Smallies VS. Largies

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Smallies VS. Largies

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:15 pm

What do you guys think fight harder?
Say, a 3lb Smallie vs. a 3lb Largie.
What will fight harder?
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

fishingmachine
Admiral

RE:Smallies VS. Largies

Post by fishingmachine » Tue May 17, 2011 10:20 pm

3lb smallie in my opinion. they are crazy and run all over and jump like crazy especially in the summer.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue May 17, 2011 10:22 pm

Smallies fight faster and quicker. And they are strong.

Largies fight 'stronger' while 'bulldogging' their way around.

Funnest to fight with = smallies.
Last edited by Amx on Tue May 17, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue May 17, 2011 10:47 pm

Pound for pound, smallies by far are more fun to fight. However, if you like to watch a fish blow up your top water lure, gotta go with the largies.

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Tue May 17, 2011 11:29 pm

What they all said. I don't fish smallies much but I do enjoy hooking them up.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:55 pm

A 3lb. smallmouth will pull a 3 lb. largemouth backwards. However, I much prefer fishing for largemouth if I had to choose between the two.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Wed May 18, 2011 12:11 am

I think this is opinion. Depends on what time of the year you are fishing. I`ve had the pleasure of fishing florida strain LMB in the south. Being from Louisiana. Now I`ve had the pleasure of catching SMB. I think here in this part of the country smallies will pull a LMB apart. You get over towards dale hollow and I think the opposite. When the water gets colder I think LMB will pull a smallie. This is just my opinion.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed May 18, 2011 2:58 am

Having only caught bass in Washington, I am also of the opinion that SMB are stronger fighters. However, I do think that LMB are more entertaining due to the topwater action. I find I tend to enjoy fishing for SMB more than LMB due to the fight. JM2C [wink]

Eoso
Warrant Officer

Post by Eoso » Wed May 18, 2011 3:53 am

From what I hear they will always push a LM off of its bed down on the Delta and other lakes down in that area.

907fisher
Petty Officer

Post by 907fisher » Wed May 18, 2011 3:58 am

I've never caught a smallie but from what I hear they are definitely the harder fighters. But I wouldn't mind catching a 3lb largemouth or smallie anyday.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed May 18, 2011 5:24 am

A 2lb smallie fights harder than a 3lb largie.

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Wed May 18, 2011 5:24 am

907fisher wrote:I've never caught a smallie but from what I hear they are definitely the harder fighters. But I wouldn't mind catching a 3lb largemouth or smallie anyday.
Good point. Any day you can catch any bass is a good day :thumleft:
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed May 18, 2011 5:36 am

I'd be happy with ten fourteen inchers of either at this point.

907fisher
Petty Officer

Post by 907fisher » Wed May 18, 2011 5:59 am

BassDood wrote:
907fisher wrote:I've never caught a smallie but from what I hear they are definitely the harder fighters. But I wouldn't mind catching a 3lb largemouth or smallie anyday.
Good point. Any day you can catch any bass is a good day :thumleft:
Aint that the truth!

I see your a Float Tuber as well. Don't you just love the looks/comments you get everytime you're out in the water?

And also if anyone wanted to drop teh new guy a hint or two on where to pick up some smallies, I wouldn't be offended :-"

kenimes
Petty Officer

Post by kenimes » Wed May 18, 2011 12:07 pm

Smallie will be more of a fight.

As for where to catch 'em? This one was caught on Palmer Lake in Okanogan county. About 5-10 miles below the Canadian border, just on the Eastern side of the Cascades (where it rains a lot less). Good LM fishing at this lake as well.
Attachments
palmerbass.JPG
palmerbass.JPG (174.99 KiB) Viewed 2822 times
Last edited by kenimes on Wed May 18, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pic

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Wed May 18, 2011 12:16 pm

BentRod wrote:Having only caught bass in Washington, I am also of the opinion that SMB are stronger fighters. However, I do think that LMB are more entertaining due to the topwater action. I find I tend to enjoy fishing for SMB more than LMB due to the fight. JM2C [wink]
The topwater action for smallmouth can be phenomenal. It is one of the best methods for catching big smallmouth as well. Give it a try now through September.

kenimes
Petty Officer

Post by kenimes » Wed May 18, 2011 12:31 pm

tagwatson360 wrote:
BentRod wrote:Having only caught bass in Washington, I am also of the opinion that SMB are stronger fighters. However, I do think that LMB are more entertaining due to the topwater action. I find I tend to enjoy fishing for SMB more than LMB due to the fight. JM2C [wink]
The topwater action for smallmouth can be phenomenal. It is one of the best methods for catching big smallmouth as well. Give it a try now through September.

Yep- the one I just posted a picture of was caught in early June with a frog colored top-water popper. Both LM and SM at the right time of year, will pound top-water lures.

lonnie197272
Warrant Officer

Post by lonnie197272 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:42 pm

I second that Tag, top water action for huge smallmouth is incredible. Its like a largemouth on steriods they absolutely explode the bait. Anglers just miss them alot more because of the smaller mouth and not waiting to feel the fish and setting the hook on sight and sound rather than feel.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed May 18, 2011 2:22 pm

tagwatson360 wrote:
Tag, Good point. I didn't intend to imply that topwater is not applicable to SM. Thanks for clarifying. I meant that I like to fish for LMB during the middle of the summer via topwater due to the heavy vegetation in the local lakes. Watching the water boil in multiple locations while pulling gear over the pads and then having the lure blow up is just plain entertaining in my opinion. [thumbsup]

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed May 18, 2011 2:35 pm

Bronze over Green.
"One more......."