palmer and omak lakes camping and launching info?

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
stryker17
Warrant Officer

palmer and omak lakes camping and launching info?

Post by stryker17 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:03 pm

maybe going to get out soon and would like to head to eather Palmer or Omak lakes, I have an 32 ft motor home and a 17 ft stryker, so I have to be a little careful about launching and leaving the rig while on the water... any thoughts on the launches at eather place? any info would be of great help..... thanks keith:bigsmurf:

skeeter bassin
Lieutenant

RE:palmer and omak lakes camping and launching info?

Post by skeeter bassin » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:14 am

I also have interest, specifically in Palmer Lake. Anybody know of any lakeside lodging other than the Lodge at Palmer Lake? $500 a night is a bit beyond my budget!!
When you think you know it all, its time to quit. Knowledge should be gained on every trip.

capnhook
Angler

Post by capnhook » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:10 pm

If my memory serves me correctly I don't believe there is any lodging on Palmer. None that I remember. The little town of Loomis is close by and you may want to check there?
And Styrker, Palmer Lake is a large round lake and you can see the launch from most anywhere on the water. Launching shouldn't be a problem even with your motorhome. I launched there 4-5 years ago and at the that time I had a 31' MH and an 18' boat. I used to fish in the valley a lot and never had an issue with vandals. That place is pretty well off the beaten trail, but now days?????

stryker17
Warrant Officer

Post by stryker17 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:17 pm

Thanks for the info, now one more question, I looked thru the fishing regs and could find nothing on Palmer lake, is this on indian land and do I need a special license for it? And on the subject of the fishing regs, anyone else having fun trying to understand them? thanks

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:16 pm

If I was going up there (Palmer) and looking for a place to stay, I always stay at Spectacle lake resort. It is very close to Palmer, just Google map it or something.
This is a cheap little section of lakeside units that sit right on Spectacle lake. Your rig will be safe there, while you boat around Palmer, or where ever. Spectacle lake resort is fine bunch of folks. Has a little general store with what you needs, has a grassy lawn behind your room, which opens up to the lake front and lawn. You can even rent a 12' aluminum to puts around Spectacle with. I don't remember any lodging in Loomis, but you never know.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

capnhook
Angler

Post by capnhook » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:44 pm

Well, you got my curiosity piqued since I hadn't been there for several years. Seems my memory of even the shape of the lake was wrong! It isn't round, but I did remember that I could see my motorhome from most everywhere I fished. The other tip you got for lodging is a good one.
As far as the regs issue goes, I give. If a lake isn't listed doesn't that mean that statewide rules apply? Maybe try that other forum topic on the page and ask that question. Pretty sure it isn't on any reservation land.

yjfun
Angler

Post by yjfun » Thu May 05, 2011 1:24 pm

Palmer isn't on reservation land and I have stayed at all three campgrounds on spectacle lake and they are all quite nice. I believe spectacle falls resort also has lodging available but I could be wrong.

capnhook
Angler

Post by capnhook » Fri May 06, 2011 11:16 pm

stryker, I wrote to WDFG and asked the question you had about Palmer Lake. Here is their reply:

As stated above, there are approximately 7,938 named lakes, along with over 4,000 named rivers & streams, and more than 7,000 miles of saltwater coastline in Washington State. That said, lakes that are not listed in the regulation pamphlet, such as the Palmer Lake in Okanogan County, and are neither on Tribal Land nor located within a Federal Military Installation or a National Park (WDFW regulates National Forest lands), would be regulated by the Statewide Freshwater Rules and Statewide Freshwater Species Rules as given on pages 26 & 27 of the regulation pamphlet. Page 26 states under the title 'Seasons' that: LAKES, PONDS, AND RESERVOIRS are open to fishing for game fish (except DOLLY VARDEN/BULL TROUT and GRASS CARP) year-round.

Statewide minimum sizes and daily limits apply, as given on page 27. However, if a lake were owned by a municipality such as a city or county, they could implement such restrictions as Electric Motors Only, No Motors Allowed, Night Closure, etc., that would supersede any WDFW rules. These restrictions would likely be posted in plain view right at an access site. For more information regarding any of these possible restrictions, you may want to contact that County's Department of Parks & Recreation or Sheriff’s office.

Hope this helps! Good fishing to you...

kenimes
Petty Officer

Post by kenimes » Tue May 17, 2011 3:51 pm

Chopaka Lodge is on the lake:

Chopaka Lodge features three waterfront cabins and 10 RV sites on Palmer Lake. Pets are allowed and there is a boat launch. 509-223-3131

More affordable than the Palmer Lake Lodge. Do not think Loomis has lodging, but Oroville is only a 20 min. drive from the lake, and they have hotels/ motels/ RV park. Tonasket is also only about 25min away.

Spectacle is also a good choice.
Last edited by kenimes on Tue May 17, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Camping Life - the BEST places to go (and avoid!)”