10' foot fiberglass rebuild ...

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
G-Man
Admiral

RE:10' foot fiberglass rebuild ...

Post by G-Man » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:48 am

Nice, looks like some quality work! The multi colored paint job is an effective theft deterrent.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:15 am

For the outside of the hull, I would be inclined to not use a bed liner material. Just refinish with gelcoat or epoxy paint. If you are worried about abrasion just add a couple of those keel protector strips.

Red neck or not, bed line on the bottom means you won't be dragging it across the grass to get to the lake. traction is one thing you don't want on a boat bottom.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:02 pm

PAINT !?!?!?.....N/M

Sounguru
Petty Officer

Post by Sounguru » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:39 pm

Bodofish wrote:For the outside of the hull, I would be inclined to not use a bed liner material. Just refinish with gelcoat or epoxy paint. If you are worried about abrasion just add a couple of those keel protector strips.

Red neck or not, bed line on the bottom means you won't be dragging it across the grass to get to the lake. traction is one thing you don't want on a boat bottom.
Dragging it across grass is not a concern I have a trailer I use which will have a wheel system as soon as I find more inline skates at the good will.:-$

Bed-liner serves 2 purposes for me abrasion and sound dampening because this boat echos worse than a metal one from my experience with the hull design when head on into any chop/wave at all.

Plus the cost of keel guards (the full 10' x 2 and I would need them that long because even the back get's scraped up) are more expensive from what I have seen, than the bed-liner would be unless you have a good source.

Good news is everything worked like a champ so for this season besides the bottom protection and trailer mod I'm golden. This winter I will bring her in remove the center seat, add storage boxes, Live well, Full decking built in, and battery compartments with wiring to the rear if all goes well.

Then I will sand and paint her with a good epoxy or Gel-coat inside and out. I'm thinking of painting her up like a top end Nitro, but make the markings say Z.5 :clown:

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:28 pm

To dampen the sound, just add carpet. It doens't take much either, just a few pieces or a welcome mat or two. Get the indoor/outdoor stuff, cut it to fit and just lay it in the bottom. Glue isn't necessary, it is easier to pressure wash the carpet if you can remove it from the boat. If you do use carpet, get the non looped variety, like astro turf or the stuff found on bass boats, they don't hold barbed hooks.

Sounguru
Petty Officer

Post by Sounguru » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:47 pm

It is the outside of the hull causing the problem not the inside ... :)

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:44 pm

Are you talking about reducing the sound of waves slapping the boat when you are underway? Carpet on the inside will dampen/absorb the sound of any hull noise whether generated on the interior or exterior of the boat. It is sort of like hanging curtains in an empty room.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:43 am

Uhhhh, where's my seat?:-" :) Looks perfect for the smaller/medium sized lakes! Have fun in it.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure