Just 'Cause I Don't Know

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Lotech Joe
Commodore

Just 'Cause I Don't Know

Post by Lotech Joe » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:45 am

Satisfy an Eastsider's curiosity please. I hear talk about flossing. What is it? And what makes it unethical is some people's eyes?
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Just 'Cause I Don't Know

Post by Bodofish » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:57 am

Lotech Joe wrote:Satisfy an Eastsider's curiosity please. I hear talk about flossing. What is it? And what makes it unethical is some people's eyes?
No such thing, just sniveling from wanabe elitests. It's fishing with a long leader, they think the fish sit on the bottom with an open mouth so you can drag the leader through their mouths and snag them in the cheek..... Pretty improbable if you ask me.
Last edited by Big D on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:23 pm

What Bodo said pretty much sums it up. Occasionally a salmon or trout doesn't strike short and grabs your gear above the business end, you set the hook, and it enters from the outside. My father "flossed" a coho out in the Sound just this past weekend. The hook, on the spoon he was trolling, entered through the gill plate from the outside, a classic example.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:33 pm

Bodofish wrote:
Lotech Joe wrote:Satisfy an Eastsider's curiosity please. I hear talk about flossing. What is it? And what makes it unethical is some people's eyes?
No such thing, just sniveling from wanabe elitests. It's fishing with a long leader, they think the fish sit on the bottom with an open mouth so you can drag the leader through their mouths and snag them in the cheek..... Pretty improbable if you ask me.
Usually the same ones that are yelling out that braid is so bad. Bodo has it except its not with a long leader its anything being dragged across a fishes mouth. You can floss a spinner, a spoon, a jig, a leader. People that use bait will go ahead and say because they are using bait that the fish takes it and that anything else is unnatural and the fish cannot want that there for you flossed that fish into taking it. Fly fisherman use long leaders all the time, did those fish take it or are they flossed? Long leader dont mean floss. How you use your line means floss. Not really sure how it started but it is crap.
More fish please!

tommytitan08
Lieutenant

Post by tommytitan08 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:39 pm

oh jeeeez, this is gonna start a war all over again! :-#
" It is far better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6 "

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:42 pm

tommytitan08 wrote:oh jeeeez, this is gonna start a war all over again! :-#
Whats up lil one? You hitting rivers again yet, or is the leg too bad still?
More fish please!

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:10 pm

I recently learned, watched a you tube video due to a comment placed on Fishbait's fishing report. A guy drift fishing a river at the end of his drift would pull his rod across the current with the tip parallel to the water's surface instead of picking his rod tip and lure straight up before the retrieve back to shore. Looked like regular fishing to me although the single tip hook did stab the king on the top of the head in front of the eyes instead of in the mouth. I think it's solely technique and intent, like Pooh said, any legal lure can be used for "flossing".
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:15 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_floss hahahahaha!

It happens when you get the fish hooked in the mouth purposefully when they don't voluntarily take the hook. There are lots of ways to do it, but most involve using the current of the river to your advantage. Salmon go lockjaw sometimes, and when there are a bunch of guys fishing for the same fish at the same time, it is faster than waiting for a fish to get angry enough to bite your bait. Potato potato, it's been a method in salmon fishing since salmon fishing was first discovered, and in combat fishing it means that some people can bring home fish when they'd otherwise go home skunked. It's not easy to do well, so it takes a bit of skill to get the hang of it.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:32 pm

its not improbable at all. You over been to whatcom creek? 3/4 of the fish i catch i watch my leader go past the chum salmons head, and when the weight goes past, the yarn swings right into the fishes mouth. ALL the time. So no, its not improbable. It happens all the time.
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:28 pm

Thanks fellas. I think I know now what flossing is. You can tell if a fish has been flossed if his smile looks like Michael Spinks.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:22 pm

flinginpooh wrote:
Bodofish wrote:
Usually the same ones that are yelling out that braid is so bad. Bodo has it except its not with a long leader its anything being dragged across a fishes mouth. You can floss a spinner, a spoon, a jig, a leader. People that use bait will go ahead and say because they are using bait that the fish takes it and that anything else is unnatural and the fish cannot want that there for you flossed that fish into taking it. Fly fisherman use long leaders all the time, did those fish take it or are they flossed? Long leader dont mean floss. How you use your line means floss. Not really sure how it started but it is crap.
Whoa. Bud. I can't see how you could floss with a 1/2 Spoon or a size 4 Spinner or even a jig. I think you are confused my honey badger friend.

I laugh all the time hearing guys yell out loud when they are drift fishing(Flossing), "IT'S IN THE MOUTH!!" lol

You just don't hear that when people are fishing with Spoons, Spinners, Jigs, or bait, you just don't.
"One more......."

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:51 pm

Just for an example, question, if I use a 7' leader to get my bait, spoon or corkie and yarn further from the weight because I feel that the fish are scared of the weight, am I guilty of flossing if I use a standard drift fishing pattern of cast and retrieve?

out of topic question: what size dick nite is preferred in the rivers fishing for salmon? #2????? Thanks!

dmangler69
Petty Officer

Post by dmangler69 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:32 pm

You can floss with small Dick Nites.
takes one to know one

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:32 pm

MarkFromSea wrote:Just for an example, question, if I use a 7' leader
Just that statement alone will get you convicted in a court of anti flossers. As long as you aren't setting the hook every second or two during your drift, I wouldn't consider it snagging/flossing. But hay, as long as the fish is legally hooked, who cares what others think.

#2 seems to be popular, but don't be afraid to throw out a #1 as well.

Jerry H
Warrant Officer

Post by Jerry H » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:05 am

Lets face it guys, any of us fishing the Lower Puyallup is guilty of flossing weather we want to admit it or not. Long leader or short. The river color/visibility is near near zero at all times. Without some sent on our yarn the fish has no idea our offering is even in the neighborhood. Its mouth is open our line goes by and yes we have flossed the fish. Of coarse it is best if you don't make a 180 degree hook set two or three times during or at the end of each drift.:)

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:14 am

Im done flossing-for good ! :^o Im goin bigger and better ! and by that- i mean a big old fashin treble hook ! :-$ Lol jk.

You can floss with a 7 foot leader, you can floss with a 3 foot leader. I use longer leaders for when i do happen to floss- and so the fish arent getting scared of my weight.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:48 am

7' is bad then........ Certainly 2' is too short. 4' or 5' seemed to work well a couple years ago on the Duwamish and Green to catch pinks and silvers in the mouth with corkie and yarn, sometimes with eggs(silvers). I never have had consistent luck catching salmon out of rivers, still working on it. Haha! And, no, I don't set the hook every second or two either, just a standard drift, give a tug when feels like a bite.

Thanks on the size!

kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Post by kingfisher101 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:02 am

Well let me admit it, when i drift fish most of the time my fish are hook because they decided to bite it but everytime i get a fish its because i most some scent on it never without none if i floss a fish its probably because the water color or some thing but ive seen some huge salmon attack some little floating bright colored things like some trash but sometimes they spit it out if they just see a green thing which is your grreen yarn they will probably be like why dont i give that a try and like someone said forgot there name they dont bite because of hunger they bite because of aggresiveness in the rivers ive not saying all this is correct but its just some statements ive gathered through the past lol so just go with the flow](*,)
Good luck-KingFisher

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:09 am

This is always a heated topic every fall. Pinks, kings, chum, w/e. I always look forward to the replies. It's been described pretty well. My opinion is...if there are enough fish in a hole or system, fish will be flossed. 2 foot leader or 8 foot leader...it's about numbers of fish in a given area. Some will say they never do it, but I have my doubts...just me. If it's in the mouth, sounds good to me...go have fun.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Post by kingfisher101 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:29 am

Yup and who knows if the fish bit or not if if you flossed it as long as its in the mouth you can keep it it's all legel because no one has proof if you flossed it or not
Good luck-KingFisher