How long did it take to get the hang of baitcasting?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
clanmks
Angler

RE:How long did it take to get the hang of baitcasting?

Post by clanmks » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:31 pm

I have to agree, most of the mechanic of using a bait casting reel comes from your thumb. Best way to cast far is, cast hard as you can and put your thumb on it. As you get better, lighten the pressure of the thumb. As you cast more and more, it should go further and further. But hey, what do I know :-" I only have 1 bait casting real and 15 spinning real.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:25 pm

clanmks wrote:I have to agree, most of the mechanic of using a bait casting reel comes from your thumb. Best way to cast far is, cast hard as you can and put your thumb on it. As you get better, lighten the pressure of the thumb. As you cast more and more, it should go further and further. But hey, what do I know :-" I only have 1 bait casting real and 15 spinning real.
Respectfully disagree. Casting as hard as you can is begging for a backlash.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:43 pm

Bodofish wrote:Ah grasshooper, To truely be able to cast you must not worry about the knob but instead adjust your thumb. When your thumb is adjusted you will then be casting and casting well. Do not rely on gizmoes to help you cast. It comes from with in.....
+1 on this, don't focus on what degree to release it, it'll come natural to you once you get the hang of it. Best thing to do is practice. As for brakes, I typically just have 2 on, across from each other.

The HAWG HUNTER
Warrant Officer

Post by The HAWG HUNTER » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:26 am

I think the best thing to help you is to pull that 10 lb test off get some power pro 65 lb test and it will cast easyer with less back lash. When you do back lash it will be much easyer to get the nest out. It took me a long time to learn the bait caster hell I'm still learning and I've been doing it for a while, but after you do get the hang of it. You will find it hard to go back to any thing else. Your spool spins faster with lighter line! The slower it spins the better. Good Luck.
Trent
My Dad would say," Boy, some people just can't fish"

fishmanchris
Angler

Post by fishmanchris » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:20 am

One tip I would also give is when you have to handle birdnests. The fastest easiest way to get them out is to engage the reel and adjust the drag so that it allows you to easily pull line out from the reel but give a bit of resistance. This will save you loads of time.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:33 am

About 1 year use with a BC for me. I still cant cast over shoulder. Do fine side arming it.

Except for that 2 or 3 times where I had too much line out. Hard for me to explain the motion. But when I side arm cast, I kinda swing the rod tip/lure in a counter-clockwise motion.

Well, a couple of times, on the downward motion right before I release the spool, the lure will hit the water and skip before taking off.:-" #-o Instant backlash.

blurock
Warrant Officer

Post by blurock » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:56 am

I managed to cast with a baitcaster within a day... but wasn't fully comfortable with it for a whole season. I stuck with it, and still can't cast it overhand that well, but I used it for everything I could think of, and forced myself to stick with it. Now I'm quite comfortable with it, though do still get the occasional backlash, more so when trying to cast really light stuff. But whatever people tell you, know that even the best out there still get them every now and then lol

I learned with a Calcutta my grandfather gave me, and then got a Curado, and I'm in love with it. Paired with my Loomis, it's my favorite set up in my arsenal. Just keep practicing and before you know it you won't have to think about it anymore it will just become second nature.

One extra thing I will say, is don't worry too much about the breaks and knobs, focus on your thumb pressure. ;) Good luck!

(As far as backlashes go... it might just be a girly thing, but I find it very helpful and my dad actually does it too. I keep a small metal crochet needle in my vest. Its very helpful for picking through a birdnest and wont damage your line and can reach into some of the spots fingers can't get.)
Last edited by blurock on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fish Like A Girl

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:08 am

When you guys are done casting, is the spool in the vertical position or the horizontal position? An example is on a right hand retrieve baitcaster, the handle would be on top. Does it even mstter to you guys?
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

blurock
Warrant Officer

Post by blurock » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:54 am

As far as I'm concerned it doesn't really matter, and sorta depends on the situation, and what I'm trying to cast around. Most of the time I think my spool is up (horizontal) But I couldn't say 100% as I haven't paid that close of attention to it... Now you got me wondering... I might have to go practice cast in the backyard a bit in the morning and see what I do haha!
Fish Like A Girl

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:02 pm

wolverine wrote: I've got nearly 60 years time in on baitcasters. Starting with hand me down reels that had direct drive, no drag system or level wind. Today I have several big dollar reels that have all of the bells and whistles. I still get backlashes on occasion. Not often, but they still can happen. Practice being smooth both on the back swing and the forward cast, herky jerky is backlash time. Keep your thumb close to the spool at all times as you can usually stop a backlash from getting out of control if you thumb the spool quickly. Learn to cast without using most of the cast control pins. The more pins that are engaged the less distance you'll achieve. Way too many folks engage all the pins and then cast hard and fast trying to get distance. Also when the wind is blowing hard in your face, break out the spinning reel. You'll spend more time with gear in the water fishing and a lot less time picking out backlashes.
Wolverine must have been around almost as long as I have. I've been using baitcasters for so long I've forgotten how long it took to get the hang of it. It could have been a while though because I remember those old reels that Wolverine mentions.:)
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:03 pm

Bc is sideways for me on long overhand casts. Any other is not.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:04 pm

blurock wrote:I keep a small metal crochet needle in my vest. Its very helpful for picking through a birdnest and wont damage your line and can reach into some of the spots fingers can't get.)
I don't carry one with me (now I am wondering why not), but I have used my wife's a time or two when I had backlashes that were just too far gone to recover on the water (I ALWAYS bring a backup/2nd rig). It works great!
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

blurock
Warrant Officer

Post by blurock » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:52 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:
blurock wrote:I keep a small metal crochet needle in my vest. Its very helpful for picking through a birdnest and wont damage your line and can reach into some of the spots fingers can't get.)
I don't carry one with me (now I am wondering why not), but I have used my wife's a time or two when I had backlashes that were just too far gone to recover on the water (I ALWAYS bring a backup/2nd rig). It works great!
Yeah! I can get most of mine out without it, but it definitely comes in handy for the more difficult ones, and can help speed through the ones that aren't so bad.
Fish Like A Girl

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:02 pm

Rapala makes a lanyard with clippers and a small bc pick. I used it alot the first couple years. Dont use a pick anymore since I usually get real small backlashes when I do. Watch out for bushes when shore fishing. Thats how I got my worst backlash.
Anthony

blurock
Warrant Officer

Post by blurock » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:26 pm

tnj8222 wrote:Rapala makes a lanyard with clippers and a small bc pick. I used it alot the first couple years. Dont use a pick anymore since I usually get real small backlashes when I do. Watch out for bushes when shore fishing. Thats how I got my worst backlash.

That's when I get mine... I get lazy and don't pay attention to whats behind me... or somehow catch the bush I was sure wasn't in the way... haha

Those ones are the worst.

I also use pencil lead and every once in awhile I don't get it crimped on good enough and it'll fling off in the cast. Those aren't as bad a backlash as the when the stupid bushes grab your stuff though #-o
Fish Like A Girl

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:20 pm

tnj8222 wrote:Rapala makes a lanyard with clippers and a small bc pick. I used it alot the first couple years. Dont use a pick anymore since I usually get real small backlashes when I do. Watch out for bushes when shore fishing. Thats how I got my worst backlash.
+2#-o
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

blurock
Warrant Officer

Post by blurock » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:31 pm

returnofthefish wrote:Thanks everyone for the input. The store spooled on Berkely Big Game line on for free. The guy at OE recommended Pline Fluarocarbon line. He stated that its stiff and I would be able to feel everything under water. I cant justify spending 20 bucks for the line when the chance of bird nesting is high right now. The Berkely Big Game is cheap at Walmart on the other hand.

Im gonna tie a 1/2 oz sinker and practice for now. The rod is rated 1/4 oz to 5/8 oz for plastics.

While your learning I would highly recommend keeping the Big Game on it. It'll really catch you just as many fish, and you wont feel near as bad when you have to cut half of it out trying to clean up a birds nest.
I love my Pline and have CX on my curado right now, but while your learning to cast, the only difference your going to notice is that your wallet doesn't hurt so much when that backlash somehow managed to tie a knot in the middle of your spool.. ;)
Fish Like A Girl

Sounguru
Petty Officer

Post by Sounguru » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:54 am

Just got my first BC and went out and practiced....

Results

1/2 weight for practice
14 lb mono (Flouro still waiting until I'm more comfortable)
100 Cast
14 Back-lash
1 so bad I had to re-spool
Went from about 20 feet to over 80 feet in casting as I got more comfortable ...
Accuracy still questionable
Still need to test skills on water (casting in drive way)
Caught one Catfish (cat got tangled in the line on retrieve..:alien: )

All in all not bad for my first run at it and it isn't a high end jobbie so I'm quite happy with the results.
Last edited by Sounguru on Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

blurock
Warrant Officer

Post by blurock » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:47 am

I got lots of casting practice last weekend, and tried to pay attention to what I was actually doing... and when casting overhand I hold my reel sideways... Makes everything much easier, and all the angles and the way I hold the reel is technically the same as a sidearm cast, just with my arm bent up instead of over lol
Fish Like A Girl

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:54 am

I removed the last brake on my Calcutta 400B yesterday and honestly expected to visit the bird nest farm like I did the last time I had no brakes on. 100 plus casts and only one barely qualifies for a bird nest occured. Best part is I'm casting way farther than before.

Again it takes practice. The harder you throw the more likely you will birdnest/ratnest the line.