Summer Run MetalHeads

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Matt
Admiral

RE:Summer Run MetalHeads

Post by Matt » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:28 am

Yah the flows are high but clarity is surprisingly good. I was up at the wallace yesterday for work and they had around 50 fresh looking springers in their holding with a few steelhead mixed in. The steelies looked like late winters/spring fish judging by their color, and there were a few summer run chromers in there too..... good thing they keep closing the river early every year when there seem to be an abundance of spring fish around.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:53 am

jens wrote:This is kind of a gamble Gringo, but when you have a fish run away like that, open your bail. Hopefully the fish will think it's not hooked and begin to relax.. I've done this before with a pig Silver, but after watching all my line spool off, I decided to tightent the drag and pray..the fish won.
My buddy says the same thing. Just open bail, no pressure on the line and alot of times the fish just stops. Sometimes will even swim back upstream towards you.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:54 am

What is that thing??

Chromage:

And of course....... just for fun.....

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:53 am

Damn, i think i need sunglasses that fish is so bright ! [cool]
Nice fish.!
I dont know what that thing on it is though. [confused]
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:50 am

[img=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... a_lice.jpg]sea lice[/img]

It's a female sea louse. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_louse

It means that the fish was chrome fresh. I don't know what species it is, there are 36 different ones, but it's an adult.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:43 am

Sea lice don't survive much longer than 48 hours in fresh water so the fish must have been a freshie. :bball:

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:46 am

We also caught a log, but I heard they don't eat very well......

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:18 am

Nice job on the fish!!! Ouch on the prop! It was my turn on the Cow last time. Easy C note! See ya out there. We'll be in the little green boat with the rain gear on!!!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:01 pm

Nice job Matt! I pounded the banks for 6 hours and only had one hit, but at least I C&R'ed my PB Dolley (about 8#)!
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:03 pm

im pretty jealous matt, :-" :-"
nice fish :-#
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:06 am

Nice runnin into you guys up there bodo. Wouldn't have recognized you without your boat good thing you waved me down!

Howd you guys end up, we got blanked. Others were doing well.

Boy was it W E T !

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:34 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:Nice job Matt! I pounded the banks for 6 hours and only had one hit, but at least I C&R'ed my PB Dolley (about 8#)!
A report next to yours said he had 5 on and saw 15 on the bank. I wonder who's telling the truth?, a guy we've never heard of or Gringo:-"
Last edited by kzoo on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:12 am

Went down to see some family today, they live about 30 minutes from the blue creek launch.
They told me i only had an hour. #-o
All i had with me was my uncles rod and my gear, his rod and reel were set up for kings, with 20pound mainline, 17 leader.
After about 30minutes of nothing, BOBBER DOWN, hooked into a fish, fought it for about 2 minutes, never saw it, but it snapped my 20 pound mainline, nothin else after that.
Tight Lines !
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:35 pm

Fish_Bait111397 wrote:Went down to see some family today, they live about 30 minutes from the blue creek launch.
All i had with me was my uncles rod and my gear, his rod and reel were set up for kings, with 20pound mainline, 17 leader.
After about 30minutes of nothing, BOBBER DOWN, hooked into a fish, fought it for about 2 minutes, never saw it, but it snapped my 20 pound mainline, nothin else after that.
Tight Lines !
FB - between breaking swivels and snapping 20# line - I think there may be something you're not doing right...
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:52 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:
Fish_Bait111397 wrote:Went down to see some family today, they live about 30 minutes from the blue creek launch.
Tight Lines !
FB - between breaking swivels and snapping 20# line - I think there may be something you're not doing right...
Yer probably right GP. #-o

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:59 pm

Hows your drag set on those rigs? Don't be afraid of the drag, drag is your friend [thumbup]
I set mine to about 1/2 of my weakest link - in other words if my leader is the lightest part of the whole setup (say 10#), then I set my drag at about 5#. It is not an exact science of course, but one way you can do this is to take your fish scale, attach it to the end of the line and slowly pull, watch the scale go up until the drag gives and lets line out, whatever weight the scale registered, that is what your drag is set at (again - approximately).
Make sure you are pulling straight out from the reel and not flexing your pole when you do this.
I am sure there are other ways and opinions on drag settings, but this is what works for me.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:41 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:Hows your drag set on those rigs? Don't be afraid of the drag, drag is your friend [thumbup]
I set mine to about 1/2 of my weakest link - in other words if my leader is the lightest part of the whole setup (say 10#), then I set my drag at about 5#. It is not an exact science of course, but one way you can do this is to take your fish scale, attach it to the end of the line and slowly pull, watch the scale go up until the drag gives and lets line out, whatever weight the scale registered, that is what your drag is set at (again - approximately).
Make sure you are pulling straight out from the reel and not flexing your pole when you do this.
I am sure there are other ways and opinions on drag settings, but this is what works for me.
Thanks Gringo !
I appreciate it, I'll try this next time I'm out !

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:56 pm

Picked up this little dandy this morning.. I've been experimenting with a different scent and color. Can't complain about the result. Bobberdown!
Attachments
June_23rd_2011_Notellum_River.jpg
June_23rd_2011_Notellum_River.jpg (36.27 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
"One more......."

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:25 pm

jens wrote:Picked up this little dandy this morning.. I've been experimenting with a different scent and color. Can't complain about the result. Bobberdown!
Argg.. It's like being stuck in the house with chicken pox on a hot summer day when all the other kids are playing in the sprinkler just outside the window#-o

Nice job - again - Jens!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:45 am

And today - I got mine... 2 for three - good way to start the weekend:bball:
Attachments
IMG_1942sm.jpg
IMG_1942sm.jpg (46.13 KiB) Viewed 1447 times