Where to Find Catfish

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Mahain
Angler

Where to Find Catfish

Post by Mahain » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:38 pm

Sorry been in washington for about 4 years and have yet to catch a catchfish here. Don't have a boat and live in the Bremerton area. Where is a good lake close to me to catch some decent catfish.

Thanks in advance

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Where to Find Catfish

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:08 am

Mahain, welcome to the site. The few catfish lakes that I know of are not what I would call "Close" to Bremerton. Rose lake near chelan, Swofford ponds, West side.

But since you are new to the site... go to "Lake Reports" click under county lakes. go through the "Info" section of each lake in your county. You will see some info. on what fish are likely in said lakes. You may find one that claims to hold catfish. Then go into the reports for that lake and maybe you will see a catfish report.
For some reason targeting catfish is one of the least talked about fisheries on this website. Obviously they are not as abundant here as in other parts of the country..... but def. a few lakes have them.

Edit: click on http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/ya ... h.aspx#0|5

put catfish into the search for posts... you will get about 5-6 pages of mention.
Last edited by The Quadfather on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:53 pm

I just saw this thread. I was going to ask everyone where a good lake was with an abundence of cats channel to be exact. I was talking to my dad last night and us being from the south running trout lines at night could catch them anywhere. Store bought around here just aren`t as good for fried catfish or catfish courtbillion. My dad told me I need to spend more time catfishin and less time bassn. Anyone know if there is yellow cats around here. Quad your right about catfish not being mentioned to much on the site. Maybe it`s because you have to aquire a taste for them. The more they taste like dirt the better they are.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:47 pm

harts lake, Pierce county.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:27 am

I remember the old threads about catfishing mentioned that Lake Washington has catfish around the Seward Park area. Thats just a ferry ride across the sound. Plus you can catch perch and other fish.
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:49 am

I know that Lake Washington has bullheads, but I've never seen a channel cat, or heard a first or second hand account of it. I've done a lot of searching, and most of the channel catfish in washington are in columbia river and tributaries of it. The Yakima river has some, and the lakes over there.

Closest I've heard to me is Sowfford Pond or Green Lake or this Harts Lake. I've heard stories of Gissberg lakes putting out channel cats.

I love catfish, I'd love to catch a big one. I've done quite a bit of searching on the WDFW website and have found permit proposals for fish management where someone wanted to plant a specific lake, but I don't know if they were accepted. It'd be awesome to get some big cats around here, even a 1 or 2 pounder is good eating though! But in the meantime when I want to fight something big I'll just have to tug on some carp.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:10 pm

call the df&w biologist. they'll know where the channel cats have been stocked in the past. the lakes i've found on my own or with some help from members on this site are:

Harts Lake (pierce county)
Swofford Pond
Green Lake (king county)
Kress Lake

out of those 4, i've only fished harts & swofford. harts isn't nearly as good as it was in the early to mid 2000's but there are still some big cats in there. I haven't fish swafford as much as i'd like to because the cow's on the way there and i tend to get sidetracked chasing steel. I've seen and heard about more channels 10lbs and up from there then anywhere this side of the mountains.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:25 pm

Campbell Lake up on the way to Deception Pass. That is my "go to" lake for Kitty Cats.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.