First Year Salmon Fishing (River)

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
gordonbair
Petty Officer

First Year Salmon Fishing (River)

Post by gordonbair » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:25 am

After several years of debating with myself and questioning if I would really do it, I decided that this year is the year. I want to join the madness that is Western Washington Salmon fishing. I think I may need to check into Western Hospital though.

I have several years of stream/river fishing experience in Idaho as well as pan-fish and bass.

I don't have hip-waders so I will have to either get wet or fish from the bank. The Puyallup river is very close by as well as the Green River and the Nisqually (45' Drive).

So, what are my options? Any best bets for the area's least populated with people? What type of rigging should I use? I currently have a 1/2oz sinker on a swivel (free floating) tied to a barrel swivel. Then I have about 6' of leader tied to a 1/O hook with a corky above it.

Whats the best way to fish, what are the best colors, what is the best time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

knotabassturd
Captain

RE:First Year Salmon Fishing (River)

Post by knotabassturd » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:42 am

Oh no, I hope you are not a dry fly fisherman of streams/rivers in, say, southeast Idaho. If so I must apologize to you before you actually start fishing the rivers. And yes, keep Western State Hospital phone # close at hand. Maybe even speed dial.

That said, the rivers you mention it will probably be pink salmon you want to cut your teeth on. They are OK biters even for salmon in fresh water rivers (in salt they tend to be real good biters, not leader shy and such).

Reading thru the report threads of those rivers from 2009 might help you get some general sense of what was working the last major pink run. And keeping up on this year's reports will help too.

If you use the rig you mention, the weight will be the major thing to play with IMO when on the river to match the river flow. Leader length kinda depends on what you are trying to accomplish.:-$

As far as trying to get a feel for/getting used to crowds, just head down to Dash Pt pier any time during daylight any day of the week.

Good luck.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

Jerry H
Warrant Officer

Post by Jerry H » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:10 am

This is a Pink (Humpy) year. The Green and Puyallup are combat fisheries on even years, odd years it's just plain madness with pinks in the rivers. So put on your happy face, join the madness, enjoy the entertainment and have a good time.

It sounds like you have the basic set up about right. The amount of weight will depend on where you are fishing and the amount of current. I use a 4 foot leader or less. When the pinks are in the river anything more then that and you are just flossing them. There are enough fish that you don't need to do that and it will help avoid conflict with some on the river. As for color of corky any color you want as long as it's pink (when going for Pinks) and latter in the year when the Chum are in the river green is the go to color. Hook size is controlled by the fishing regulations. Check regs. for the river you are on and where you are on the river. A short piece of yarn and some sent doesn't hurt. Good Luck

gordonbair
Petty Officer

Post by gordonbair » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:13 am

I understand the weight issue, more weight for faster flow, less for less. Regarding the leader length. I guess I am trying to get a fish or two. Does length really matter? (In fishing leaders:) ) Another thing, how far up stream does one cast? I used to do a similar tactic with just split-shot and a salmon egg for cutthroat. In this case I would cast just slightly upstream and follow my bait with my pole tip. Half the time I wouldn't even cast, just flip.

And no, I hail from northern Idaho, but I love to dry fly fish when they are hitting. I just love to see the fish swirl and bite the fly. Especially when it was one I made.

gordonbair
Petty Officer

Post by gordonbair » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:24 am

Any area of the river that you know of that is easier for bank fishing? Also, does F&G use gps coordinates to determine the end and beginning of each fishing area?

Jerry H
Warrant Officer

Post by Jerry H » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:25 am

Long leader and you floss the fish (not a popular way to fish). You will see some fishing 10 foot leaders. stick with your 6 foot really 4 foot is plenty and you will get plenty of fish. As for where to cast watch what everyone else is doing and do the same other wise you will tangle up and not be very popular. Also match the set up and weight of everyone you are fishing next to. Other wise you will get tangled. !!!! MOST IMPORTANT !!!!!! THE GUY DOWN STREAM CASTS FIRST!!!!!!!!!

Jerry H
Warrant Officer

Post by Jerry H » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:30 am

GPS locations are mostly on open water. On the rivers it is generally physical locations roads, intersections, towns,river crossings, markers etc.

gordonbair
Petty Officer

Post by gordonbair » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:39 am

Got the leader length. I thought 6' was a bit too long, I'll definitely shorten it. What about using a swivel on the main line to attach to a barrel swivel? It seems like it would be a lot easier to change tackle that way. But is that too many connections that can break? I generally use ball bearing swivels that have a lock tab, not the traditional swivel.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:47 am

what kind of rod do you plan to use Gordon? A typical salmon rod is usually 8'6" to 10'6". I would probably reommend a sensitive medium light action rod. It will help you tell the difference between the ticks from rocks and a legitimate bite. It also will have enough backbone if you hook into a small silver. Use mono instead of braid. You dont want to snag into a log and leave tons of braided line in the water. Also use pencil lead with surgical tubing. Let it free slide on your mainline. The last thing to bring is a sense of humor. You will see fisherman get into silly fights over humpies.
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

gordonbair
Petty Officer

Post by gordonbair » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:53 am

I have an 8.5' graphite rod, 12# mono-filament line, medium action. Regarding the weight, I already purchased the ball weights, I used to use snubber's when I fished for Kokanee. The weight is free-floating on the line though, attached with swivel and a bead above the barrel swivel. What about using a swivel to attach to the barrel swivel? Seems like it would make it a lot easier to change gear.

Jerry H
Warrant Officer

Post by Jerry H » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:57 am

Go with barrel swivels, Ball bearing swivels are way too expensive to hang on the bottom. If you're not snagging bottom occasionally you're not fishing deep enough.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:07 am

Those cannonball weights are fine. I use a free sliding snap swivel on the mainline to a bead and then a snap swivel again which I attach the leader to. I like the pencil lead because if the lead is snagged in something, then i can free the rest of my gear when it pops off the surgical tubing. Its just the way I setup my drift fishing rig. Jerry is also correct about the leader length. Dont go with 10 feet haha. You will get unfriedly looks,

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:43 am

If yout feeling adventerous and its not a combat zone, use a trout rod with a pink jig. Just cast out and twitch it back to you. When a pink hits your jig, enjoy the ride. I've seen it done before with a 5 foot trout rod. Make sure you pinch your barbs and read the reg book.

gordonbair
Petty Officer

Post by gordonbair » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:48 am

I have three pink jigs and pink buzz bomb. I was originally going to do that with my bait-caster but I may just try it with my spin-cast too. After all, I love a good fish fight. Trout rod is a 7' graphite 2piece. Ten pound test on the spool.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:14 am

Flossing is an art that pinks love. Snagging is different. I fish a 5ft leader down there and I floss my fish. I hooked 9 in 45 min and one was in the tail only the rest was legally in the mouth. Pink corky pink yarn 1/2oz 5ft leader. Cast around 11 oclock or 2 depending on river flow dir. Keep the tip down and slowly raise it. Bring tip back down and slowly raise. Dont set the hook its just a movement of your rod to keep tension on the line and move you hook differntly then normal. They love it and will bite. When ya feel em set it. Its easy effective and perfectly legal. pinch your barbs for sure. There is inforcement out and about. Seen them today.
More fish please!