Kokanee Newbie

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jtrain9
Angler

Kokanee Newbie

Post by jtrain9 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:37 pm

So Me and 2 friends went fishing for Kokanee the other day on their small boat. They have an electric trolling motor. I caught 4, lost 2. They lost all of theirs, probably about 3. I was just trolling with a dodger, wedding ring and a worm. Ive heard corn and maggots work good too. However, we dont have a down rigger and were having to do like 60-70 pulls to reach them. Is there a better way to do this with no down rigger? I was thinking like adding a weight a few feet in front of the dodger or something? Any tips appreciated..

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:Kokanee Newbie

Post by Toni » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:23 pm

What I did is put a 1/2 oz egg weight above the swivel on my line that attached to the dodger.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:13 pm

Try using snap weights. You can get a kit like this one: Off Shore Tackle Link or just buy the clips from them and use your own weights. With this system you can let out a good length of line, add your desired weight and let out a little more line to get to where the fish are. When you hook a fish you remove the weight when it reaches the boat and continue fighting the fish weight free. I use them quite a bit in Lake Washington for winter cutt fishing.

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:14 pm

i'm cheap....my "snap weight" system is a rubber band....same idea'r....let some line out..slip the rubberband through it self 'n around the line if ya get me....them hang the weight by put'n the other end of the band through the weight eye 'n the weight through the loop if ya get me ???...when ya reel this system in ya "snap" the rubberband lolol

another thing you can try is a keel...even a lead 1 if your go'n deeper than 20 or so....a keel with a good bead swivel behind keeps spiners (and 1/2 drown lil Kok's) from twist'n the snot out of your line too...DOG

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:42 pm

We run lead line rigs in addition to the rods on the downriggers and the lead line rods are consistent fish producers.

jtrain9
Angler

Post by jtrain9 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:28 am

Thank you all for the replies. I now have a few things to try next time we go out. I like the snap weights those seem like they would work good.

sanfrandan
Petty Officer

Post by sanfrandan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:21 pm

Have you ever tried hand lineing? If your boat has a fish finder, locate the kokanee and drop straight down to where they are at with a weight and small spinner. PUT A GLOW HOOK ABOUT 8 INCHES BELOW WITH A PIECE OF SHOE PEG CORN AND A MAGGOT BEHIND IT TO HOLD IT ON BETTER. Lift lines every 5-15 seconds to see oif one is on if not biting . This making fishing successful and in my opionion quick limits.Hope this helps.

NWrookie
Petty Officer

Post by NWrookie » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:37 am

Question to ask all of the Kokanee pros - It looks like everyone only fishes the morning bite. Is there an afternoon or late evening bite? Never fished for kokes before, but am willing to give it a try. Love the enthusiasm they seem to get.
Member Lakewood Master Bassers
http://www.LakewoodMasterBassers.com
I always catch my limit, unfortunately most of the time my limit is 0.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:47 am

I've always used lead-core line and never worried about weights. Also use a 0/0 brass and chrome dodger with a red snubber just ahead of a 3-4 foot leader and a red wedding ring with white shoe peg corn. Kokes have a really soft mouth so you need to use a snubber. Especially with the heavy gear it takes for leaded line.
Last edited by Lotech Joe on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Mr. Black
Angler

Post by Mr. Black » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:17 am

I am a Kokanee novice. Next time out I am going to try the three way swivel poor mans downrigger setup.

I have a selection of 2-5oz sinkers that will be tied to the bottom leg of the three way swivel on 4' of leader. Main line goes on one of the other legs of the three way. Tackle goes on the third leg to trail behind it all on 4 foot of leader. They say you can really control your depth this way.

I have read a lot about this on the net but have never tried it. Anyone else use this rig?