7-inch Senko?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
gavran8
Petty Officer

7-inch Senko?

Post by gavran8 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:51 pm

I want to go after the big fish, both during the day and at night. I went to the local fishing store and was unable to find any 7" Senkos. I was thinking about buying these online, but was curious what colors people would recommend around here. I don't want to have to buy a rainbow of colors when really only a few colors are actually effective.

Also, what size and type of hooks should I buy for these? For big plastics, are there any you like better than large Senkos? What's a good webiste to buy from? Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

-gavran

kzoo
Commodore

RE:7-inch Senko?

Post by kzoo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:02 pm

My favorite colors for senkos or any plastics is green pumpkin, with senkos I like the green pumpkin with black flakes. If the water clarity is really clear I switch to watermelon colors. I haven't used 7-inch senkos for a while, but I'd start with a 5/0 hook.

Other big plastics would be big creature baits, like Zoom Brush Hogs. Also look into Jig n Pigs, big bite lures.
Last edited by kzoo on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:22 pm

Pumkin is my goto color. I've never used the 7 inch ones, but I would imagine that they're just like the 6 incher that I use, just bump up the hook to a 5/0. I like to wacky rig 'em, I get better hook ups when I use them that way and a little more action. But when you're fishing weedy places, weedless works too. I only fish a couple of places for bass on my off days, but I do catch them quite a bit.

kenimes
Petty Officer

Post by kenimes » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:50 pm

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:20 pm

GY is a favorite brand because of the weight they have. When you get into bigger baits worms creature etc there are alot to choose from. I wouldn`t waste the time with GY if your going bigger in baits due to the fact they don`t last as long as the others. Just my opinion. Don`t get me wrong GY are some of my favorite sencos to use I have a couple tied on right now in the boat. As far as where to buy baits Tackle Wharehouse Bass Depot and Monster Tackle are great. Google bass tackle and you`ll get thousands.
Last edited by rjn cajun on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3riversbasser
Petty Officer

Post by 3riversbasser » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:37 am

Three Rivers Marine in Woodinville has them. You can call those guys and they will get them out to you next day. Call 425.415.1575 and ask for Kent or Brandon. I typically run a 6/0 owner wide gap plus or even a 6/0 gamakatsu EWG monster, biggest thing is making sure you have enough gap to account for the thicker bait and have a big enough gauge hook that won't bend when you put the screws to 'em.

As for colors, it's hard to go wrong with shades of Green Pumpkin or Watermelon.

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:49 pm

If the Bass want to chase a bait, senkos are too "slow" to fish. Alot of times with warmer water
the Bass want to "chase" a bait. They will catch Bass in the heat but IMO your missing alot of
the bass that are most aggressive. Sometimes you can't burn a bait fast enough to get their
attention. Warm water the Bass's metabolism is in high gear, match presentation to bass's behavior.

Spinnerbaits, Topwater baits, Slugos, jerkbaits, crankbaits, look for the "aggressive" bass then
slow down and strain water with senkos,jig/pig,softplastics. Pull the aggressive fish away from
the structures and out of cover "first" nailing the biters. Then target stuctures, with senkos and
other vertical type lures.

Bass Pro shop has the big senkos as well as 10" power worms, Anglers Choice also has the big senkos-
[Shoreline/co line]
Last edited by spindog on Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:22 am

rjn cajun wrote:GY is a favorite brand because of the weight they have. When you get into bigger baits worms creature etc there are alot to choose from. I wouldn`t waste the time with GY if your going bigger in baits due to the fact they don`t last as long as the others. Just my opinion. Don`t get me wrong GY are some of my favorite sencos to use I have a couple tied on right now in the boat.
Not sure I agree with this. The man wants to fish a 7" Senko, but you are telling him you don't recommend GY if you are fishing large. What 7" senko knock off do you suggest ?

Hey Gavran. What type of rod and line will you be throwing this 7" on ? I typically fish my 5" senkos and such with 10 lb test, not saying its the best, I just don't throw the normal stuff on heavy tackle. Now that you are stepping up in size, are you going to be using the same rod and line? Bigger hook, bigger bait, bigger fish is the goal. I want to make sure you are using stout enough tackle since you are taking the step up in bait size. :)

100% agree with SPINDOG
Last edited by ChrisB on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
aka Powerworm

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:58 pm

ChrisB wrote:
rjn cajun wrote:GY is a favorite brand because of the weight they have. When you get into bigger baits worms creature etc there are alot to choose from. I wouldn`t waste the time with GY if your going bigger in baits due to the fact they don`t last as long as the others. Just my opinion. Don`t get me wrong GY are some of my favorite sencos to use I have a couple tied on right now in the boat.
Not sure I agree with this. The man wants to fish a 7" Senko, but you are telling him you don't recommend GY if you are fishing large. What 7" senko knock off do you suggest ?

Hey Gavran. What type of rod and line will you be throwing this 7" on ? I typically fish my 5" senkos and such with 10 lb test, not saying its the best, I just don't throw the normal stuff on heavy tackle. Now that you are stepping up in size, are you going to be using the same rod and line? Bigger hook, bigger bait, bigger fish is the goal. I want to make sure you are using stout enough tackle since you are taking the step up in bait size. :)

100% agree with SPINDOG
ChrisB I'm not at all telling the guy not to use GY. What I'm telling him is there are more choices then GY. If he likes them thats great I like them also as well as 100's of other guys and gals. I brought the point of GY tearing easier then the others I have used. Yum makes the Mightee worm that is great and in my opinion is very close to GY. Power Team has the big ribbon tail. But just in the last 6 months I've found Doc Irv Custom Baits. If I fish big worms I use the Irvco stick bait. Like I said in the previous post this is my opinion. Sorry about the thread hijack.

gavran8
Petty Officer

Post by gavran8 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:34 am

ChrisB,

I'm currently using a 6' 6" rod with 10lbs test. I'll soon be using a larger pole designed more for steelhead. What bigger line would you recommend for fishing big bass tackle including plastic frogs?

-Gavran8

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:11 am

3riversbasser wrote:Three Rivers Marine in Woodinville has them. You can call those guys and they will get them out to you next day. Call 425.415.1575 and ask for Kent or Brandon. I typically run a 6/0 owner wide gap plus or even a 6/0 gamakatsu EWG monster, biggest thing is making sure you have enough gap to account for the thicker bait and have a big enough gauge hook that won't bend when you put the screws to 'em.

As for colors, it's hard to go wrong with shades of Green Pumpkin or Watermelon.
Good to have you on the site Jordan!

Check Three Rivers out, probably best selection of bass gear for the local waters. Only complaint I have is that I wish they had one closer to me!
Last edited by kzoo on Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:29 am

rjn cajun wrote:
ChrisB wrote:
ChrisB I'm not at all telling the guy not to use GY. What I'm telling him is there are more choices then GY. If he likes them thats great I like them also as well as 100's of other guys and gals. I brought the point of GY tearing easier then the others I have used. Yum makes the Mightee worm that is great and in my opinion is very close to GY. Power Team has the big ribbon tail. But just in the last 6 months I've found Doc Irv Custom Baits. If I fish big worms I use the Irvco stick bait. Like I said in the previous post this is my opinion. Sorry about the thread hijack.

Nothing personal Cajon, I was kinda in one of those moods. I was looking more for 7" senko style alternative suggestions. The baits you like sound like good baits no doubt, Doc has been around a long time, though I haven't tryed them. I agree GY do tear easy, but they catch them more than the knock offs in my opinion.
How big is Doc's stick bait ? I was thinking of getting his cow tongue, but never did. :)
Catch a hog Cajon !

Ok, back on topic.
aka Powerworm

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:54 am

gavran8 wrote:ChrisB,

I'm currently using a 6' 6" rod with 10lbs test. I'll soon be using a larger pole designed more for steelhead. What bigger line would you recommend for fishing big bass tackle including plastic frogs?

-Gavran8

Well for frogs, plastic horny toad style, and hollow body frogs you should go with Braided line. I had been burned many times before I made the switch. I'm a little stubborn lol.
As for the 7" senko, if you are wacky rigging it, you could get away with 10lb test, but be aware that bait is going to draw bigger fish.... not to mention your rod tip is going to bend quite a bit since its heavier, will be harder to cast. I think a baitcast setup with 15 lb line would be perfect for a 7" senko, up to 20 even (flourocarbon). If you are asking what kind of line I would use, we all have our favorites. A quality mono, co-poly, or flourocarbon will do the job, your choice depending on budget.
Gamma Co-polymer is the ish in my opinion but its hard to find. I use Seaguar flourocarbon, Invisx, or Abrazx.
aka Powerworm

basspro
Warrant Officer

Post by basspro » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:16 pm

Come by and check our Tackle selection at Limit Out Marine in Pacific. Now stocking Yamamoto,Sniper,Panic Minnow,Jackal, Zip Baits, Power Team Lures,Trash Fish Swim Baits, Sun Line,Izor Line, Gamagastu Hooks, Football Heads,Quick Drops,Paychecks Baits, Koppers Frogs,etc.

Russ
Last edited by basspro on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.