drift fishing rods?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
returnofthefish
Captain

drift fishing rods?

Post by returnofthefish » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:37 am

I bought a Shimano Cennan during the last pink run based on the recommendation from a salesman at OE. Its 10 feet long and ML action rated 6-12 pound line. I caught many pinks with it including my first coho and first keeper king this week. I bought a medium action St Croix Avid 9 ft spinning and an Okuma SST 8'6" baitcasting rods since then. The shorter rods didnt have the action at the tip like the 10 ft rod. I tried to catch pinks with the St Croix and the Okuma but the pinks spit the hook on both rods. Are you guys having success drifting with 8'6 to 9 foot rods? The 10 ft rod was also great for casting buzz bombs a mile and its become the go to rod. I dont want the other salmon rods to sit at home and collect dust. :-({|=
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:drift fishing rods?

Post by natetreat » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:12 am

I fish a 9' Loomis for steelhead and pinks, I have no problems with it. When I'm beating down bushes or tugging on big kings or coho in current I use an 8'6" Okuma Celilo, I have both versions, the 6-12 and 8-15, and they work great. They don't have the super subtle action that a noodle rod does, but I'm pretty satisfied with them. I also have an 8'6" fenwick gt that I just picked up, it's all backbone until the tip, which is pretty fast and sensitive.

I like the shorter rods, they're manageable, and are easier to maneuver around bushes and stuff, but no, they can't cast as far as my 10' rod. My loomis is the superior rod but we paid for the difference. It just takes a little getting used to. If I were you I'd bring out both rods, one rigged with a dick nite another for drifting or jigging. The longer rods are great for using light line, the shorter ones are line busters when the fish makes hard head shakes, but that's not in the feel of the rod. The shorter rods are also good for casting spinners, because the extra back bone can move that spinner through a fishes jaws when they're chomped down hard, making for more efficient hook sets.

I think that they might be spitting the hook more on the shorter rods because they are able to get more tug on the rod. The longer rods absorb those headshakes a lot more and they have super soft mouths. I use a little less drag when I'm fishing for pinks because of that. I pulled up a lower jaw the other day.

wintersteelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by wintersteelhead » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:31 am

More than likely, you're splitting lips, not spitting hooks. Pinks have soft mouths. Sounds like your rods are fine, thay are'nt the Cadillacs that Nate has but good just the same. I have a current love affair with the new Berkley IM8's. A rod does not have to cost hundreds to be good, but you can tell the difference.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:07 pm

what they said.

I originally got my 10 ft rod for float fishing, and have found it worked great for pinks this year in salt and fresh water jigging. The casting power is great. That said, my go to drift fishing rods have been in the 8.6 - 9 ft flavor (I'm not at home so I can't tell you exactly the brand/model #).

As to rods sitting around collecting dust, heck, with 30+ rods in my collection it's an addiction. I'll bring multiple rods pre-rigged with different setups. When bass fishing that means a half dozen rods. When river fishing on my boat, three rods.

Hey, I pulled a pinks jaw off as well, that was a surprise, almost lost the fish into the water. #-o

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

chefjake99
Warrant Officer

Post by chefjake99 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:58 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
Hey, I pulled a pinks jaw off as well, that was a surprise, almost lost the fish into the water. #-o
Mike this happened to me last weekend and I did lose the fish. That is the first time that has happened to me. I was leaning over the side of the boat bleeding it out and the jaw just tore out. It would have been the eighth fish on the boat between my dad and me. I felt bad for turning it into seal bait so we left as it didnt feel right to keep fishing for another fish. #-o

As far as the rods are concerned I to have a 9' loomis and I love it. It has a Curado reel on it and it is by far my favorite set up. I can cast with it just as far as any other rod I have including my 10 1/2 ft SST and catch way more fish with it. I am sure it is just because my loomis is what I am most comfortable with. I think that is probably the key with anyone... find a rod and reel that works well for you.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clar

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:05 am

My all around go to rod is a 9'6 lami cert pro with my pflueger templar on it. I also really like my Loomis st1083 its a custom 9ft spin rod with an abu cardnal 104 on it. I have 2 okuma 8'6" rods a medhvy and an extra hvy. These are my skok beaters and also Ive brought them to the cow for the silvers when I need to weed through zombie kings comming in sideways weighing 30#+ This year I have a new rod for the big boys at the cow. I picked up a Loomis 1265c 10'6" med hvy rod will get me out farther and have the backbone for them damn fish. Ive ripped the hooks right through the mouths on them pinks. Ive been using my cert pro or my loomis spinning rod. My son uses a 9ft spinning rod and my wife has been using a 6ft spinning rod. I think its all how ya use your rod if its got a ton of back bone and fast action dont need to rip on the hooksets. If its a mod action rod with less backbone to it then ya can set it and have an easier time. You need to figure out what rods your fishing and learn to fish em right and youll do good with em.
More fish please!

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:52 am

Ive gotten 18 kings this season, 7 pinks (all out of the skok), and 4 silvers this season. All on an 8'6 rod.

My best season ever. :)
Last edited by Fish_Bait111397 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:11 am

8'6 ugly stick I pulled out of a lake. :) Brand spankin new to boot! Its funny seeing guys on the river setting the hook like they are plowin into a marlin. The pinks jaws are very soft right now and monster hook sets are just taking more out. I have caught many this year with split jaws from previous fights.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:48 pm

Curado 300 paired with a 9'6" cert pro. custom hand built 8'6" loomis with no reel yet
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

EAmon___hoffman123
Warrant Officer

Post by EAmon___hoffman123 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:11 pm

i had a 8'6 cellilo okuma with a okuma tormento on and by dad slammed the door on it's tip #-o then i bought a lamiglass X 80 MBC GH and for my brithday i got a curado CU200E7. trust me that took like a years worth of allowenc#-o
Fishing is cool. FOOLS

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:25 am

I have a few set ups I like all have a very different feel to them my have is a 9'6 -10'6 rod for the rivers my 8'6 guide select and 9 Lami I cannot stop foul hooking the fish for some reason. my 9'6 sst may it rest in piece was on fire my new 10'6 Shimano Convergance is also on fire. longer faster action I think as for the better hook sets. I ripped lips on all of them. but I blame that on my never fishing for Pinks until this year (new to WA)!

I Know I need to fish with the shorter rods more to get the feel for them as I feel a BITE but it ends up in the tooter and not the mouth!

I loved my SST and the only reason I did not get another one when it broke is becuase the store was out of them I like the Side drifting rods SST has I also have a few others Models float drifting Spinning and Steelhead drifting Spinning. along with a little Trout rod in SST also.. I do not fish with the Spinning rods until I go steelhead fishing.. and I use them or my 10'6 Lami for that also Spinning...

10'6 Shimano Convergence Love it paired with a 201e7 curado
9'6 SST okuma side drifiting Loved it until it Broke
9 Lami cert Pro paired with a Curado 301e7 or e5 something like that I for got Not a fan of this Rod!
8'6 Okuma Guide Select Love the feel of the rod Still working on the feel of the fish with this rod Good quality rod for the price. less than 100 bucks again Paired with a 210e7 curado

I love the curados as you can see

Spinning set ups

10'6 Lami West coast Premier paired with a Shimano sahara 4000 I never used it for Pinks my daughter has and Limited out her first time fishing for them and with the rod.. So I guess it has a good feel and a Lami rep informed me that the Blank is a Cert Pro Blank but someone at the factory made a Mistake and did not sane them down. thats the reason I bought that one... Warranty is not the same

Okuma's I love them both and both paired with a Sahara 4000 by Shimano Wife has caught her Pinks on these rods and also Chum last year... held up great..
Proud member of http://www.WAGUNS.ORG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud Member of http://www.washingtonlakes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

follow my blog http://washintgonstatefishing.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:45 am

Oh yea, pinks have super soft mouths. I run my drag super light when I'm fishing for them for this very reason and always tie an overhand knot on the stringer when I bleed them. I've pulled up an entire lower jaw before after a vicious hookset, and we all lose them some of the times yet.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:45 pm

Looks like those 8'6" and 9' should work for drift fishing. I just need to use them more and build confidence in them. I was horsing the pinks in with those rods using 12-15 pound mono. I am in a combat zone and i just want to get my fish in quickly and get out of peoples way from fishing. They are both fast action and stiffer than the 10 ft. That was something that I didnt consider. Thanks F-Pooh for bringing it up.
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women