Chinoook salmon river fishing?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Chinoook salmon river fishing?

Post by kingfisher101 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:12 pm

Ok so im new to salmon/steelhead fishing and i need some help.what rivers do you guys think i should try this year for kings i really want to hook one up.and could you name the river and tell me like what to use like say corky and yarn could you give me the color of the yarn and corky,or what ever.thanks everyone.please help
Good luck-KingFisher

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Chinoook salmon river fishing?

Post by natetreat » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:21 pm

Go to the Skok, Puyallup, Nisqually or the Cowlitz. Go to steelheaduniversity.com and figure out how to drift fish. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=drift+fishing+technique The color depends on the water clarity. Also get yourself some good eggs. A bobber and jig tackle box, and a box of good vibrax spinners in the metallic colors and chartreuse. Get some stink, three flavors at least, you never know what they'll want. And then go fishing. A lot. Fish where everybody else is fishing, and watch what they're doing.

Those of us that nail fish worked hard to learn our rivers, conditions, tackle and technique. I put in hundreds of hours on the water to get the fish that I got last year, and drove a lot more. I'm glad my wife loves eating fish. Lots of research, lots of fishing and lots of practice will give you the experience to know when to go, when to stay home and what to use. When you do catch your first, you'll know why there are those of us out there that do crazy things to catch crazy fish.

kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Post by kingfisher101 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:39 pm

thanks..going to dash point on friday and on thursday going on a boat on puget sound so 2 days of that, then next week probably gonna try skokomish just need a little bit more research on that then soon im going to try skykomish.for skykomish i use super vibrax copper spinners and mepps aglia's and im going to try drift fishing an orange corky and black yarn with some shrimp scent.skokomish, fish bait told me to use black yarn orange corky for kings i think if i dont get no luck on skokomish with that set up ill try pink corky and pink yarn for some river pinks..so lets hope i can hook up to atleast one fish
Good luck-KingFisher

kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Post by kingfisher101 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:20 pm

Could anyone else help to? i just need some info and stuff...like what color corky's and what color yarns im trying to get more into drift fishing.i spinner fish the skykomish i just need some help on colors what weights to use like slinkies or bobbers lead or what ever how many feet of the leader is best or if you could pm me some pictrues of the setup that would be more easier to visualize
Good luck-KingFisher

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:24 am

PM sent.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

MrJohn
Petty Officer

Post by MrJohn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:55 am

Where are you located?

Just about all the rivers will have king runs but you need to pay close attention to the regs as they open close at different times and have different rules such as whether hooks have to be barbless or not or even whether you can fish from a floating device.

Pick a river near you and that way you'll have more opportunity to learn that water.

Colors vary from specie to specie and river to river. If you want to catch pinks/humpies, use pink and maybe you'll get a king on. I did once.

Ask at the most local sporting goods store, ask the fishers you see at the river or watch to see what colors they are using.

Good luck. Its one of my goals too.

akochman09
Petty Officer

Post by akochman09 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:22 pm

if you can go to the samish. tons of kings in there.

kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Post by kingfisher101 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:28 pm

ok thanks for all the info ill try the samish soon
Good luck-KingFisher

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:01 pm

For the Skok, hit it early in the morning one hour before sunrise if possible. Bring some good eggs and sand shrimp, and you'll be set. Hit the Cedar Hole mentioned above or the Guard Rail Hole down towards the mouth. Another good spot if you get there early, is the log jam below Purdy Creek. Once the sun gets high they don't seem to bite as well in that spot.

kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Post by kingfisher101 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:00 pm

Im going ot try cedar hole and one more hole well i use orange corky and black yarn that seems to work ok with alot of people ill probably head out there like in 2 weeks i'll see
Good luck-KingFisher

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:25 pm

Bring a bunch of different corky colors and yarn and see what works best for you !!!!! I think everyone has there own favorite color combos.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:33 pm

you have to pay on the samish tho, 20 bucks a day and 100 for the year
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Post by kingfisher101 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Hmm well then screw the samish 20$ for a day rip off i can get in most parks and stuff for free so im good
Good luck-KingFisher