Just 'Cause I Don't Know

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Just 'Cause I Don't Know

Post by natetreat » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:37 am

MarkFromSea wrote:7' is bad then........ Certainly 2' is too short. 4' or 5' seemed to work well a couple years ago on the Duwamish and Green to catch pinks and silvers in the mouth with corkie and yarn, sometimes with eggs(silvers). I never have had consistent luck catching salmon out of rivers, still working on it. Haha! And, no, I don't set the hook every second or two either, just a standard drift, give a tug when feels like a bite.

Thanks on the size!
Hahaha, I'll take you out and show you the ropes on the rivers! You showed me how to fish a downrigger. And drive a boat. I'll show you how to floss up some humpies and coho!

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:40 pm

natetreat wrote:
MarkFromSea wrote:7' is bad then........ Certainly 2' is too short. 4' or 5' seemed to work well a couple years ago on the Duwamish and Green to catch pinks and silvers in the mouth with corkie and yarn, sometimes with eggs(silvers). I never have had consistent luck catching salmon out of rivers, still working on it. Haha! And, no, I don't set the hook every second or two either, just a standard drift, give a tug when feels like a bite.

Thanks on the size!
Hahaha, I'll take you out and show you the ropes on the rivers! You showed me how to fish a downrigger. And drive a boat. I'll show you how to floss up some humpies and coho!
I'd like that! You're good company Nate. My intention won't be to floss them though. My intention will be to have them bite, that's more satisfying. BUT if the hook gets them on the outside of the mouth, that's ok too. I'm not talking about a fin or a belly, that would be a foul hook.

I don't "snag" fish, I think that is the thing we want everyone to avoid. Intent, is the difference. Sometimes, you can tell when someone is trying to "snag" a fish. That rapid jerk all of the time. Foul hook is an accident, lacks intent from the fisherman. Flossing might produce a totally ethical hook up inside the mouth. Flossing, by definition, should always produce a legal hook up since the hook should be inside or outside of the mouth but always at the mouth. If it hooks in other than the mouth area, it's a foul hook UNLESS the fisherman intended on "snagging" the fish. Intent is the difference! Thanks guys for sorting this one out for me.

Hitting the Duwamish after a service call in Magnolia today. Hoping the bite is on when I get there or shortly after.... It's all good!
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:05 pm

Yesterdays limit included two pinks that were hooked on the corner of the mouth(flossed) and two that were hooked square on the tongue. I use scent on the yarn where its legal to do so. We can all agree that salmon dont feed in the river, but still bite out of aggression or whatever. So should I consider the tongue hooked ones flossed too?

Drift fishing and leader length are always gonna be a topic for banter.

Heres what the Fish and Game has on thier website at : http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/salmon/howto ... water.html

"Typical drift fishing gear includes an 8 ½ or 9 foot rod rated for 15-30 pound line, and either a bait casting reel or a spinning reel. For larger fish, like chinook salmon, use 20-25 pound line. For smaller fish, like pink salmon, use 10-15 pound line. There are an endless variety of weights, lures, floats, and/or baits that anglers can use. A standard setup for salmon often consists of a snap swivel at the end of the mainline, a leader from 12-48” to a single hook with egg loop, a corky on the line above the hook, and yarn on the hook. "

The game warden was down at the river yesterday and checked out everybody's gear including myself. The guys with 8 ft leaders didnt get a ticket for leader length like the guy with a 4 ft leader. Untill the regs specifically regulate leader length, just go out and fish everybody. As long as everyone is following the rules and releasing foul hook fish, then the game warden is gonna be happy.

Lastly, like Markfromsea said, a persons intent is also important. Buzz bombs work great for catching salmon from a beach, but I dont know if they should be used at Minter Creek for chums.
Last edited by returnofthefish on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:00 am

Flossing is what makes your dentist proud of you.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:49 am

gotta have a clean mouth lol. good one bill
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

clarkhess122
Petty Officer

Post by clarkhess122 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:02 am

lol Yeah I told my mom that purposely flossing was unethical... :D
Clark Hess:
Born to fish, forced to work.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:46 am

Too much arguing, this one is locked as will most any flossing thread that shows up.
Tom.

Interests: living