Fly Fishing Reports?

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
raffensg64
Commander

Fly Fishing Reports?

Post by raffensg64 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:26 pm

Where in the world are the fly fishing reports, fellas? As I continue to suffer from cabin fever, I read WALakes.com reports every day, and am seeing very little. Work with me, OK? If nothing else, PM with your fishing stories if you want to keep your areas a secret!

We've been hitting the 50s for temps here for a couple weeks. The snow is mostly gone, however, 40-50" of ice doesn't go away quickly. A couple of the local grayling sloughs, Badger and Piledriver, are open but the they have not moved in yet from the larger rivers. Ditto for the Chena River, which is ice-free due to it's upstream hot springs. The grayling won't be up there en masse until early summer.

My gear is prepped. The new pontoon is assembled. I have several rainbow and arctic char lakes within 10 miles of the house. But still...I must wait.

deepbuzzer
Petty Officer

RE:Fly Fishing Reports?

Post by deepbuzzer » Wed May 04, 2011 11:09 pm

Hey Gary,,

Hang in there, the ice will melt soon enough for you to fish for maybe 3 months :)
I did post a report on Medical on the 24th, had a good day.
Fished West Medical with my oldest on May 1st. Picked up some fish in 25' of water on a size 12 orange epoxy buzzer I tie..slow day, other then that I have been focusing mostly on learning Silver lakes area with a depth finder to start hitting it heavily when the water temperature hits about 60 for the tiger musky. Bought a new Echo edge 8'.4" 9 weight which I am going to cast with a 10 weight intermediate fly line to load the rod quicker with the 6"-10" flies I have been tying.

My boys and I are gong to camp out at coffeepot this weekend, I am mostly going to harass the large bass this lake has in it. And of course dunk some mids for trout if there is a hatch coming off, mostly going for the bass that are starting to prespawn.

Take care Gary.

Kevin

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Thu May 05, 2011 12:05 am

Marc and I, along with my back yard neighbor, were supposed to go fishing at Amber Lake today. Marc canceled, so my neighbor Sean and I went to Fish Lake between Spokane and Cheney instead. I read a report that someone had a good day there using a yellow and black rooster tail, so I tied up some buggers in yellow with black marabou tails and black hackle. On my way to the south end of the lake, trolling that fly along the rip rap, I managed to catch a brookie of about 8". I let him go. When I got to the far south end in shallow water, I switched to an olive wooly bugger with a black tail and black hackle. That's when I tied into something bigger. As luck would have it, my fly line got tangled around the buckle on my fins. So I stripped in as much line as was needed to keep the fish on. I was using a full sink line, so the stripped in line sank to the bottom and got tangled in the weeds. Now I'm fighting this really nice fish, fighting the line around the buckle on my kick fins, and fighting the weed holding to my fly line. I wanted to get this big guy in as fast as I could, but I hadn't extended the handle on my net and had to get him in close to land him. With Murphy, Murphy, Murphy and Murphy all working against me, I got lucky enough to bring my first Tiger Trout to the net. A 16"er and broad across the shoulders. I wanted to invite him to dinner so I put him in the net bag that my kick fins came in and tied the stringer around the oar lock on my left side. Now it's a long story, and to make it short, the knot holding the net bag to my oar lock came untied and I lost my first Tiger Trout somewhere in the middle of Fish Lake. At least I have and eye witness in my partner, but I don't have photographic proof. Even with all the BAD LUCK, I had a great day on the water.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

Post by Rooscooter » Fri May 06, 2011 12:55 am

Gary,

I've been out 4 times, but haven't posted any reports.

Fish lake has been fishing very well. I've got a few Tigers over 20" and lost one that was in the 24" range.
Medical has me baffled as usual. I sat on that stinking lake for 4 hours in the rain and only got 2 recent planter browns.
Been out to Amber twice. The first time was a stellar day with over 30 fish to net in 6 hours (with a 1 hour warm up half time in the car). The second time out wasn't as good for me. I only got a few strikes and 4 to net.

I'll be out on Fish again this week and maybe up to Fan next week.

Hang in there up in the Great White North......Awww Oooo Ku Ku Ku Aw Ooo Ku Ku..........

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

Post by Rooscooter » Fri May 06, 2011 1:05 am

Lotech Joe wrote:Marc and I, along with my back yard neighbor, were supposed to go fishing at Amber Lake today. Marc canceled, so my neighbor Sean and I went to Fish Lake between Spokane and Cheney instead. I read a report that someone had a good day there using a yellow and black rooster tail, so I tied up some buggers in yellow with black marabou tails and black hackle. On my way to the south end of the lake, trolling that fly along the rip rap, I managed to catch a brookie of about 8". I let him go. When I got to the far south end in shallow water, I switched to an olive wooly bugger with a black tail and black hackle. That's when I tied into something bigger. As luck would have it, my fly line got tangled around the buckle on my fins. So I stripped in as much line as was needed to keep the fish on. I was using a full sink line, so the stripped in line sank to the bottom and got tangled in the weeds. Now I'm fighting this really nice fish, fighting the line around the buckle on my kick fins, and fighting the weed holding to my fly line. I wanted to get this big guy in as fast as I could, but I hadn't extended the handle on my net and had to get him in close to land him. With Murphy, Murphy, Murphy and Murphy all working against me, I got lucky enough to bring my first Tiger Trout to the net. A 16"er and broad across the shoulders. I wanted to invite him to dinner so I put him in the net bag that my kick fins came in and tied the stringer around the oar lock on my left side. Now it's a long story, and to make it short, the knot holding the net bag to my oar lock came untied and I lost my first Tiger Trout somewhere in the middle of Fish Lake. At least I have and eye witness in my partner, but I don't have photographic proof. Even with all the BAD LUCK, I had a great day on the water.
Joe,
I believe that you got one.....that lake is full of them.

I go to Fish lake a lot and have found a couple of patterns that work very well for the Tigers. Try the Stayner Ducktail in dark olive and a variant with light green body.

Vary the retrieve from very fast with 3 or 4 count pauses to very slow twitches fished almost vertically.

Here is a great article on the pattern: http://flyanglersonline.com/features/lakes/part12.php

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”