Pistol Pete flies

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
raffensg64
Commander

Pistol Pete flies

Post by raffensg64 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:54 pm

Anybody else use these? I had bought a bunch several years ago after watching my partner hammer trout on Crab Creek in 2003. We had both gone fishless for 2 hours in our usual, productive stretch of water. We had about given up when Joel reached into his box and pulled out this black bugger pattern with a propeller blade. Honestly, I laughed at him and thought he had lost his mind! One cast and one fish later, I'm interested and no longer laughing. Another cast and a second fish and I'm very interested and envious. A third cast and and a third fish and I'm nearly begging him for one! He had an extra and we proceeded to catch 20 or so fish out of that hole. I was stunned to say the least.

Since then, I've mostly forgotten about them as I primarily fished chironomid patterns. I do recall a couple trips to Coffeepot where these things saved me from a skunking!

Then yesterday, I'm on my local char lake up here and the fish have lockjaw. I got only one hit in 2 hours.......this from a lake that was giving me 30 fish days just three weeks ago! The damsels and dragonfly nymphs from a couple weeks ago were gone, ditto for chironomids. The surface of the water was spotless. After about my 7-8th fly change, I noticed a propeller blade sticking up from under a pile of buggers and damsels. There it was, a Pistol Pete, an olive bugger pattern. I hadn't used one in 4-5 years but figured I had nothing to lose. In no time I was experiencing the same phenomenon as Crab Creek several years earlier! While not quite as fast and furious, these sluggish and inactive fish were jolted into life by this fly. I ended up with 6 in the next hour with a couple others lost as a Pistol Pete came through again. That additional propeller blade must cause anger or reaction strikes.

Just something to think about if you don't mind chucking a hybrid fly, ie a little hardware, when things get ultra slow. Developed by a 12-year old boy in Colorado who swore they worked even when the fish were inactive, they've gone on to fame as doing exactly that, and that boy is now President of his own company, I believe it's High Country flies.

deepbuzzer
Petty Officer

RE:Pistol Pete flies

Post by deepbuzzer » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Gary if you fish those you might as well just throw a spinning outfit with a roster tail. They are nothing more then a roster tail not a true fly. IMHO..
Last edited by deepbuzzer on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:10 am

db, as I mentioned, it's a hybrid fly.....and I beg to differ on the rooster tail spinner thing. They are worlds apart for sure. Did you get a Silver Lake tiger muskie yet?

deepbuzzer
Petty Officer

Post by deepbuzzer » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:07 pm

Gary,
On my trip to Lake Curlew last week I caught 2 tigers, one 43" and the other one 37". When I have time I am going to do a report and add the pictures.
Have you tried to fish for the pike up there yet?

Just giving you a hard time about the prop bugger.

Take care,

Kevin

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:06 pm

I remember trolling a fly like that in the early '60's up at Marshall Lake. It seemed to work well. Might have to find the propellers and give it a try. May work on Amber, who knows?

Just found these online.....

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/propeller-spinner-blades/
Last edited by Marc Martyn on Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle Wes
Warrant Officer

Post by Uncle Wes » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Mack's Lure new Smile Blade Fly. Just completed a 3 piece column on field testing them. Took different folks and pro-staffers out and they were very impressed by how hard the trout nail them. Just saying.
The Troutist
Uncle Wes Malmberg
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Uncle-Wes/354228301302839" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Columnist, Northwest Sportsman Magazine
Columnist, Mason County Outdoors
Member, Northwest Outdoor Writers Association

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:02 pm

Nice article, UW, I read it. While "hardware" flies are not what I normally use, I eagerly await their arrival in the Fairbanks, AK area (if they ever make it here) or online. When all else fails, I have no aversion to using whatever works....as the Pistol Petes have done in the past few days.

Maybe I'll have to sweet talk you and Marc into sending me some up here!

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:10 pm

Gary, do you tie? If you do, I might be able to find the propellers in Spokane and drop them in the mail.

I know what the shipping to Alaska is. My daughter used to live up there. There are so many restrictions from retailers in the lower 48, getting things up there can be a hassle. My daughter couldn't order Wild Rice directly from Christmas Point Wild Rice Company in MN. I would have to order it and then forward it up to her in Anchorage.

Either way, we can get something up to you.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:55 pm

Never did try that kind of stuff back when I was a more avid flyfisher. Definitely piqued my curiosity though reading this. I can definitely remember fishing over fish that would refuse my offerings and wonder if maybe this thing coulda managed to get them moving.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:06 pm

Marc, unfortunately I don't tie yet! The way I figure, as much as I fish, tying might consume what time's left for mama. I've already got one ex-wife.....I don't want another!

I have considered it though, and this winter may be the time I start. 20 hours of darkness is gonna test my limits so I'll need a hobby. I certainly won't need any chironomid patterns, but I've learned from experience here that damsel nymphs, dragonfly nymphs, bh soft hackles and now this Pistol Pete are a necessity.

There are some fly shops and a Sportsman's Warehouse in the area that have plenty of equipment and materials to get started. Marc, when I do, I'll be getting with you for your expertise.

Haha! I just figured it out! I will start this winter and will set up under my "happy light". 1-2 hours of therapy sounds about right! Happy lights are a "full spectrum" light that simulates natural sunlight and helps prevent/treat the winter blues. This past April I was physically ill on a few occasions, literally, from this and what I perceived as "cabin fever". Yep, I'll put my light at my new fly tying table!
Last edited by raffensg64 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:19 pm

Tying is a good way to pass the long winter days. I always takes my mind off of the cold dark days of winter. It mentally transports me to sitting in my boat "trying my new patterns".

Check the fly shops up there. They should have a good selection of materials and supplies. If they don't have something you need, give us a shout down here and we can get it to you.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:57 am

Believe it or not, I actually found them at Cabela's on-line store. 2 bucks apiece in lots of 6 in size 10 or 6.

http://www.cabelas.com/fly-assortments- ... nt-1.shtml

I may have to give them a try myself.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Stirfryfly
Angler

Post by Stirfryfly » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:53 pm

I have seen them at Outdoor Emporium in Seattle on the flyfishing counter display. Odd looking things. Never thought they would work. Different colors. Dont think they are available online.

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:02 am

I just had them save the day again. Was on Birch Lake this time. Unfortunately I couldn't fish in the afternoon as a storm was coming through and the lake was white-capped. I did get two hours in the evening, though. Once again, there was no hatch of any time. I tried my usual nymph and streamer patterns, which I ran deep and worked to the surface. I even tried ripping them up quickly as I would do with a Pete. Nothing, although I was marking fish on my fish finder. After one hour I switched to a black bugger Pete. In the next hour I got 2 nice arctic char and 2 chunky grayling, and lost another fish which hammered the Pete as it was sinking!

That's twice now that a Pistol Pete fly has gotten the skunk off my back! For the remainder of my time in AK, I won't leave home without em.

panfisher
Captain

Re: Pistol Pete flies

Post by panfisher » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:44 pm

I have used these on and off for the last 20 yrs. caught lrg mouth to 5lbs around mardon's docks, crappie will take them and i'll even catch bluegill that shun a pole dancing worm. whats nice about this pattern is that you can crimp down the barb and fish those barbless lure only place's. for about a year I have been trying to get/find the smallest prop blades so I can make tinier version's. so far the smallest prop's have been 3/8".

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”