RL's 10ft jon (Mod Thread)

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
rl206
Commander

RL's 10ft jon (Mod Thread)

Post by rl206 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi guys just noticed this section and was workin on the boat so I thought I'd post it.

I like reading builds off Tinboats.com so figured I'd do something like that too...

I bought a 10ft Lowe Line off another member about a month ago, I finally started in on it.

Heres pretty much how I bought it on day 1

I took it out briefly to get a feel for it, It leaked in multiple spots, so I decided first things first, its gotta float so the bottom was where I started.

Starting on the bottom of the boat and work from there.

I knew it was going to be fun because of all the silicone that was everywhere.

I began with sanding it, all the rivets were wobbly to the touch so after sanding i used razor blades and exacto knives to remove as much as I could

I squeezed in a play day w/ it and got rewarded w/ its first and only fish in it since I've been in possession of it

Day 2
After work I marked all loose rivets w/ a sharpie and drilled them out, I used 3/16 rivets.

You can see all the white marine epoxy on the rivets that got replaced

I plan on getting the bottom finished, check for leaks and truck bed liner the bottom and sides up to the first rib,
Will keep this updated as much as I can!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

RE:RL's 10ft jon (Mod Thread)

Post by Mike Carey » Tue May 31, 2011 9:30 pm

fun project!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:36 pm

I sold that to another member of wash lakes haha also bought it from another member here. It didnt leak last time I used it but it sat in my brother inlaws yard all winter full of water. Im sure thats why the rivits and silicone didnt hold. I didnt do the repair work on it
. Just saying lol. That boat has been through atleast five members on washington lakes.

Seriously dude I caught about 800-1000 bass on that boat. Took it to potholes moses and lots of seep lakes. I would have kept it if it was bigger.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:40 pm

Haha thats rediculous, well itll fit in the back of my 4runner so its what I have to deal w/ for now.

I will have room for a trailer by next year so itll probably go to another member sooner or later, but I figured it will be a fun and good boat to learn on for my next one,

Off topic but tnj Im pretty sure I drive by you from time to time on my lunch breaks by ikea, is that you?

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:41 pm

rl206 wrote:Haha thats rediculous, well itll fit in the back of my 4runner so its what I have to deal w/ for now.

I will have room for a trailer by next year so itll probably go to another member sooner or later, but I figured it will be a fun and good boat to learn on for my next one,

Off topic but tnj Im pretty sure I drive by you from time to time on my lunch breaks by ikea, is that you?
Thats me. Stop by and get food man no charge!
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Tue May 31, 2011 11:18 pm

Sorry RL about the topic changer.No free food but I`m sure I drive by you everyday also as the office and shop are right by there. I go by there at least twice a day. This should be a great thread to see and learn from. I`m thinking about doing my boat so this could give some ideas. Back to topic.
Last edited by rjn cajun on Tue May 31, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:28 pm

tnj: Are you at jersey's?

rin cajun: Wow, small world haha. What kind of boat do you have?

But for an update, I was skeptical at first and kind of still am but decided to do it anyways.
I got the $90 Herculiner kit at Auto Zone.

Here are some pics after about 30mins (from last night)

I plan on going up to the first rib on the sides due to the amount of rivets, and that the majority of them need to be replaced, just for aesthetics, ill do the bow portion and halfway up on the transom.

I have more pics but am off to work, will upload tonight...

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:24 pm

RL I have a 10ft Livingston. Not aluminum like yours. Mine seems to be alot harder to do things with since it`s a tri hull and fiberglass. I just want to put a casting deck and a couple other mods to it but I don`t have the balls to touch it and risk not bass fishing since that`s my only boat. I did do the Rhino Linning last year and it works great except in the summer when it`s hot. Then it feels like it`s 200 in the boat. Not sure how smart that was but it did sturdy it up a bit.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:28 pm

Yup im the gm here.

Boat looks alot better already!
Anthony

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:14 pm

tnj8222 wrote:Yup im the gm here.

Well now ya got a new customer. Like I said above I drive by there at least twice a day and now a new stop a couple times a week.[drool]

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:48 pm

rjn cajun wrote:
tnj8222 wrote:Yup im the gm here.

Well now ya got a new customer. Like I said above I drive by there at least twice a day and now a new stop a couple times a week.[drool]
Right on. Will send you a pm with my number. I will give you a few free lunch cards. If you like east coast subs you will love jersey mikes.
That goes for all wa lakes members pm me I will hook you up.
Sorry rl206 for the hijacked thread.
Anthony

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:31 pm

Yep I got it from TnJ and now Ryan has it,..been through alot of us,..sadly I didn't take it out on the water before I sold it to you Ryan so all I knew is it was water tight,..well at least you're making good progress and learning from all the work being done,..I must say it looks 100% better and it'll be great for the next person,..GOOD JOB! When you start to deck it I'll be paying close attention as I have a 14'Jon I want to deck too!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:45 am

Tnj: Jersey Mikes! I go there all the time haha, in fact went there today, never thought anything good could come from the Jersey shore :safe:
But im not gonna lie i saw your sticker on the truck so i did look around for that pond but theres just an open grass field...
Today there were a few people shootin bow and arrow it was pretty nuts

Bassinbomber: Dont worry about it, im sure I would have done everything i did to it anyways, plus a buddy happened to have a rivet gun, rivets and lots of other tools haha

But...

Herculiner's instr. claim 1-4 days setting time, 24hrs and it's ready for "light use"

I figure w/ the rain and humidity it'll probably be close to 4 days but had a chance to let it get some sun

A close up... This pic was about 14hrs afterward, still spongy to the touch

On a side note, before I redid the rivets it leaked from well, everywhere. After replacing, took it to a local lake for about an hr and confirmed leakage from only 2 spots, so was happy to see all of my new rivets w/ marine epoxy held.
I hope the Herculiner does the rest after touching it up.

Its really porous and I think ill be happy w/ it for $90 as well as it helping w/ the leaking from the transom.
I figured it could take some "light use" and flipped it over and did some really brief brainstorming w/ cardboard...
(cardboard wasnt trimmed up to fit 100% just stood back to take a pic, and the dog got her tennis ball stuck behind the bike)

Decking is still a ways out but am trying to get realistic ideas, because ive heard and read all of the 1032 & 1232 horror stories...
Last edited by rl206 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:02 am

tnj8222 wrote:
Seriously dude I caught about 800-1000 bass on that boat. Took it to potholes moses and lots of seep lakes. I would have kept it if it was bigger.
By the way...
How did it do on the big lakes? Im assuming on the days w/ no wind [confused]
Last edited by rl206 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:14 pm

rl206 wrote:
tnj8222 wrote:
By the way...
How did it do on the big lakes? Im assuming on the days w/ no wind [confused]
My brother in law is over 300 pounds im about 200 with batterie and gear we were ok. This was lower goose seep lakes. I never took it out on a big lake, bought a bass boat for that lol.
Anthony

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:48 pm

BassinBomber wrote:Yep I got it from TnJ and now Ryan has it,..been through alot of us,..sadly I didn't take it out on the water before I sold it to you Ryan so all I knew is it was water tight,..well at least you're making good progress and learning from all the work being done,..I must say it looks 100% better and it'll be great for the next person,..GOOD JOB! When you start to deck it I'll be paying close attention as I have a 14'Jon I want to deck too!

BB
too funny, a WL.com "pass around a share" boat. I like it. Liner looks good, but curious - not doing the insdie as well?

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:30 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
BassinBomber wrote:Yep I got it from TnJ and now Ryan has it,..been through alot of us,..sadly I didn't take it out on the water before I sold it to you Ryan so all I knew is it was water tight,..well at least you're making good progress and learning from all the work being done,..I must say it looks 100% better and it'll be great for the next person,..GOOD JOB! When you start to deck it I'll be paying close attention as I have a 14'Jon I want to deck too!

BB
too funny, a WL.com "pass around a share" boat. I like it. Liner looks good, but curious - not doing the insdie as well?
Well im still on the fence about that, I wasnt sure how hard that would make it to do the rivets again if it needed to be done, I mainly did it for durability and to help w/ the leaking issue.

I go to East. Wa a lot and i dont want my shoes to melt, because im not sure how im decking it yet. Im still worried about how tippy it will be, last time out we put both batteries in the middle section on each side and it seemed to help a lot.

Ill finish the outside and see how much left I have

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:59 pm

Its not to tippy as is, but I put in a casting deck then removed it because I didnt feel safe. Especially when I hook a pig and forgot about safety.

I wouldnt rhino line the inside, that stuff gets hot and will make you sweat big time. I would repaint it though.
Anthony

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:02 pm

BB
Before me it was bavnuts before him tdots and I believe tdot got it from another member
Anthony

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:02 pm

Before work update, got one side sanded and only one rivet to replace only took 45 mins.

Last edited by rl206 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.