New Basser needs suggestions on bait casting set ups

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
basser90
Warrant Officer

RE:New Basser needs suggestions on bait casting set ups

Post by basser90 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:58 pm

Amx wrote:how much do you want to bet? have you caught a 10 pound largie in Wa state? I have, on a spinning rod and crankbait. Back in '94 and I am still using that very crankbait lots of times.
#-o I can't help it. Tom I'll buy you lunch if you can effectively run a buzzbait with your spinning reel. As far as a 10#er. Can't seem to break the 8# mark. Now, 9 years ago my 10 year old son caught a 10.2 here in Snohomish County on a spinning reel but not a crank. As far as spinning with a crank, sure anybody can do that. I tie one on my girlfriend and kids rods so they can enjoy the reaction bite without the birdsnest. It will work :scratch: I pitch and flip with with extreme accrucy with spinning gear. I'll bet you dessert on that too. :)
Last edited by basser90 on Thu May 12, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu May 12, 2011 2:13 pm

Not only do I pitch and flip with my spinning gear, I've done it since 1966, or maybe it was 1965, can't remember for sure. I can even visualize the very place on the pond in N. Calif. that I learned to flip, and why. LONG before Dee Thomas and his friends coined the term 'flippin' and refined it and the gear. As Dee has said "They did flippin long before they named it". Anything I tie on the spinning gear I pitch and flip now and then, including topwaters. All my levelwinds have been left hand wind, except the first one - a salmon rod and reel - including my 2 flippin sticks, as are all my spinning reels, so no I don't waste effert changing hands. I even have one of my reels from 'back then'. I'd maybe use it except it has a broken bail spring and I can't find the company to see about getting another spring.

Oh ya, I do have a rod and reel dedicated to buzzbait fishing. Spinning of course. :)
Last edited by Amx on Thu May 12, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu May 12, 2011 2:33 pm

Dont worry tom roger exbassguide also uses strictly spinning rods, I have seen him work a buzzbait with the best of them.

Although I use a baitcaster about 98% of the time. Finesse drop shot goes on spinning rod. But I also power dropshot with a baitcaster mostly under 5 feet deep water.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu May 12, 2011 3:01 pm

Yup, there are some professionals in the BIG CIRCUTS that fish mostly with spinning gear. I can't say their names because I don't bother with remembering that stuff. I think a fair number of people use casting for finesse also. I've tried it and can see some good uses for it.
Tom.

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:40 pm

[quote="Amx"]Not only do I pitch and flip with my spinning gear, I've done it since 1966, or maybe it was 1965,

:-k Hey, Wait a minute. I grew up fishing in the 60's. How old are you any way?

:rambo: wow 'power dropshotting' with a baitcaster. What's next 'spinning reel buzzbaiting' Sounds like great excersize

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu May 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Yup, people have been known to dropshot in Potholes with heavier line.
Last edited by Amx on Thu May 12, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Thu May 12, 2011 5:38 pm

Right on Tom. You got me by a couple years. [thumbup] It'll be fun to run into you sometime. Good luck

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu May 12, 2011 5:41 pm

James smiley taught me to power drop shot with a bc. He is currently pro fishing in cali winner goes to nationals.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu May 12, 2011 5:41 pm

Don't count on it. In person I'm a butthole. [img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ima ... s/eeek.gif]e[/img] [img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ima ... /devil.gif]d[/img]
Last edited by Amx on Thu May 12, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Thu May 12, 2011 5:55 pm

Amx wrote:Don't count on it. In person I'm a butthole. [img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ima ... s/eeek.gif]e[/img] [img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ima ... /devil.gif]d[/img]
Then we'ed get along just fine :eye:

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu May 12, 2011 6:03 pm

Darn.
Tom.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu May 12, 2011 7:53 pm

returnofthefish wrote:
Bigbass Dez wrote:My advice too ya on baitcasters is that you "truly" get what you pay for , so dont short change yourself..[-x
Allow me to have you look at your potential purchase from a different viewpoint .
First of all the retail price will in most cases reflect anywhere 40% to 60% mark up compared to what the merchant paid for that same reel .. If Dicks wants $99.99 for a reel , the reel wholesale cost is around 39.99-59.99 , That tells me that the real is really only worth around $50 right.
A $50 reel is not gonna have smooth bearings after one season of use , not too mention the braking system will not be the best so that will also cause unwanted backlash while on the lake..#-o
Bottom line is that in the near future you will find yourself right back in the store looking for a better reel , dont waste your money instead look to make a longterm investment because you will be much happier after two years of use with a reel that still feels brand new ..[thumbup]
I personaly like the Quantum PT & Tour series baitcasters [wub] , they are reasonably priced so you can except too find one for around 150-160 range..

Hope this helps ya out bro :-({|=

BBD
I know what you mean BBD. When I started fishing again 2 years ago, I picked up a cheap spinning combo at Walmart for 25 bucks. As I started fishing more and became addicted, I wanted to upgrade to better gear. Eventually, I have a go to combo now that cost around 200 retail. The rod is lighter, stronger and more sensitive. The reel is light weight, smoother and cast better. The cheap combo just sits at home collecting dust. Its only going to be used if a friend wants to fish with me and doesnt have any gear. I will keep that in mind when I select which reel to buy.

People that dont fish dont understand the higher price of rods and reels. A rod is just not a rod when your on the water making a 100 cast a day. When I explain fishing gear to my friends, I compare it to a mechanic using generic tools vs Snap On/ Mac toos. I work on cars all day and I could tell the difference in feel using a Snap On ratchet and a Craftsman ratchet.

Good deal bro , Im glad you understood the point i was making there .. A great source for getting deals is Bass Boats Central website.. I purchase tons of gear from that site , im willing to bet that you can spend $150 on there and get yourself a really nice reel, the deals on there are awesome at times !! :-"

As for Tom & Larry , you guys had me craking up today at work , funny stuff guys [lol] And for the record Tom is truly a nice guy and a gentleman in person , same goes for Larry also !! I think you guys should fish in the same boat at the washington lakes pic nic this year :pl:

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu May 12, 2011 8:11 pm

What??? Is this a matchmaking site now? Sorry, but he doesn't have the right 'equipment'. [img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ima ... s/eeek.gif]5[/img]

Now THIS is the proper equipment;

[img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upl ... CF2254.jpg]b[/img]
Tom.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Thu May 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on a Shimano Citica or Abu Garcia Revo S? The Citica looks like the little brother to the Curado with less ball berings and 60 bucks difference in price. The Revo S has 24 pounds of drag which might come in handy for Kings as well as getting bass out of dense cover.
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu May 12, 2011 9:37 pm

returnofthefish wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on a Shimano Citica or Abu Garcia Revo S? The Citica looks like the little brother to the Curado with less ball berings and 60 bucks difference in price. The Revo S has 24 pounds of drag which might come in handy for Kings as well as getting bass out of dense cover.

I would go with the Revo or the Curado , they are both good reels and they will work out well for your style of angling for years too come IMO .. Here are a few examples of the reels on BBC .. Check it out :)

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=675798

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=679038

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=678003

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu May 12, 2011 9:41 pm

No spinning reels for sale?

Oh ya, spinning reels are so good nobody wants to get rid of them, only those there casting reels. [img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ima ... /devil.gif]4[/img]
Tom.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Fri May 13, 2011 1:03 am

returnofthefish wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on a Shimano Citica or Abu Garcia Revo S? The Citica looks like the little brother to the Curado with less ball berings and 60 bucks difference in price. The Revo S has 24 pounds of drag which might come in handy for Kings as well as getting bass out of dense cover.
Check my original post on your thread for citca comments. Both reels are on the bulky side, but very durable. If you're fishing for kings, you might want to consider the Abu, the 24 lb drag is something shimano will never be able compete.

One of the important things with a bait caster is comfort, make sure when you look at these reels pair them with the rod your using and make sure it's comfortable palming. You could be holding on to these rigs all day fishing especially salmon fishing.

I also agree with the guys talking about right handed people using left handed reels, imo the entire industry is backwards for some reason. You should hold the rod with your right hand and reel with the left.
Last edited by kzoo on Fri May 13, 2011 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Fri May 13, 2011 2:09 am

kzoo wrote:
Check my original post on your thread for citca comments. Both reels are on the bulky side, but very durable. If you're fishing for kings, you might want to consider the Abu, the 24 lb drag is something shimano will never be able compete.

One of the important things with a bait caster is comfort, make sure when you look at these reels pair them with the rod your using and make sure it's comfortable palming. You could be holding on to these rigs all day fishing especially salmon fishing.

I also agree with the guys talking about right handed people using left handed reels, imo the entire industry is backwards for some reason. You should hold the rod with your right hand and reel with the left.
Thanks kzoo. I must of missed that. The tackle tour review of the redesigned E series said that they were able to reduce the size of the reel and added line capacity. It has the same profile as the Curado E series. THe did mention that the Curado was superior in tossing weightless plastics. Natetreat said the same thing in an earlier post. The Revo S looks like it moght fit my needs for both bass and salmon. I just wonder how it is at tossing weightless plastics like a wacky rigged senko.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocitica200e.html
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Fri May 13, 2011 2:42 am

Tough decisions. I'm pretty sure that the curodos will out cast the citca and probably the revo. Curodo has lots of pros, but drag strength is not one. The old curodos, 2 generations before the current ones didn't have great durability, I'm wondering about the new ones, but so far so good. I just don't know it can handle too many king fishing trips. I've had my citca for 3 years, and it's handled the abuse (never had a king), performance is mediocre compared to the curodo.

I'll have to agree with Natetreat on the revos. I'm sure you could cast a wacky rigged senkos, senkos are pretty heavy and have a great profile for casting. Lots of bass guys do use Abus, looks at Skeet Reese.
Last edited by kzoo on Fri May 13, 2011 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Fri May 13, 2011 3:21 am

I have 2 Revo S reels that I use for pitching because of their ridiculous drag pressure. Most times when i hook a fish while pitching, under absolutely no circumstances do I want that fish to pull any drag. if you tighten the drag down on a Revo S your line will almost surely break before your drag slips. I punish these reels all season long with tons of pitches, short casts, getting hung on various things, super fast reeling, super hard hooksets, etc., and so far they've held up admirably. That said, if i'm casting I prefer a BPS Pro Qualifier over the Revo S. the qualifier has a better breaking system and can cast farther, and is generally smoother in my opinion.