Smoked Salmon

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Smoked Salmon

Post by Bodofish » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:40 pm

Hey ChefJ, Good call on the dry rub after brining, that's been one of my favorites. If people are looking for a spiced up brine, one that I've used quite a bit is to get your brine liquid, what ever it may be and boil some chili flakes for a couple minutes, then add your salt and sugar. As the meat plumps with the brine it also pulls in the tasty spices. The entire reason I give the standard brine receipe and nothing more is to foster experimentation. The fun in smoking any meat is making it your own.

Rock on guys! Pink season is a great time to work on your favorite smoke. Ahhh errr meat.......
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:09 pm

ok - I see what you guys are saying about liquid vs dry. The original recipe I started from referred to it as a "Dry Brine" and since it turns to liquid, figured it did the same thing.
I have two batches to smoke already this weekend and (knock on wood), going for another on Saturday morning, plus taking my mom & aunt out on the Snohomish for my aunt's 75th birthday with John of Rotton Chum on the 11th which could easily bring in another 3 batches. So I want to try some of these other recipes!=p~
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:21 pm

lolol i guess that is what i was do'n .... like i said in my earlier post about adding pepper/herbs ect ... i do it after i've rinsed off the pieces and "racked" 'em ... and before it starts dry'n out .. i dont "rub" tho just sprinkle ...

pic is of some of my "pepper salmon" .... think i got some "kind"/"helpful" comment like ... "looks like burnt up crap" <shrugs>
Attachments
the_smoked_salmon.jpg
the_smoked_salmon.jpg (270.71 KiB) Viewed 3535 times

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:31 pm

Has any one looked up the difference between brining and curing? It is very interesting.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:27 pm

gringo, John Thomas is a great guy
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:35 pm

Moved from river forum to here
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

TedBull
Petty Officer

Post by TedBull » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:07 pm

There is alot of good info in here. I dont have a smoker yet but am thinking hard about getting one very soon. What should I look for in a smoker? Will the $100 smoker at fred meyer do the trick? I would probably only use it for fish, and probably only use it during salmon fishing season so it wouldnt have to be huge or fancy I wouldnt think.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:06 pm

yes it will. i believe your talkin about a big cheif by luhr jensen. i have one and love it. i use a card board box around it to help make more heat and a keep the smoke in longer
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Post by crappiemaster » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:33 pm

all of those brines sound great! I am not trying to take away from the salmon topic, but do you think they would work with deer? I am thinking I need a good jery recipe and some of the salmon ones look pretty good!

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:04 pm

a quart of water, cup of salt and a cup of sugar is a good brine and a easy one. this is what i use to make jerky out of beef or deer. then add desired spices as a rub

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:10 pm

Mmmm smoked deer sounds superb LOL. I'd maybe try a more teriyaki-weighted recipe.

LORDY DOG that looks like salmon jerky! I love jerky BTW... Think next batch I will smoke up a bit longer and with more teriyaki. U guys are inspiring me.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Surprised at what I've forgotten, thanks for the refresher on the science of smoking. Great recipes here! I might try some thing other than just my usual orange juice concentrate brine. I've heard apple juice works also, for those who like to tinker.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:39 pm

MarkFromSea wrote:Surprised at what I've forgotten, thanks for the refresher on the science of smoking. Great recipes here! I might try some thing other than just my usual orange juice concentrate brine. I've heard apple juice works also, for those who like to tinker.
Apple is great!!! If your smoker is big enough, brine a turkey in the apple brine and smoke it for a few hours keeping the temp down then finish in the oven.

Thanksgiving dinner you won't forget!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:37 pm

Found this hand written recipe dated 8/25/03.
SMOKED SALMON - REED STYLE
1/2 gallon water
16 oz can frozen orange juice concentrate
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup non iodized salt
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground pepper

brine for 24 hours in fridge, non metallic container
stir fish/brine each 2-3 hours if able
fish on greased racks
air dry 3 hours
smoke for 2 to 5 hours depending on desired product dryness, outdoor temp, wind
change chips 2-3 times when smoke ceases
apple or alder

My little chiefs are 30-40 yrs old, so, the temp is up to them. The box is on the smokers.

Here's a brine I'm doing right now as a result of reading these WaLakes recipes:
10 filleted pinks cut in 6 pieces each
1 quart frozen orange juice concentrate
3 quarts water
1 cup salt
4 cups sugar
3 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons pepper

All ingredients into a cooler, mix and let steep for 15-30 minutes, add fish, stir fish pieces around, place cooler in fridge. I've got a spare fridge for this purpose. I'll stir my fish pieces around each 2-3 hours for the next 24 hrs when I'm able.

The brine tastes pretty darn good! My only concern is the salt/water to lbs of fish ratio. I suspect by the time 24 hours is up, the brine will be more like a slurry consistency and that has been the reason I usually don't rinse it off, it tastes like candy, if anything, I'd like to inject more of it into the fish. LOL I'll rinse some to see how that goes.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:20 am

Aha! I never thought to use a cooler! I've got a bunch more fish to brine, but I can't do batches that big yet, I have to stagger them out. I've got two recipes in the works, I'll post an update on how it works out. BTW I filled my second catch card today at the carbon, I'll post a report later tonight. SOOOOO much tasty chrome to smoke!!!!!!!

chefjake99
Warrant Officer

Post by chefjake99 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:10 am

Here is a batch I made at the restaurant.

Water 2 gal
Salt (kosher or flaked sea salt) 4 cup
Extra dark brown sugar. 4 lbs
Dark molasses 2 cup

- mix all together pour over the salmon and brine
For 16 - 24 hours.

- I smoke the salmon at 125 degrees for 6-8 hours
I mix 3 cups honey 1 cup water and brush it
On the fish every 1 1/2 hrs or so.

:chef:
Attachments
photo-4.JPG
photo-4.JPG (295.08 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
photo-3.JPG
photo-3.JPG (311.35 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clar

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:23 am

Does the honey/molasses give it a nice glaze, or does it end up flavoring the fish as well? I'm gonna try some honey on my next batch, we've got a bunch from some friends honey farm in Lewis County that should be really good.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:28 am

natetreat wrote:Aha! I never thought to use a cooler! I've got a bunch more fish to brine, but I can't do batches that big yet, I have to stagger them out. I've got two recipes in the works, I'll post an update on how it works out. BTW I filled my second catch card today at the carbon, I'll post a report later tonight. SOOOOO much tasty chrome to smoke!!!!!!!
Way to go on the second catch record card! It was looking mighty full the other day, you've picked up 6? since Thursday! Busy Busy! LOL Looking forward to seeing a recipe that you've found satisfactory.

Chef, molasses crossed my mind today. Didn't have any on hand so stuck with my OJ. Nice to see your recipe. I'm writing that one down! Thanks!

Just looked at the pictures,,,,,,,,,CANDY!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :) :) :)
Last edited by MarkFromSea on Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

chefjake99
Warrant Officer

Post by chefjake99 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:31 am

natetreat wrote:Does the honey/molasses give it a nice glaze, or does it end up flavoring the fish as well? I'm gonna try some honey on my next batch, we've got a bunch from some friends honey farm in Lewis County that should be really good.

Nate -

The molasses is in the brine and adds flavor to the fish. The honey / water mix is brushed on while smoking and gives it a nice thick caramelized glaze. Good local honey cant be beat I used honey from a place called heavenly farms Buckwheat honey. Let me know how it turns out.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clar

chefjake99
Warrant Officer

Post by chefjake99 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:37 am

MarkFromSea wrote:
natetreat wrote:Aha! I never thought to use a cooler! I've got a bunch more fish to brine, but I can't do batches that big yet, I have to stagger them out. I've got two recipes in the works, I'll post an update on how it works out. BTW I filled my second catch card today at the carbon, I'll post a report later tonight. SOOOOO much tasty chrome to smoke!!!!!!!
Way to go on the second catch record card! It was looking mighty full the other day, you've picked up 6? since Thursday! Busy Busy! LOL Looking forward to seeing a recipe that you've found satisfactory.

Chef, molasses crossed my mind today. Didn't have any on hand so stuck with my OJ. Nice to see your recipe. I'm writing that one down! Thanks!

Mark-

You are very welcome sir I am glad that I can contribute more to this site than just my mediocre fishing skills.

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”