Where should I go fish tomorrow (06/25/11)?

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ruthven78
Commander

Where should I go fish tomorrow (06/25/11)?

Post by ruthven78 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:22 pm

Where to fly fish in Spokane, Pend Oreille, or Stevens County tomorrow? I live in Deer Park and dont want to have to travel too terribly far so sticking to these three counties.

Im gonna take the pontoon out for the first time in 3 years after I confirmed both pontoons are holding air good and found all my other gear (waders, fins, etc). I was gonna go drown a worm this afternoon but just too frazzled after a hectic work week...instead I will gather up all my fishing gear and get it ready to go for tomorrow.

The high for tomorrow is supposed to be in the low 70's, partly cloudy, and Hoopfest is going on over here this weekend so Im hoping there will be less traffic on the lakes because of it.

Will be leaving around 5am probably. I mostly using wet flies as I havent learned the art of dry flies. Was thinking of hitting 1-3 lakes that I havent been to yet....which is still a big list. Looking at smaller lakes like around 60 or less acres.

Open for anyone wanting to go with but only room for me on my toon :brilsmurf
Last edited by ruthven78 on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner, Bakercraft Lures - http://www.bakercraftlures.com/

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Where should I go fish tomorrow (06/25/11)?

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:57 pm

If you don't want to drive too far, I would hit Fan Lake. Be sure to take the bug spray with you. You could also try Horseshoe just north of Fan. As a third alternative, you could give Jump Off Joe a shot. There are some big browns in there that you might be able to hook. The water temperatures are still down some, so JOJ may prove to be a good trip.

Post a report(s) when you get back.....good luck.:thumright

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:09 pm

JOJ doesnt sound too bad, I fished Horseshoe pretty regularly a few years ago, fan is ok too but been there a few times as well. I was thinking some of the lakes that havent had reports in awhile like Mudget, Frater, Cooks. I just want to get out on the water and fishing again since it has been so long. Might take the oldest to JOJ Sunday after chores are done. The youngest is only two, still in diapers, and throws a temper tantrum when I try to put a lifevest on him.

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:28 am

too many choices.....here are some pairs I might try.

Petit & Muskegeon
Little Twins & Black Lake
Philips & Jump Off Joe
Carl's and Frater
Cooks & Mystic
Halfmoon & Browns
Power Lake & Davis Lake
Mudget and ? - maybe horseshoe in spokane county....

Think I will actually do Power Lake and if nothing there try Halfmoon, Cooks, Mystic, or No Name.

I have a GPS and an old forest service map....hope I dont get lost ;) and by old we are talking like 1993 :)
Last edited by ruthven78 on Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:24 am

I went to Power Lake, and was too lazy to have to load and unload the pontoon again so just stayed there and fished for 6 hours.

Hooked 5 and got 4 to the boat...3 rainbows (8", 8", 11") and one 6" Brookie. The other got off before I could see what it was.

None were really big fighters and all caught in the shallows on the north end of the lake. Otherwise it was mostly dead all morning till around 11-12. someone was fishing from shore with their kids and caught a few using bobbers but I dont know what kind of bait. Wasnt too far down from the launch at a point.

I saw one campsight near there water with two poles in the water and no body around for a good 6-7 minutes. I hate when people leave their poles unattended. All the campsites were full when I got there.

went and submitted my report :)

I didnt think I could get my toon on top of my rig by myself so I went up with the pontoons detached and tied on top with the frame in the back with one side off....didnt want to hassle with breaking it down after rowing for 6 hours so I attempted putting it on top and was actually pretty easy.
Attachments
2011-06-25_16.26.19.jpg
2011-06-25_16.26.19.jpg (156.54 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
Last edited by ruthven78 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:49 am

Mike and I are heading up to Browns Lake on Monday. Hopefully with all the snow and rain this last year the water level will be way up. Should be a good day, mid 70's, no wind and clear.

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:52 am

I had quite the blister on my right hand today from all the rowing I've done the last couple days...yesterday on power lake and today at williams...blister didnt form till today and popped as we were rowing in to bring the boat back and go home lol....my son outfished me....though technically he was using one of my lurers ;)

deepbuzzer
Petty Officer

Post by deepbuzzer » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:55 pm

If you are getting blisters on your hand from rowing you are holding onto the oars to tightly. You just need to feather them and not man handle them.. I row a 14' valco around all day on Medical and larger lakes for miles on end and not once have I had a blister. Learn to lightly hold the oars, like you would if your were holding the yoke on an airplane. Gentle

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:22 pm

deepbuzzer wrote:If you are getting blisters on your hand from rowing you are holding onto the oars to tightly. You just need to feather them and not man handle them.. I row a 14' valco around all day on Medical and larger lakes for miles on end and not once have I had a blister. Learn to lightly hold the oars, like you would if your were holding the yoke on an airplane. Gentle
I have soft girly hands....no callus whatsoever. I only get blisters the first couple times until the callus develops :)

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”