Trolling for bass?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Trolling for bass?

Post by A9 » Wed May 02, 2007 11:28 pm

Anybody do it with any real success? Might be fun to experiment with some cranks and heavy spinnerbaits. Sometimes I wanna just put the trolling motor on and eat a snack and/or take a drink and still be able to have a line out while bassing...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Bassmaster2008
Petty Officer

RE:Trolling for bass?

Post by Bassmaster2008 » Thu May 03, 2007 12:06 am

My friend knows how to do it pretty well. He just swerves in S-patterns at a few different depths to find the hot spot of the day. He goes for smallmouth and it works really well on Lake Tapps. He uses crankbaits. I think this technique is so successful it is usually illegal in tournaments?

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu May 03, 2007 12:33 am

Yea I'd figure a crank is the only way to get it down to them...Maybe I'll try it out this weekend for a bit. I would also say swerving S patterns is a must so you don't spook too many fish. I bet it does work well for suspended fish, and smallmouth as well, especially if you had a crawdad crankbait on...I'll give it a run this weekend and report back...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Thu May 03, 2007 1:10 pm

3-way rig, with weight bouncing on the bottom, and a crank comin' out the back - thats how I've seen it done.

danielt
Commander

Post by danielt » Thu May 03, 2007 9:07 pm

Don't forget when you troll a crankbait the depth it dives to is a lot deeper than what it would be when casting and bringing back. You can also control the depth depending on how far back you let it out behind the boat. You can also use...spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, in-line spinners, grubs or other jigs... Try it out and post some pics.

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Thu May 03, 2007 11:47 pm

I have done well trolling spinner baits
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue May 08, 2007 12:35 am

I wouldnt troll for bass, maybe trout, but not bass

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri May 11, 2007 3:55 pm

As a kid we use to troll for bass all the time. In fact, structure fishing was invented by a master of trolling. Still, trolling for any fish that holds tight to cover is a chore at best, impossible at most.

When the bass are on the rock or weed flats, and there is water over the structure that can be trolled, go for it. If the fish are holding tight to cover, better drink your drink or eat your sandwich fast, than go back to the other fishing.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:24 pm

Hey,
Nevr really trolled for largemouth..only Smallies..with some success. Used crankbaits of edges of drop offs/flats. This method seems to work well for me...Todd
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

Swandazi
Petty Officer

Post by Swandazi » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:10 pm

i've trolled for bass at twin lakes midday, i caught 30 1-3lb bass in 3 hours just trolling around the lake next to lilly pads and beaver huts.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmy Jimsoks
Petty Officer

Post by Jimmy Jimsoks » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:48 pm

gpc wrote: I wouldnt troll for bass, maybe trout, but not bass
gpc, maybe [troll] for trout? Are you kidding me? Thats the best way to friggen catch trout about 90% of the time on any lake hands down. You obviously dont fish for trout much because thats a pretty ignorant comment for someone who has 390 posts... or maybe they are all like those one liner opinions that have no purpose and don't help anyone at all.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jimmy

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:32 pm

Jimmy Jimsoks wrote:
gpc, maybe [troll] for trout? Are you kidding me? Thats the best way to friggen catch trout about 90% of the time on any lake hands down. You obviously dont fish for trout much because thats a pretty ignorant comment for someone who has 390 posts... or maybe they are all like those one liner opinions that have no purpose and don't help anyone at all.

You can troll for trout?!? I had NO idea. Thank you SO MUCH for enlightening me jimsocks. I will have to try that.

jake campbell
Petty Officer

Post by jake campbell » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:10 pm

I have trolled at lake goodwin quite a lot for smallies, Just using cranks close to the edgs of docks and off rocky points. I have also seen people do this at potholes too. But I have had more success just casting the baits because I can put more action into them. But If you just want to keep a line in while you eat a snack it could turn out to be a pretty productive way to catch bass.

The main thing is to get your bait just the right distance behind the boat to ensure you are fishing the right depth, and not getting snagged.

The basic concept of trolling for smallies, or largemouth is to find the fish then further change your pattern to catch the fish, whether it is to throw plastics at them, or pick the areas apart just casting the crankbaits.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jake campbell
Petty Officer

Post by jake campbell » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:14 pm

Jimmy Jimsoks wrote:
""""Why are you guys arguing about "trout" in the bass fishing forum, Take it somewhere else!:-#""""
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:23 pm

Jimsocks, the only person that sounds ignorant is you, NOT gpc. gpc was only stating his opinion on the subject at hand. And if you want to call him ignorant for that well that is your opinion which is very immature and high school of you to say. And I don't know if it is a contest between you and all off your little school chums to see how many posts you can get but it is not the amount of posts you have it is what you know about fishing, and apparently you have no respect for that. Oh and by the way all of gpc posts I have read come off way more thought out and intelligent than yours. Sorry to everyone, I just had to vent some frustration on TRUE IGNORANCE. Back to the subject, I have caught numerous bass trolling rapalas on the edges of lilly pads.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:29 pm

I love you guys.
Now kiss and make up. PM each other or the big bosses upstairs are going to delete this post due to bickering and negativity. Don't waste a good informative post. I was enjoying peoples input on this style of fishing for bass and it has me interested in others opinions. Please edit your posts to make this a good thread.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jimmy Jimsoks
Petty Officer

Post by Jimmy Jimsoks » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:23 pm

Ok guys.... Im sorry. NOT! HAHAHAHAHAHA THIS IS FUNNY. I LOVE WHEN U GUYS GET ALL PISSED. You all think i care about posts but just look at mine. I got 19 and thats nothing. I dont even care if people dislike me for saying this. Its a computer forum. BS my stuff isn't well thought of. mallard needs to read a few more posts of mine i think... GPC brought up trout first so thats not my problem. He shouldn't have suggested it in the first place if he didn't want me or anyone else possibly commenting on it. I mean come on, who hasn't trolled for trout? Honestly. I also hate it when peope just post opinions and just nothing else that don't help the person unless the opinion required or necessary. In Sam's topic he obviously wanted results not opinions so gpc's post is irrelevant to the topic. Especially bringing up trolling for the trout. Now you all may think this post is irrelevant, but im mainly trying to say this: STOP POSTING UNECESSARY OPINIONS! Now heres some cute high school immatureness for you mallard: Im out and going WEEEWWWWEEEEEEWEEEEEEWAHHHHHH cuz ive had to much thizz right about now. I BE THIZZIN! Get hyphy and stupid! Im gonna gas break and dip outta here.... yaddimean?
PEACE, LOVE, FISHING :albino:
-Jimmy

Edgeran
Petty Officer

Post by Edgeran » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:02 pm

My point of view on the matter is that trolling for bass takes all the fun/skill out of the sport of bass fishing. It should be illegal :-&, just kidding........but it definitely sounds boring to me.

Roadkill
Petty Officer

Post by Roadkill » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:20 pm

My best friend caught a 9 1/2 pound Large Mouth out of Beaver Lake trolling a dick nite.

I've caught many trolling...
close to shore with dick nites, gold hot shots and wedding rings with worms.

tc,
Road
Fishing is like sex,
when it's good, it's real good,
and when it's bad,
it's still pretty good.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:15 pm

Roadkill, I'd love to see a picture of that 9.8lb. LMB. A catch like that I'd keep the lake a secret until I broke the Wa State record. Man, now you have me wanting to check out Beaver Lake. How long ago was this?
Right now I have two lakes that have the potential of a new state record. I missed catching a 10+lber last month during the peak of spawn. Now she is probably under 10lbs. and hard to find. My buddy tagged a 7.7lb. during spawn when we were looking for the monster.
It's only a matter of time. Go big, win big.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;