Neah bay...Report

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Jaksonbrown
Warrant Officer

Neah bay...Report

Post by Jaksonbrown » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:07 pm

What a weekend! First off, we get out to neah bay and put the boat in... We fire her up and my RPM guage isnt working for some reason. I had just gotten it out of the shop that rebuilt the engine 10 hours ago. I took it in to get it serviced per their instructions at the 10 hour mark, so I figured that they must have accidentally unhooked it by mistake. No biggie. All the other guages look good, so we head out. We make it just out past Tatoosh and the engine starts to knock and fail. I shut it down and open the hatch. White smoke smelling like burned rubber pours out. We had burned a belt off of the alternator. CRAP! So we putt back in on the kicker. Several hours later, we get it fixed and go to fire her up again. It is still knocking like crazy.... I pull the oil dipstick to check for water or coolant and guess what?? There is no oil in the engine!!!! #-o #-o They drained the oil and changed the filter, but didnt fill it back up! I look at the oil guage, which read 60psi the whole time and it is still reading 60psi with the key off! It all worked like a dream before taking it in to get serviced...I mean really, do you check your oil level after the guy from minute lube pulls your car out of the bay before driving off in it? Discouraged and very pissed off I head back to camp and get my drink on. The next day, very hung over... I decide to just drop the kicker down and putt out to Waddah Island and try fishing there. Lucky enough for us, the pinks are in good as well as the coho and Kings. We limit out easily both Sat and Sunday. BTW... the pinks are HUGE this year. Most of ours were in the 8+ lb range with one going over 10lbs. Funny side note... We were catching Native Kings quite regularly, and releasing them... turns out that you can keep them inside of Tatoosh island after June 25th...#-o #-o
Attachments
Web_salmon.jpg
Web_salmon.jpg (131.52 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
10lb_pink_web.jpg
10lb_pink_web.jpg (119.43 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
Last edited by Jaksonbrown on Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolverine
Captain

RE:Neah bay...Report

Post by wolverine » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:17 pm

Sounds like you need to have a "come to Jesus meeting" with your mechanic.
I always watch the guys at the quick oil change shops to make sure they actually do put a new filter on,and pump oil in and check it before I pay. Before I leave I look under the truck to make sure they put the drain plug in and also check it when I get home. I had an issue once with a quick lube joint where they didn't tighten the drain plug. I left a trail of oil from the front of the shop darn near to where I worked. Quite a surprise to walk behind the truck and see a trail of oil. I borrowed a couple of cans of oil from a co-worker and immediately returned to the shop. After I did my best Yosemite Sam and Taz impersonations they fixed the plug, gave me vouchers for 6 free oil changes, and a signed and printed letter stating that if I had any issues with the engine in the next 100,000 miles that they'd pay for the repairs.
Life's short - fish hard!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:05 pm

That is just horrible.. I am a little nervous.... I see that you live in Snohomish. I just started up a mechanical relationship with a new boat shop in Lynnwood. I sure hope it is not the same place.:-"
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:10 pm

Nice Job Cory!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about the boat. Perhaps the shop needs a little advertisment. [wink]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Jaksonbrown
Warrant Officer

Post by Jaksonbrown » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:26 pm

Bodofish wrote:Nice Job Cory!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about the boat. Perhaps the shop needs a little advertisment. [wink]
Im taking the boat back to them today. I told them the story and they swear that they put oil in it and it must have "pumped it out" somehow. Course there is no oil in the engine compartment so im not sure where it could have gone. If they take care of me and fix it ill just consider it an honest mistake. So far they have been pretty good to me. But if not, Ill definitly have something to say about it.