American Lake Perch

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
B-Hall
Petty Officer

American Lake Perch

Post by B-Hall » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:48 am

Hey all, I have been out a few times to try for koks at American. After limiting I have tried for perch and failed I really don't know where to start. Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

rockjiggr
Warrant Officer

RE:American Lake Perch

Post by rockjiggr » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:27 pm

The perch in American can easily be found in or near weeds in 15-35 feet. Fishing on or near the bottom is the best option. A drop shot I often use a rig with 2 hooks to cover more depth options and to vary the color and size presentation to find what they like.

Also, slow drifting a 1/16 oz to 1/2 oz crappie jig with white curly tail grub near the bottom works well too. You can vary the color on the grub too. Some folks prefer hair jigs and they work very well but I think that the vibration of the curly tail calls em in. Casting into shallow water and swimming the jig along bottom to deeper water often does well.

I tend to use plastics since I dont like messing with worms but worms do produce lots of fish. Larger baits select for larger fish. If you start catching only small perch, move deeper. The bigger ones tend not to school so tightly together but if you locate the conditions for the bigger ones, move around a bit and try to find similar conditions and pick them up here and there.

Dont be surprised if you catch a smallmouth bass here and there fishing like this. Also, you are going to catch rock bass fishing like this, it is guaranteed. And, occasionally you may hook into a big rainbow so be prepared for a fight.
The cast that catches the fish is never too short. Patrick McManus

B-Hall
Petty Officer

Post by B-Hall » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:36 pm

Is there a general location around the lake that I should start to look? Or just anywhere 15-30 feet is good?
Thanks so much for the reply!

Camron
Warrant Officer

Post by Camron » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Yeah that setup worked great for me and rockjigr yesterday at another lake we got bout 25 fish mix between smallmouth bass and perch. We caught alott more smaller ones to that didnt keep

rockjiggr
Warrant Officer

Post by rockjiggr » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:57 pm

B-Hall, pretty much anywhere is good as long as you concentrate on those depths. I usually fish the north end of the lake since I like fishing docks for the smallmouth. There are many areas with the conditions I described on that end. But, there is also plenty areas on the south end too. Take your pick. Good luck!
The cast that catches the fish is never too short. Patrick McManus