Spokane County - Best trout lake in Summer

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
pickelz
Angler

Spokane County - Best trout lake in Summer

Post by pickelz » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:01 pm

Hey all,

I'm going to be coming into Spokane with my Jon Boat to visit some friends this weekend. I'm just wondering which of the lakes in the Spokane area (within 25 miles or so) are worth the time for Rainbows/Browns this time of year...? I'm just getting into fly fishing so any lakes that are prime fly fishing lakes would be at the top of my list. Thanks!

.. and which is the better lake for T musky.. Newman or Silver? I'm hoping to get to one of these and spend a couple hours fishing for one of the monsters I've been seeing in the reports on these lakes this summer.

hewesfisher
Admiral

RE:Spokane County - Best trout lake in Summer

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Tough call for trout. Is you boat equipped with a gas motor or not? I hear Badger is fishing well for cutthroat, and Williams is still fishing well according to the paper. Also read in Friday's paper that West Medical Lake was being kind to anglers and Sprague was producing for anyone trolling the middle of the lake. Don't know about eating quality of trout in any of these lakes, but I would imagine Badger and Williams would have the best quality there.

Tigers can be had at either Newman or Silver, the better of the two depends more on where you are staying as the lakes are far west and far east of Spokane proper. Non-fishing boat traffic can be heavy this time of year on both of them, and that can be downright annoying if you're planning a day fishing at either, IMO anyway.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

pickelz
Angler

Post by pickelz » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:15 pm

Thanks for the beta hewesfisher. I don't have a gas powered motor for this little boat, just a little electric trolling motor. I typically use it for fishing oxbows for bass and such that are hard to get into. Sprague would likely be out of the question but West Medical, Williams or Badger sound like good prospects. Any chance you could recommend a pattern for catching bows on a fly road on those lakes?

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:32 am

Badger, straight out from the boat lunch, near the far cliffs. Bait fish on the bottom for Cutts.

Sprague, near the inlet, bait fish near the underwater springs.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:56 am

pickelz wrote:Any chance you could recommend a pattern for catching bows on a fly road on those lakes?
Nope, not a fly fisherman, but maybe Marc Martyn can help you with that. [thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:33 am

Amber and Medical Lake. Both are Selective Gear Lakes. Amber allows electric motors but Medical does not allow a motor of any kind.

With the heat finally coming on, the fish should be laying at about 20-25 feet, just above the thermocline.

Wine, black and olive leeches work well in both lakes. A red beadhead olive Carey will be good on Medical. Olive Damsels will also produce fish.

On Medical, fish the east shore south of the aerator in front of the houses in 30' of water. In the afternoon as the shadows fall across the water, fish the west side along the path. I've picked up many nice Browns in that area.

On Amber, work the other end of the lake down by the farm implements and on the north side. The shoreline across from the launch is good also.

Good luck. Post a report. I may be out there later this week.

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReportList.aspx?id=1&t=1

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReportLi ... ?id=14&t=1
Last edited by Marc Martyn on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

pickelz
Angler

Post by pickelz » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:25 pm

Thanks a lot guys! I can't wait to get down there and get my lines wet!