Fish-N-Fool Tournament Conversations Post Here!

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

RE:Fish-N-Fool Tournament Conversations Post Here!

Post by Mike Carey » Sat May 21, 2011 1:04 am

natetreat wrote:Yea, AMX has added two smallmouth to his post. Originally I thought we were supposed to add them all to the same post, but then you said to add new posts for each fish. Not sure, but his other two fish haven't shown up on the leader board.

OK, thanks. It would be better for guys to post new pics in new posts so I can keep track of them. Learning what works best as we go along...

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat May 21, 2011 1:10 am

I'm finding out it's more complicated than just stuffing a hook into these baits, letting them fly and getting them wet. LOL Yeppers!

I've drown em, stuck em in weeds,
cattails,lilly pads, brush and even trees.
I've smothered em in crayfish stink,
cursed em, blessed em and even kissed them.
I've thrown em left and right, fore and aft.
I've drug em, tossed em, pitched em and danced em.
I'm tempted to stomp on em! LOL

I know, what's missing is the fish and "refined" technique. I caught em on the cranks and spinner baits. Pre tourney I did catch one on a FnF bait.

The fat lady aint singin yet, so, I just keepa tryin boss! LOL

Congrats to the two entrants that have caught and posted. =d>
Last edited by MarkFromSea on Sat May 21, 2011 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat May 21, 2011 1:15 am

MarkFromSea wrote:I'm finding out it's more complicated than just stuffing a hook into these baits, letting them fly and getting them wet. LOL Yeppers! I've drown em, stuck em in weeds, cattails, lilly pads, brush and even trees. I've smothered em in crayfish stink, cursed em, blessed em and even kissed them. I've thrown em left and right, fore and aft. I've drug em, tossed em, pitched em and danced em. I'm tempted to stomp on em! LOL

I know, what's missing is the fish and "refined" technique. I caught em on the cranks and spinner baits. Pre tourney I did catch one on a FnF bait.

The fat lady aint singin yet, so, I just keepa tryin boss! LOL Congrats to the two entrants that have caught and posted.

Keep at it, these baits will definately catch big fish as we are beginning to see. Here's rigging tips on the Fish-N-Fool web site:

Rigging Tips

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat May 21, 2011 1:32 am

#-o It's poetry Mike. It has some of that iambic pentameter stuff and rhyme in it. Not a complaint. :) Sure, I'm a bit frustrated. I did point out I caught a bass on FnF bait pre tourney......... The bait moves pretty slick on the fall and when, I think it's called, finesse. Looks like a worm dance to me. :sunny:
Last edited by MarkFromSea on Sat May 21, 2011 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat May 21, 2011 3:18 am

I didn't read anywhere to add any aditional fish to a different post. But I know now. :-)
Tom.

Interests: living

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Sat May 21, 2011 3:25 am

natetreat wrote:Yea, AMX has added two smallmouth to his post. Originally I thought we were supposed to add them all to the same post, but then you said to add new posts for each fish. Not sure, but his other two fish haven't shown up on the leader board.
:-$ Don`t give him any more length he`s already ahead. At this rate I`m gonna have to catch several like yesterdays. Now if I can just catch em on them foolish baits I`ll be ok.:-({|=

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Sat May 21, 2011 4:43 am

Tues is coming. Watch out. [flapper]
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat May 21, 2011 6:23 am

Amx wrote:I didn't read anywhere to add any aditional fish to a different post. But I know now. :-)
I hadn't heard it either. I was wondering how a good bass catcher was going to post more than 3 photos. LOL I'm just praying for "one" now......... LOL Thanks!
It's all good!

rockjiggr
Warrant Officer

Post by rockjiggr » Sat May 21, 2011 5:06 pm

I cant seem to catch a break in this contest. Started a new job this past week so no fish time during the week. Did not think I would get to fish at all this weekend either since I agreed to work a side job today, Saturday, but it turned out I was able to get out early this morning anyway.

The day looked like it might be good, hit the water at daybreak and motored toward my chosen spot to start. But, about 3/4 of the way there, my motor cut out. Forgot to check the gas tank and ran out of gas. Bummer, now I am 1/2 mile away from the launch and need to be off the water by 10am. Gonna have to fish the shorelines quickly and work back to the launch to make it out on time.

Got to my first spot and heard another boat coming quickly. Lake speed is 5pmh in the morning and this guy in a bass boat was flying like he was in a B.A.S.S. tourney on Table Rock or something. He flew down the lake and parked right on another of my spots I was going to work toward. :{ He was too far for me to hollar to about the speed so I just gritted my teeth. Oh well, gotta keep fishing and moving back toward the launch.

A little while longer, while I am working a little island that has always been productive for me, a man and his kid in a little boat comes trolling along and the man has the boat headed between me and the island. I mean, I am about 40 feet from the island and this guy is intending to troll between me and the shore of this small island. I try to get his attention but apparently, etither he cannot hear me above the sound of his own motor or he is ignoring me. Finally, I yell at him about 20 yards from him intersecting me, "Hey, I'm fishing here!" He proceeds to remind ME about the lake speed limit as if I was the one who was flying down the lake at 50+mph and I have to tell him that it was not me but the other guy on the opposite shoreline. Finally, he turns his boat away from his original path.

After that, I continue fishing but immediately get hung up and end up breaking my best rod. *&%#$&*! This is not going well at all.

I reluctantly put the broken rod away and keep fishing and working toward the launch again. I ended up catching a 2.5# smallie on a drop shot, a small bass around 8 inches and a perch. Had a few bites on the sink-n-fool but no hookups. All the while I am fishing, I am looking at the time and fretting the need to be off the water by 10.

Not my best day on the water and I am thinking I likely will not get another chance to fish until next weekend at best. It would be nice to at least enter a fish in the contest. Winning looks to be out of the question at this point. Still, I am glad for the chance to participate and glad to receive the lures.
The cast that catches the fish is never too short. Patrick McManus

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat May 21, 2011 6:08 pm

Now THAT is a sucky day.

Yes I've had a 'speed boat' idle between me and the shore. I was about 20 feet from a wall and they went thru anyway. At least I didn't break my rod the same day, only a couple years earlier then that for the broken rod.

I did run out of oil for the outboard one time during a club tourney on Potholes, took me awhile to find the info in the owners manual that it had 1/2 hour running time on the oil in the resevour on the motor, so "BEEP BEEP BEEP all the way home" to the launch at 50 mph.
Tom.

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Sat May 21, 2011 7:49 pm

Amx,has a super cool set up for his tournament measuring board! I don't like seeing fish laying on the
deck or carpet even worse. We all know fish have a protective slime which prevents disease and sores. Being as
careful as possible to avoid knocking this protective coat off and handling fish with wet hands is
conducive to a healthy C&R! Key word "healthy". Second key word "cool"
Last edited by spindog on Sun May 22, 2011 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Sat May 21, 2011 8:24 pm

Wow Rock that`s a bad day. Days like that would make me think twice about going out again. I can honestly say I don`t think I`ve heard of such misory in a short time. It can only get better from here.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat May 21, 2011 9:09 pm

OK, don't look now but Amx has had a stellar day (again). Fortunately we have prizes for more than just 1st Place... not that I'm calling it with a week to go, but he has a commanding lead! These baits obviously having some staying power to catch this number and still fish strong.

Still lot's of time left, Derby ends May 29th end of the day.
Last edited by Mike Carey on Sat May 21, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Sat May 21, 2011 9:55 pm

Keep trying Rock! Your time will come! Hope the next outing makes up for the problems!
Inland Fish Program - WDFW
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Sun May 22, 2011 12:34 am

Wow rockjiggr, sorry to hear. I know what you mean about limited time too. I just want to post at least one fish myself. BTW...go Tom!
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mark Haley
Petty Officer

Post by Mark Haley » Mon May 23, 2011 12:07 am

Sorry to here about your day rock, have not had one like that in long time, but I know how you feel.
Question for AMX, How is your bait doing after catching your fish, Im sad to say after saturday Im down to one bait and it is the white one, lost the other three to the bass, bad thing is I did not even get to see the fish that stole the bait, two of the baits I lost the whole rig, reeled back just line on the pole, so I will try to see what I can do with one bait left.

Best of luck to all fishing the derby

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon May 23, 2011 12:20 am

Lost the green one to a tail grabber, took it right off the hook, Mon. I think it was. I think I caught that fish a couple days later, I think it was the only fish under 2lbs if I remember correctly. Smallie.

Lost the grey/silver one to a break off Sat/yesterday morning. Thought it was a Largie as I saw the white tummy as it broke off. It even fought like a Largie, didn't see the head or tail at that time, but it was a Smallie and fought like a Smallie the second time when I landed it later in the day. I caught that fish later with the red lure, what was left of it, it was 4 7/8" long at the time. Got the hook back anyway. I think I see the worm on the bottom, but can't reach it with my stick.

Lost the red lure today under a dock.

Lost the white one yesterday/Sat., but hooked the lure this morning and saved it.

So I'm still in it for now. The white worm is getting ragged, but still mostly solid.

There is a big one that got off twice today. I'm thinking of going in a bit, or just waiting until tomorrow, not sure yet.

Today was the first time I caught a fish on these lures that was under 14", this one was a Largie at about 10".
Last edited by Amx on Mon May 23, 2011 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Mon May 23, 2011 2:49 am

Amx wrote:Lost the green one to a tail grabber, took it right off the hook, Mon. I think it was. I think I caught that fish a couple days later, I think it was the only fish under 2lbs if I remember correctly. Smallie.

Lost the grey/silver one to a break off Sat/yesterday morning. Thought it was a Largie as I saw the white tummy as it broke off. It even fought like a Largie, didn't see the head or tail at that time, but it was a Smallie and fought like a Smallie the second time when I landed it later in the day. I caught that fish later with the red lure, what was left of it, it was 4 7/8" long at the time. Got the hook back anyway. I think I see the worm on the bottom, but can't reach it with my stick.

Lost the red lure today under a dock.

Lost the white one yesterday/Sat., but hooked the lure this morning and saved it.

So I'm still in it for now. The white worm is getting ragged, but still mostly solid.

There is a big one that got off twice today. I'm thinking of going in a bit, or just waiting until tomorrow, not sure yet.

Today was the first time I caught a fish on these lures that was under 14", this one was a Largie at about 10".

If you guys a had been fallowing my posts I told about a couple methods I use to keep from loosing the baits and keep them on the hook, It doesn't work if you break your line. though, so you better learn to tie the Fish-N-Fool Knot. Here is a great method to keep my Sink-N-Fool's or any soft plastic bait on the hook

http://washingtonlakes.com/forum/yaf_po ... onger.aspx

I also showed how to wacky rig
http://washingtonlakes.com/forum/yaf_po ... post119714
Last edited by Fish-N-Fool on Mon May 23, 2011 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inventor of the Fish-N-Fool Knot , Winner of Knot Wars

Watch my Fish-N-Fool Show on YouTube
oAoqZvrqY7o

907fisher
Petty Officer

Post by 907fisher » Mon May 23, 2011 6:37 am

I can't seem to catch a break lately. Got skunked all weekend, I don't know what's going on. I've been throwing everything but the kitchen sink at these damn fish. I'm gonna take the next couple of days off then break out the tube at Lake Tapps, I know it's too late to make a come back in this tourny but I just want to catch a legal fish.

On the FnF baits,

I like how durable they are compared to other plastics and I'll be buying some here shortly. I definitely wanna try out the silver minnow and watermelon green. I'm happy with how these look in the water and I know it's only a matter of time until I hook up again.

Hopefully everyone else is having better luck than me out on the water.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon May 23, 2011 10:45 am

Wasn't the knot that broke, it was the line at the knot. When I caught the fish later the hook was still in him and the knot was still tied to the hook. Any line and any knot will have that happen.
Tom.