Soft Plastic Help

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
clarkhess122
Petty Officer

Soft Plastic Help

Post by clarkhess122 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:07 pm

I've been trying to use soft plastics more but I can't seem to get the hang of it.:-k Any tips on using them? I know that plastics are a huge fish producer but I just haven't had any luck with them.
Clark Hess:
Born to fish, forced to work.

fishingmachine
Admiral

RE:Soft Plastic Help

Post by fishingmachine » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:20 pm

What about the plastics are you wondering. One of the easiest rigs you can use is a texas rig or weightless rig for largemouth and a dropshot rig is always a producer for smallmouth.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Do you want to know where to use them, how to use them, when to use them, how to set the hook?
Tom.

Interests: living

deepbuzzer
Petty Officer

Post by deepbuzzer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:06 pm

Actually a better fish producer is a jig with a berkley havok pit boss trailer. A jig will normally catch larger fish. And another technique to use is a shakey head with a roboworm. Look up how to fish plastics on youtube and you will be inundated with a wealth of information.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:32 pm

YouTube is indeed a pretty good source. A better option is to hook up with a WL member that is a good basser and learn from them. A third method might be to hook up with a good guide for a day.

My dad started to learn how to fish with "rubber worms" 45 plus years ago, back when "rubber worms" were just catching on. He had to teach himself everything. I learned all that he knew, and by the time I was in my very early teens started to learn more then he ever knew, by watching TV, by experimenting, by reading, etc.

The moral of the story is that it can take a lifetime to get good at soft baits if you try to learn on your own, but it can take much much less time if you have help. On the other hand, you will still be learning a lifetime.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Bass Woody
Petty Officer

Post by Bass Woody » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:18 am

what have you been using before plastic? maybe you are doing it right but doubting because its new? more info
LIP RIPPER

clarkhess122
Petty Officer

Post by clarkhess122 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:33 am

I've had crankbaits produce the most for me. This is pretty much my first year doing serious bass fishing and I haven't hooked into any good size ones yet, so I'm thinkin this might be what I'm missing. The biggest trouble for me is knowing which situations to fish them in and how to tell when I get a hit. It might be that I just need to fish one more, but I try to fish plastics a little bit every time I go out.
Clark Hess:

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:22 am

I'm a plastic junkie. It's my preferred method. You can fish so many plastics in so many ways under so many conditions. I think plastics mimic natural forage and as such, are productive. I believe too, you must have confidence in them, like any other bait. For me, I like to use creature baits, grubs, plastic worms, etc. I typically fish weedless. They all have a place and I just go with my vibe when I'm on the water, based on conditions. Throw em anywhere. What's worked for me has been to leave everything else behind and just concentrate on the plastics I have. As in anything bass fishing, they are just a tool and a part of being versatile
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:47 am

You need to be a line watcher when using soft baits with no weight. Your gonna see the line move before you feel a fish. Toss that thing around logs brush piles docks and pads. Anything you think will hold bass. Let it sit and sink slow wiggle it and do anything to make it move but look real. Like the fellas said the internet is a very helpful tool but nothing is better then time on the water and confidence in whatever bait you are using.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:37 pm

Here is an article from our bass person, Bruce Middleton:

Plastics Baits and How to Rig Them

It gives a pretty good overview of the subject.
Last edited by Mike Carey on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

clarkhess122
Petty Officer

Post by clarkhess122 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:50 pm

Thats a fantastic article^ I hadn't looked at that part of the website yet but I sure am looking now. lots of really good info and thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I'll be sure to put it to good use!:)
Clark Hess: