Fish-N-Fool Tournament Conversations Post Here!

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
basser90
Warrant Officer

RE:Fish-N-Fool Tournament Conversations Post Here!

Post by basser90 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:01 pm

Way to go AMX and bassman. Just got back from 5 days at Palmer and caught several largies to just over 5#'s and a few decent smallies but couldnt get bit on these colors. Water was really rising. They were pretty picky on color, at least for me. Thought I'd be able to post a few but had to go my confident baits to get the good bites. :-({|=

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon May 23, 2011 7:08 pm

Well, this morning I caught the one that got off twice yesterday. :cheers: 3lb 2oz Smallie. Had the boat positioned better, back in the corner of the wall and the other dock, tight fit, good thing there wasn't any breeze today [laugh] , so he couldn't swim off to the right and get wrapped around a post. So he came dragging straight out this time.
Last edited by Amx on Mon May 23, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Tue May 24, 2011 12:40 am

Unless someone comes up with a miracle I`m gonna say it`s between two people. Goin out on a limb with that one.:-({|= I`m gonna wait till the last day to post all of mine. I got em tied up to a dock.:^o

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue May 24, 2011 12:53 am

You working tomorrow morning?
Tom.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Tue May 24, 2011 1:12 am

Amx wrote:You working tomorrow morning?
Yep and the rest of the week looks slow. Won`t know till tommorrow but looking that way.

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Thu May 26, 2011 2:45 pm

Wow, MarkFromSea really stepped it up..great job. Good job everyone!
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu May 26, 2011 2:50 pm

30 hours hunched over in the the Lil Jon boat over 2 days, sat eve - mon afternoon, paid off at Stan Coffin. I tried H for a day of that with smaller than 14" fish being caught so no entries for that day. H seemed to have more fish on beds, but super finicky. H is totally infested with sunfish, lots of imature bass in the sunfish schools along the shore. AMX, you only need 2 fish to take back the lead, "You Can Do It!" I found that to get the hooks to stick I had to not seat the point close to the body of the bait. I also used a stinger or trailing hook for a while. Luckily there isn't as much snag material in Stan Coffin. Stan is a great lake for beginners such as myself. I saw a few large catfish at Stan, no takers. It seemed like the fish that bit well were still in the deeper water and not committed to a bed yet. Essentially 3 general locations on the lake that I did well. I don't know if I can apply this to other lakes. I did have one Kirk Gowdy "American Sportsman" moment. The hook up was heavy, the run was long and deep(none of the other fish made a run), then it started to come up, felt like there was something about to happen that I couldn't stop, when it broke the surface, it's big bucket mouth wide open, the fish shook like one of those paint can shakers, bing, out came the hook. In hindsight, what I should have done once he turned for the surface was reel like hell and shove the tip of my rod as deep into the water as I safely could. I suspect that once he broke the surface, the arch of the line in the water straightened out once it hit the air, giving the fish the slack that he/she needed to set herself free. I say good job bucket mouth, I'll see ya another day!
Last edited by MarkFromSea on Thu May 26, 2011 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu May 26, 2011 4:15 pm

Congrats MarkFromSea :cheers: That must have been one heck of a weekend. [thumbsup] Not to mention the BIGGIE that got off.
Tom.

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Thu May 26, 2011 5:46 pm

Marky Mark, Nice report and good job on scoring some fish. I'm sure you already know this but those times and moments when we loose quality fish like that, will make us better fisherman. Hopefully. I lost 3 good fish at Silver 2 weeks ago #-o I wish I could have figured out 'why' that day instead of laying in bed at night for the next 2 weeks thinking about it, but now I know what I would do differently next time. Keep up the good work.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu May 26, 2011 6:03 pm

Amx wrote:Congrats MarkFromSea :cheers: That must have been one heck of a weekend. [thumbsup] Not to mention the BIGGIE that got off.
It's that one, of several, that got off that is the most memorable of all of the fish that trip. The other bass had good initial strength but lacked the "uhmpff" after about 2-5 seconds. That very first tourney entry has some lesions and was very skinny for it's length. The rest looked healthy. Lots of fish with tags, the numbers were so small to read though, I gave up trying to read them after 2 failed attempts. Time for reading glasses???? It did feel good to get it to all come together nicely saturday and monday. Thanks AMX, now get those two more fish and retake your crown! :)

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu May 26, 2011 6:21 pm

basser90 wrote:Marky Mark, Nice report and good job on scoring some fish. I'm sure you already know this but those times and moments when we loose quality fish like that, will make us better fisherman. Hopefully. I lost 3 good fish at Silver 2 weeks ago #-o I wish I could have figured out 'why' that day instead of laying in bed at night for the next 2 weeks thinking about it, but now I know what I would do differently next time. Keep up the good work.
Losing that fish, the images keep replaying in my head like a movie. I feel that I've saved 100s of large trout and salmon from jumping excessively by shoving the rod tip deep into the water, I'm not sure why I didn't instintively do it with that bass, I frigin saw it coming! Cause I was sitting?? Cause I was tired?? LOL I'll get her next time! Thanks Basser!

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Thu May 26, 2011 9:46 pm

Nice job MFS the board was looking pretty scarce with only AMX and Basser on there. If someone would have offered me the bet that no one was catching AMX I would have lost some $. You definetly established a great pattern. I think you should go back and catch another bag to put it away. AMX is gonna catch ya. Congrats again on a nice come back.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:30 pm

Went fishing for about an hour today,
caught a 6 pound channel cat on the pearl white sink-n-fool. :bball:
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu May 26, 2011 10:32 pm

Fish_Bait111397 wrote:Went fishing for about an hour today,
Post the picture, it might qualify for something.
Tom.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Thu May 26, 2011 10:33 pm

Fish_Bait111397 wrote:Went fishing for about an hour today,
Now that sounds yummy. Did ya take any pics for Rick aka fish n fool?

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:33 pm

Naah, I didnt take any pics. Phone died, and didnt have the camera on me. #-o Maybe i can get another one next time. :)
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri May 27, 2011 12:53 am

So we have 4 days left, lot's of baits sent out but not so many posting - are you holding back, fished with no luck, or haven't fished? Just curious. Those that have posted have some pretty nice fish!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri May 27, 2011 12:56 am

Some of us are thinking some people are holding onto their pictures until the last day/minute. :-#

That's ok I guess.

Now that I have my new tool made, maybe I'll get busy and catch some fish. [img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ima ... /devil.gif]d[/img]
Tom.

907fisher
Petty Officer

Post by 907fisher » Fri May 27, 2011 12:59 am

Mike Carey wrote:So we have 4 days left, lot's of baits sent out but not so many posting - are you holding back, fished with no luck, or haven't fished? Just curious. Those that have posted have some pretty nice fish!

For some reason it seems like I couldn't catch aids with a dirty needle at this point. I don't know what's going on, It's not from lack of trying though.

rockjiggr
Warrant Officer

Post by rockjiggr » Fri May 27, 2011 1:13 am

I am planning to make a run for the money over the weekend. Starting a new job two days after the opening of the contest kind of hurt my fishing time. The weather has not really cooperated with me either on the days when I could fish so far too. I hope to at least get another 4 or 5 fish entered. We shall see.
The cast that catches the fish is never too short. Patrick McManus