Fishing & hunting license price increases

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Conky
Angler

Fishing & hunting license price increases

Post by Conky » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:49 am

For those of you who may of not heard about it.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/release.php?id=aug0511a

islandbass
Commander

RE:Fishing & hunting license price increases

Post by islandbass » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:16 am

Wow, that sux. They keep dinging us because they know they can, and we've no choice because we love to fish. After dealer fee, it's probably going to be closer to $30.00. #-o

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:16 pm

I didn't see anywhere where they posted the the cost of a new license. Anybody know? They're already too expensive. Ya, I know, I remember when the limit of trout was 20, and the license was $6.00 .
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Big D

Post by Big D » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:36 pm

Here's the price list Joe. http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/license_fees.html

Personally, my time on the water is worth a whole lot more than the cost of a fishing license. I’d gladly pay ten times the amount the state charges now if I had too just to be outside. It saves me a lot of cash in the long run on shrink bills.
Last edited by Big D on Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

yooper_fisher
Lieutenant

Post by yooper_fisher » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:07 pm

is it just me, or is the two rod endorsement going to be cheaper?

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:28 pm

It will be about $30.00 and as far as I can see, when buying a license you still get the WDFW parking permit free.

We really shouldn't complain too much, at least for the general fishing license. Compared to the surrounding states, we are paying less, far less than California, which is $43.46 However, theirs includes fresh and saltwater. You guys living on the west side really get nailed if you want to fish both the freshwater and saltwater.

I would like to see license fees reduced for all veterans and lower the seniors discount to 62 years old. After all, many of us have been buying licenses for 40 years or more.

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:25 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:It will be about $30.00 and as far as I can see, when buying a license you still get the WDFW parking permit free.

We really shouldn't complain too much, at least for the general fishing license. Compared to the surrounding states, we are paying less, far less than California, which is $43.46 However, theirs includes fresh and saltwater. You guys living on the west side really get nailed if you want to fish both the freshwater and saltwater.

I would like to see license fees reduced for all veterans and lower the seniors discount to 62 years old. After all, many of us have been buying licenses for 40 years or more.

Totally agree. We shouldn't complain and vets and seniors should be taken care of. And, no, I don't fit either category and happily pay full price.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:15 pm

Big D wrote:Here's the price list Joe. http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/license_fees.html
Thanks BigD. Man, am I ever glad I don't hunt deer, elk & small game anymore. I know they need the revenue but I see the middle class being pushed closer & closer to poor.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Mossy
Lieutenant

Post by Mossy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:37 am

Marc Martyn wrote:It will be about $30.00 and as far as I can see, when buying a license you still get the WDFW parking permit free.

Well, I do have to complain a little bit. For instance, Arkansas hunting license is $25 which includes 6 deer and 2 turkey tags to our 1 and 1($) for turkey tag. Fishing license is $10.50. Restrictions on fishing and hunting are fewer, yet fees are lower and daily limits are higher. I understand they might have more river systems but these are also for lake habitats. Just an example, but if I remember correctly, maine or vermont has a 5 or 6 deer limit as well.

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:02 am

I can see why most don't like the increase and compare to other states. It doesn't make sense to me why we can't get our s*** straight. I agree too, that veterans and seniors need to be taken care of...it's just right. Like it or not tho, it is, what it is. I figure I'll just have to fish more to offset the cost. I hate paying more for anything...but I do it
Last edited by BassDood on Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:54 pm

Mossy wrote: Well, I do have to complain a little bit. For instance, Arkansas hunting license is $25 which includes 6 deer and 2 turkey tags to our 1 and 1($) for turkey tag. Fishing license is $10.50. Restrictions on fishing and hunting are fewer, yet fees are lower and daily limits are higher. I understand they might have more river systems but these are also for lake habitats. Just an example, but if I remember correctly, maine or vermont has a 5 or 6 deer limit as well.
Mossy, that is like comparing the District of Columbia to Alaska in size. Not having ever been to Arkansas, I looked up their fish and game website.

Here are Arkansas' statistics:
More than 600,000 acres of lakes and 9,700 miles of rivers and streams fuel Arkansas' excellent angling reputation. The 52 Arkansas Game and Fish Commission lakes are scattered throughout the Natural State and are lakes tailor-made for your angling enjoyment.

In Eastern Washington Region 1, here are the statistics:
The area has 1,522 lakes, 11 reservoirs, and more than 600 streams, including major tributaries of the Columbia River. About 86 percent of these waters are actively managed for trout, salmon, and other fish species, including 39 fishing access sites and 6 fish hatcheries.

There are more lakes in King Co. than in the entire state of Arkansas.

Mossy
Lieutenant

Post by Mossy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:37 pm

My point was geared more towards the hunting limits. I don't really have a problem with fishing license prices here since there are rivers/lakes open year round.
It just gets me that prices go up while limits and time go down.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:47 pm

It has always been like that. I remember in the '60's when the fishing license was about $6.00 and the limit on trout was 12.

Costs go up, there is no way to prevent that.

Conky
Angler

Post by Conky » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:45 am

BassDood wrote:It doesn't make sense to me why we can't get our s*** straight.
"Fishing and hunting contribute more than $1.4 billion a year to the state’s economy, benefitting local communities, small business owners and the people they employ" Anderson said...

With that kind of claimed contributions, you know easily half of that goes in the states pocket. Yeah, you would think they could get their $*!t straight.

I'll still buy a freshwater license, as long as it doesn't double in price.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:37 am

I would rather pay an extra few dollars to fish than the $80 dollar propoed car tabs increase for Seattle residents.
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

Mossy
Lieutenant

Post by Mossy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:02 am

Ricky wrote:
BassDood wrote:It doesn't make sense to me why we can't get our s*** straight.
"Fishing and hunting contribute more than $1.4 billion a year to the state’s economy, benefitting local communities, small business owners and the people they employ" Anderson said...

With that kind of claimed contributions, you know easily half of that goes in the states pocket. Yeah, you would think they could get their $*!t straight.

I'll still buy a freshwater license, as long as it doesn't double in price.

It will, eventually:)

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:14 am

“The new fees are critically important in maintaining fishing and hunting opportunity and make it possible for the department to fulfill its dual mission of conserving species while providing sustainable fishing, hunting and outdoor recreation across the state,”

"Without the license fee increase, WDFW would have been forced to make major cuts in hunting and fishing seasons and opportunities. "

I say they double the cost of licenses, and double the limits and manage fisheries and hunting properly. It ridiculous that they keep shrinking seasons, putting a bunch of restrictions on sportfishermen like we're the reason why the wildlife populations are dwindling.

How much does it cost them to say "the fishing season is open"? Priorities in Washington state are all wonky. Whatever. I'll still fish here until I move.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:14 am

My fishing licence cost actually goes down about 6 bucks..........???? combo, second pole, PS crab......... I think they lowered the second pole to encourage more fishers to buy it. Hence, they will pull in more money due to increased sales. Sounds like a "Reagan" approach to me.

I missed the WDFW ramp pass info, I'll reread it. I am concerned that we'll be popped that extra $30 for fishing at WDFW ramps, hope I'm wrong......

Does anyone have info on fishing license sales? Is it going up or down? How many, percentage wise, fishers no longer buy any license? Any guesses?

Big D, I agree with you to a certain extent, but NOT, LOL, 10 times the price. Certainly saves on having to get a shrink. Although, my better half thinks I should see a shrink about my fishing addiction. LOL I'm just as excited to pull perch and trout out of an ice covered lake as I am to battle a 30 pound king off of the coast.

I no longer use motels or resorts when I fish solo. I bring my food instead of buying at cafes or restaurants. I don't make as many trips to E WA. I use my old flashers and dodgers instead of buying new ones. I dig my own worms when time allows. I cut back quite a bit on other purchases where I can so I can keep fishing. I've got an Ace Hi fly that has caught dozens of salmon so far, last and this year. I only bought a dozen herring this year. Next year, I won't buy any herring. I drive slower. I've had good fishing this year. Next, well, I'll probably be working out of state so fishing time will be limited. Our little heating & A/C company business has dried up and it's back to the boats for me. This is sort of a last blast fishing year for me, ice fishing was great, spring bass was difficult but ended with a bang, killed the trout till the bass bite picked up, pan fish was great, crabbing has been incredible, and to finish off the summer>>> Salmon!!!!!!!!!! OSVs off the coast of Louisiana I'm a heading, Sept/Oct I expect. Eh, we'll see. LOL It's all good!
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:40 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:
Mossy wrote: Well, I do have to complain a little bit. For instance, Arkansas hunting license is $25 which includes 6 deer and 2 turkey tags to our 1 and 1($) for turkey tag. Fishing license is $10.50. Restrictions on fishing and hunting are fewer, yet fees are lower and daily limits are higher. I understand they might have more river systems but these are also for lake habitats. Just an example, but if I remember correctly, maine or vermont has a 5 or 6 deer limit as well.
Mossy, that is like comparing the District of Columbia to Alaska in size. Not having ever been to Arkansas, I looked up their fish and game website.

Here are Arkansas' statistics:
More than 600,000 acres of lakes and 9,700 miles of rivers and streams fuel Arkansas' excellent angling reputation. The 52 Arkansas Game and Fish Commission lakes are scattered throughout the Natural State and are lakes tailor-made for your angling enjoyment.

In Eastern Washington Region 1, here are the statistics:
The area has 1,522 lakes, 11 reservoirs, and more than 600 streams, including major tributaries of the Columbia River. About 86 percent of these waters are actively managed for trout, salmon, and other fish species, including 39 fishing access sites and 6 fish hatcheries.

There are more lakes in King Co. than in the entire state of Arkansas.
Marc, just to clarify, you're only listing the commision lakes. Arkansas actually has 1,804 lakes per this notation:

http://www.chacha.com/question/how-many ... n-arkansas

This site has an expanded list:

http://www.arkansasstripers.com/arkansas-lakes.htm

No ArkansasLakes.com out there. Hmmm...

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:29 pm

[rolleyes] Oh, forgot to check ChaCha.com along with the Arkansas Fish and Game Dept.