it in the dark.
ditto,, that stinks to lose the fish. Just wanted to give my 2 cents that it probably wasn't a loose tied Palimar knot though. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I too use a palimar on various things, and this knot is not one that comes undone as if left loose. The hook is through the loop. Oh well, doesn't change anything I guess.#-o
Last edited by The Quadfather on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:47 am

Im not a basser by all means, so I am not sure if this suggestion is anygood. How about switching from mono to braid? Use the braid as a mainline and connect a leader line with a knot or something. The leader can be flurocarbon. Dont bass guys use braid with frog type lures in heavy cover. They overpower the 5 pound bass out of lilly pads. I think his name was Bill Dance, the guy with the white Tennessee hat. Just my 3 cents!! I was just kiddin' about the Bill Dance part. lol. Sorry to hear about the big one that got away. I know how it feels too.
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

Eoso
Warrant Officer

Post by Eoso » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:39 pm

The Quadfather wrote:
atbdrummer wrote: I have been using the palomar knot but I might have not tightened it enough since I tied it in the dark.
ditto,, that stinks to lose the fish. Just wanted to give my 2 cents that it probably wasn't a loose tied Palimar knot though. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I too use a palimar on various things, and this knot is not one that comes undone as if left loose. The hook is through the loop. Oh well, doesn't change anything I guess.#-o
The only thing that comes to mind with a palomar knot breaking is the initial tie. If it isn't cinched down carefully, it will burn the line. I would imagine if any knot isn't completely tight (especially on flouro) it will burn on the hookset and also give leverage to break the knot.

The HAWG HUNTER
Warrant Officer

Post by The HAWG HUNTER » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:24 pm

BRAIDED line will get your fish. Long Lk has many big fish I've had some snap off 50# braid and they were big. I now use 65# braid and have landed every fish that was hooked. Tag is right about your equipment. I would change out your line. One other thing is use BRAIDED line, and a double palomar knot. I could be wrong but I think this is the strongest knot you can tie.
Last edited by The HAWG HUNTER on Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Dad would say," Boy, some people just can't fish"