Summer Run MetalHeads

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dhitt
Angler

RE:Summer Run MetalHeads

Post by dhitt » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:53 pm

Nice Fish! After four years of teaching myself, with very liitle help, I caught this beauty near reiter the same weekend. Man did it feel good!
Attachments
steelie.jpg
steelie.jpg (134.51 KiB) Viewed 1651 times

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:30 pm

Preacher wrote:Nice Fish! After four years of teaching myself, with very liitle help, I caught this beauty near reiter the same weekend. Man did it feel good!
well done, preacher! Now this forum is starting to look like a summer steel forum should! which method did you employ that finally worked for ya?

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Preacher wrote:Nice Fish! After four years of teaching myself, with very liitle help, I caught this beauty near reiter the same weekend. Man did it feel good!
I like the fact your pants are wet up to your knees, finally got one, not gonna let a little cold water keep me from it! Did you jump on it, frantically kick it up on the bank or both? Either way good job man!=d>
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:09 pm

jens wrote:I went 2/2 Saturday the 16th. I released a small 5 pound chrome little egg wagon, bonked this 30inch chromer.
Cool pic Jens, looks black & white, but then again not really. Is that some kind of setting on your camera?
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

dhitt
Angler

Post by dhitt » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:28 am

I finally tied on a silver and gold Lucky Nite and yes I did have to kick her right up onto the sand! I had this one half way cleaned when she flipped on me and started heading back for deep water, believe it or not. Good thing I left the lure in, otherwise it would have just been "another fish story"!

Quote-
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Last edited by dhitt on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

EAmon___hoffman123
Warrant Officer

Post by EAmon___hoffman123 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:10 am

im going to the wynoochee and hopefully i will get a couple of nice steelhead!:bball: :bounce:
Fishing is cool. FOOLS

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:17 am

anyone gonna be at reiter tomorrow
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:42 pm

Welcome back JT. (Curado) I was thinkin you mightve ran off with a gal and went out to get married. Good to see you posting.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:29 pm

Way to go Preacher!
"One more......."

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:45 pm

racfish wrote:Welcome back JT. (Curado) I was thinkin you mightve ran off with a gal and went out to get married. Good to see you posting.
ahaha that would be so funny! :-"
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:06 pm

Double Trouble again! Big one was 9.5lbs at 32" long, long and skinny, she kicked my butt!
Attachments
Skykomish-20110721-Double.jpg
Skykomish-20110721-Double.jpg (56.3 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
Last edited by kzoo on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:34 pm

Hahahaha! I thought I recognized you! Way to go Kzoo! I'm pretty sure I saw you playing that one this morning. I had a fish break my hook today. BROKE MY HOOK. I keep thinking that there will be some brand of cheap hook that will actually catch fish, but I may just have to bite the bullet and stop trying and get the nice ones.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:35 pm

curado wrote:anyone gonna be at reiter tomorrow

Great to see you out on the water! It must be a girl. That's the only thing that can keep a man from water for very long at all.

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:29 am

Even the visions?? I've never broken a vision, I've had a few straightened but that's it... One thing I've learned is the owners are WAY sharper than the cheap hooks

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:31 am

Brian253 wrote:Even the visions?? I've never broken a vision, I've had a few straightened but that's it... One thing I've learned is the owners are WAY sharper than the cheap hooks
Yea, I've never broke a vision except for on a rock, but they're not sharp and don't hold an edge for very long at all. I've taken to setting the hook twice when using cheap hooks, because I've had about 10 fish in the past month shake the hook after a couple runs. They just aren't sharp at all.

Owner cutting point hooks always make me wince when I buy them, but ever hook up I've had with 'em sticks, and then it's down to my leader quality as to whether I land the fish.

But brads hooks BREAK! they are brittle, and for 4 bucks a 50 pk you get what you pay for. I'm throwing 'em in my carp bag for now.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:03 am

yuck on vision hooks. tried them and hate them owner and gamakatsu only
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:05 am

ive been fishing lol not as much got a king the other day on the wallace and boy o boy the wallace mouth is a weird place now you actually have a good steelhead zone now

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:14 am

natetreat wrote:Hahahaha! I thought I recognized you! Way to go Kzoo! I'm pretty sure I saw you playing that one this morning. I had a fish break my hook today. BROKE MY HOOK. I keep thinking that there will be some brand of cheap hook that will actually catch fish, but I may just have to bite the bullet and stop trying and get the nice ones.
I thought that was you too. I saw you lose that steelhead when I was downstream. Tough fishing today, they weren't giving them away today. I was lucky to tag 2 of them. The big one took me down to the rapids, best fight ever.

I'll stop by and say hi next time, you were gone when I went back up stream.
Last edited by kzoo on Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:16 am

I know! It's annoying, because fish don't hold at the top of it like last year. They're all the way at the bottom. That was a nice little jack. Not so much a king hole anymore. I'm over it though, there will be kings for days in banky rivers soon enough.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:03 pm

Way to go Kzoo! Summers are definitely on the thin side, but good lord they can fight. I love how aerobatic these fish are, but man every time they leap I hold my breath.

My heart hurts with all the fish I have been losing lately. Gear failure is driving me crazy.

What jig heads are you guys using?
"One more......."