How long did it take to get the hang of baitcasting?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Anglinarcher
Admiral

RE:How long did it take to get the hang of baitcasting?

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:53 pm

returnofthefish wrote:When you guys are done casting, is the spool in the vertical position or the horizontal position? An example is on a right hand retrieve baitcaster, the handle would be on top. Does it even mstter to you guys?
Once you master it, it might be upside down.:)

It really does not matter at all.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

MartyMoose
Angler

Post by MartyMoose » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:42 pm

I actually prefer my baitcasters to my spinning reel. I have a much harder time casting accurately with my spinning reel than i do with the bait caster. But, that being said it took awhile to get used to it, I did become an expert at fixing bird nests. javascript:insertsmiley('[cool]%20','/forum/Images/Emoticons/msp_cool.gif')
Last edited by MartyMoose on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:44 pm

MartyMoose wrote:I actually prefer my baitcasters to my spinning reel. I have a much harder time casting accurately with my spinning reel than i do with the bait caster. But, that being said it took awhile to get used to it, but i did become an expert at fixing bird nests. ;-)
I'm just the opposite, MUCH more accurite with spinning, fewer bird's nests too. hahaha
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:46 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:
returnofthefish wrote:When you guys are done casting, is the spool in the vertical position or the horizontal position? An example is on a right hand retrieve baitcaster, the handle would be on top. Does it even mstter to you guys?
Once you master it, it might be upside down.:)

It really does not matter at all.
When I use my level wind/casting reels, the handle is ALWAYS down, flippin OR/AND crankbaits, etc.,. Oh ya, I use lefthand reels/the handle is on the left, and I use my left hand to wind the handle. Don't need to change hands that way either. [biggrin]
Tom.

Interests: living