Baker Lake report! Pic heavy.

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Racer
Warrant Officer

RE:Baker Lake report! Pic heavy.

Post by Racer » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:40 pm

I didn't have time to brine my own this time so I went with the orange shrimp and it worked fine. I did use some miracle thread to keep it on the hook as the bait loop wasn't working to well.

I agree with Bodo that sat. was strange. My first hookup came at 8:00 and didn't get another untill about 10:00, Then we got three within and hour. People were also fishing the north side across from noisy and swift and seemed to be doing ok.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:03 am

I just sprinkle Pautzkes Fire Cure on uncooked shrimp from the grocery store. Put it on there, throw it in a Tupperware in the fridge overnight, and you're good to go!
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:08 am

Matt wrote:I just sprinkle Pautzkes Fire Cure on uncooked shrimp from the grocery store. Put it on there, throw it in a Tupperware in the fridge overnight, and you're good to go!
this works for steelhead too, I do the same to pink up some shrimp. I get the 4.99 bag of tiger prawns at safeway when they're on sale, one bag lasted me since winter steelhead fishing. They also work great for trout, and fish in the sound if you need crab bait.

Looks like we're all set for the lake this weekend! WE just got a new trandsducer for the fish finder, and we've got some ideas for rigging the kayak with a down rigger, and my dad is starting to get excited too!

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:11 am

I just went back and read this thread from the beginning for the first time. What the heck am I sitting here typing on this computer for? I should be at Baker! Matt, awesome photos! I see why Mike was psyched about this fishery, while talking at the picnic. Man! I gotta get me some! Outdoor Emporium, here I come.. LOL

If no work comes in Mon, I'll be launching Tues.

I did pick up crab today N of Tullalip Bay, a good day on the the water.

**updated Monday: A little work came in so no launch on Tues.
Last edited by MarkFromSea on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:46 am

Nate, the shrimp I used were actually intended for steelhead hah. They were in he freezer and I just pulled them out the night before we went to baker. They freeze very well if you vacuum pack them, or put them in an air tight container. Nate, if you are going up this weekend it is likely I am going to be there as well, I will keep my eyes peeled for you. I'm trying to figure out my work schedule now, but if I have the weekend off I will be going up Friday afternoon and staying Saturday and Sunday.

akochman09
Petty Officer

Post by akochman09 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:04 pm

Yeah I feel you guys on saturday. got out there at like 415 and didnt catch a fish for the first 2 or 3 hours! finally got one and landed him. got 2 more bites in the next hour or so and landed one so we went 2/3. way different than tuesday when i was there with ff. that day we had 13 takedowns on the same gear! could be the way my boat was running as opposed to his, but it was strange.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:55 pm

limits by 8am for us today, sweet! report posted.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:31 am

Matt wrote:Nate, the shrimp I used were actually intended for steelhead hah. They were in he freezer and I just pulled them out the night before we went to baker. They freeze very well if you vacuum pack them, or put them in an air tight container. Nate, if you are going up this weekend it is likely I am going to be there as well, I will keep my eyes peeled for you. I'm trying to figure out my work schedule now, but if I have the weekend off I will be going up Friday afternoon and staying Saturday and Sunday.

We're going to be heading up Friday or Saturday afternoon, depending on when my pops can get off work. If you see us out there, you won't be able to miss us, our boat is one of a kind, and will look a little ridiculous. It's going to be an adventure, it'll be my first time camping at baker. I'm not sure how long we're going to stay, but it may be til monday or tuesday, depending on when we head up. There are some hike in lakes that I've been wanting to fish up in the mountains above Baker, so we may do that in the afternoon depending on how well we dial in the fish.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:36 am

PMing you Nate.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:26 pm

Anyone have the scoop on the barbs for Baker Lake sockeye? I searched the regs, I haven't seen any mention of barbless being required for this fishery. Thanks!

Added later: Thanks Matt! You Da Man!
I had a bit of time on my hands today so whipped these up from stuff lying around. I'll also have a couple bare bone hook rigs. The twinkle skirts turn pink in direct sunlight from the beads underneath. LOL I'm just having fun trying to figure which one will be the fishiest. Outdoor Emporium didn't have the big river bait hooks in red a few days ago so I just used the ones I had, 5/0. I went with heavier leader, 50lbs, to theoretically impart more of the dodger movement to the hooks. Hope these fish aren't leader shy. :-k
Attachments
Baker_sockeye_leaders.jpg
Baker_sockeye_leaders.jpg (59.83 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
Last edited by MarkFromSea on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:16 pm

There are no special regulations in place that do not apply already to the Lake fishery. Barbs are OK, I believe trebles are even OK. Bait is fine, 2 rod endorsement is fine. No hold fishing fun!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:50 pm

OK, sorry for the double post, but RHIP. :dj: Enjoy!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:33 am

Sweeeeet, thanks Mike!

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:41 am

Mike Carey wrote:From the other Baker lake sockeye thread - Here is the WDFW link which includes current count/transfer numbers:

Baker Lake Sockeye Counts and Transfers

Current number trapped - 13,379

Transfered to Baker Lake - 8,701

Last year's run total - 14,239

This year pre season forecast - 23,950

So we have a ways to go!

They just dumped 4000 more fish in:
Baker Trap Sockeye Salmon
transferred to Baker Lake
as of August 2, 2011
Total to Date: 15,915

"I'm too excited to sleep!"
Last edited by MarkFromSea on Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomD
Petty Officer

Post by TomD » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:58 pm

Awesome Video Mike! I might have seen you up there but didn't make the connection! Sorry!

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:14 pm

dude theres like 15000 in the lake and 25000 back to the hatchery now. its INSANE
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:33 pm

fishenfreak wrote:dude theres like 15000 in the lake and 25000 back to the hatchery now. its INSANE

Lol, I like how you rounded 24,201 up to 25,000 and 15,915 down to 15,000. That's some quality math right there.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:17 am

It's the high,low fish postulate. Didn't you learn that in fisheries math???

:-$ :^o #-o :-" :-$ :^o #-o :-" :-$ :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:22 am

Yea everybody knows this is just how it works. LOL i said "theres LIKE" not "there IS." Too lazy/excited to pay attention. In conclusion... theres A LOT. haha ill be there friday morning alone. Which as of right now, i will be leaving in 2 hours... i should prooobably go to bed soon... Shouldnt take long to get 2 and do some Catch and Release until the sun comes up which on a sunny day (which it will be) shuts it off pretty bad usually.
Last edited by RiverChromeGS on Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:25 am

Leaving in the morning. Can't sleep, so I broke down and lubed up my reels. Now I'm looking at pictures waiting for the lids to drop.