Lake Dead - Ideas?

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Mike Smith
Petty Officer

Lake Dead - Ideas?

Post by Mike Smith » Sat May 14, 2011 7:30 pm

I fished Blackman's Lake in Snohomish yesterday, trolling standard, can't miss flies at all levels in water column. We were among half dozen boats on the water. There were a dozen or so folks fishing from the docks. Morning was fairly warm. Water was about 56 degrees. Light wind wrinkled the water. Light, overcast sky. In the 4 morning hours we were there, one small fish reported caught among all fishers. (That one was, I think, an exaggeration.) Otherwise, nothing caught by 25 or so fishers on the lake. I have never seen this lake so dead. Even in winter folks manage a few fish.
There are tons of fish in that lake. It is heavily planted and there are numerous hold overs every year.
Any ideas? One guy said the weather has been so changeable in the last week that the fish are down until temp and rain conditions are stable for a while.
Any thoughts?

BentRod
Admiral

RE:Lake Dead - Ideas?

Post by BentRod » Sat May 14, 2011 8:29 pm

It seems when the weather is unstable, the bite is also unstable. Last year at this time, the trout fishing for me was incredible. Lately I've had to work my butt off just to get a hit. The barometric pressure took a nose dive between Friday and Saturday, so wouldn't doubt that fishing will be hit or miss until things even out.

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

RE:Lake Dead - Ideas?

Post by Rooscooter » Sun May 15, 2011 7:15 pm

The weather doesn't stop Trout from eating..... especially in the spring. My guess is that they were feeding on a chironomid hatch of some sort and not looking for a lot of motion.

On our side of the mountains the weather changes 4 or 5 times a day in the spring and the fishing will go through lulls, especially when it is sunny in my experience.

When I stop getting strikes when trolling I usually will try to find the fish with my finder and then set up directly over them and fish vertically with buzzers, chironomids and scuds until I find what's making them hold.

Tight Lines!

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”