WDFW & Kalispel Tribe Meetings on Northern Pike

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:WDFW & Kalispel Tribe Meetings on Northern Pike

Post by kevinb » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:51 pm

Yankin Jaw Guide Service wrote:Tonites the meeting in Newport at 6pm at the Create Arts Center 900 W 4th Ave. Please everyone if you have well thought out questions for WDFW please bring them and get them answered. I hope we have business owners that come as well...This not a complaining sessision but a time to hear what WDFW's plans are for the river and your chance to have your suggestions heard by them. See everyone there tonite....
Wish you folks the best of luck.
Is this just WDFW? or will the tribe be on hand as well?

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:42 pm

It was a meeting with both WDFW and the Kalispels. The meeting i felt was very productive. To see the attitude of everyone a month ago and to see it today is like night and day. I appreciate that WDFW is now asking for our suggestions on how to manage the Pike on the river. Hopefully we can educate everyone that they need to start keeping these small fish and to return the bigger fish over 28". I think we could really save them some money as far as gill netting costs if we as anglers all tried keep the smaller fish. Hopefully they could give us a year to prove to them with a little education and a challenge put out to fisherman and women that we can reduce numbers. I guess we'll see where things go in the future. Thanks again everyone for putting on a imformative meeting and good luck tonite in Spokane..
YJ Guide Service 509-999-0717

Official WashingtonLakes.com Guide Sponsor
YJ Guide Service Guide/Owner
Jerry's Lure Design Field Staff

We fish for Sturgeon, Chinook Salmon, Walleye, Burbot, Tiger Muskie, Rainbow Trout, Channel Cats and Largemouth Bass

sparky1doug
Lieutenant

Post by sparky1doug » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:18 pm

Glad to hear it! The dark clouds are clearing and I believe we can see a little sun again. Thank you all for showing up and speaking up. WDFW and the Kalispel's we're glad your listening and hope this is a positive move forward for all concerned.
"Forever Fishing Washington State" my fish friendly blog on Google.
http://foreverfishing-sparky1doug.blogspot.com/

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Thats great to hear that the meeting went well.
Got to give a ton of credit to WDFW for being proactive and getting the anglers involved. Thanks for the update

Natebg1
Lieutenant

Post by Natebg1 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:38 am

This is AWESOME,

It sounds like a new era of fishing might actually happen after plenty of communication and willingness to see the options out there! This is GREAT, see it is true, our voices can be heard if we all work together. I can't say enough good things to everyone who spoke up and were willing to put their thoughts and ideas out there. I am so proud to be a part of this group of anglers knowing that not only are we all passionate about being on the water, but we are also passionate about saving a great opportunity for the future of ALL ANGLERS!!! Just think, one day it might be possible to be chasing down 50 inch ESOX Lucius and ESOX Masquinongy all in the same day in Washington, now how GREAT would that be. Talk about Best of ALL Worlds, anglers from Everywhere will flock here just for the opportunity!!! I know that there are plenty of friends and family back in the Mid-West just waiting to come visit and of course Fish for these Monsters! Well, now I say let's get to the important part and GO Fishing!!!

Nate

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:11 pm

Heard the meeting in Spokane went well just like the Newprot one. Good to see the turnouts for these meetings were attended by many people. Goes to show that the Pike fishery is a big deal here in Eastern Washington and does have a faithful following. Hopefully we can get a Pike club here in Washington someday.

We fish for Sturgeon, Chinook Salmon, Walleye, Burbot, Tiger Muskie, Rainbow Trout, Channel Cats and Largemouth Bass

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:34 pm

Is there enough pressure on the Pend Orellie to keep the numbers down?
The last time I was there I fished from Newport down to Usk and only saw two other boats all day.
Was anything said at the meeting about the Pike getting into the Columbia? or what happens when they do?
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:41 pm

I think that with the right eduacation to inform fisherman to keep as many small fish as they can and to implement a slot to put back the bigger fish it might work. I think if they gave us a full year and then rechecked numbers we could take this as a challenege and make it happen. At the worst they wouldnt have to spend as much money trying to remove all the fish they want reduced themselves. It could be a money and manpower savings that way. I think if we did have a Pike club they could say we will have keep everything except big fish tournaments once a month from march through Oct we could make a big diffrence. They didnt really say what would happen, they just want to be proactive and try and make sure they dont get into the Columbia. I think they should spend the money and time to protect everything above Boundary Dam. They have said they cant get ride of them so why not embrace them as a money maker for Pend Oreille County and the Tribe. They would be able to promote them as a trophy fishery here if managed right. Its clear that the Trout fishery will never be what it was because of the dams and because of the type of water way it is now shallow,warm, and slow moving all things that dont make a very good trout fishery. The reports all show this has been the trend since the late 80's.

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:45 am

YellowBear wrote: Is there enough pressure on the Pend Orellie to keep the numbers down?
The last time I was there I fished from Newport down to Usk and only saw two other boats all day.
Was anything said at the meeting about the Pike getting into the Columbia? or what happens when they do?

I fished it this last Wed, (not even on the weekend), and in very spot I went there were guys fishing. In some places there were as many as 6 boats within sight, along with a bunch of bank anglers. So I think there is plenty of fishing pressure to reduce the numbers, I just hope it doesn't get over fished.
Last edited by Fish-N-Fool on Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inventor of the Fish-N-Fool Knot , Winner of Knot Wars

Watch my Fish-N-Fool Show on YouTube
oAoqZvrqY7o

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:49 pm

Well, that surely confirms the 14.1% unemployment rate for Pend Oreille County, doesn't it.:-"

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:09 pm

I agree that as a Trout River the Pend Orellie has been less than steller.
In the 60s and 70s it was loaded with big schools of Largemouth.
In the 80s when the Bass clubs started fishing tournaments up there was when it started its down hill slide.
Now that it has Smallmouth and Pike, I wish I haden't moved so far away, lol.
I plan to fish the Pend Orellie a few times this year and will do my best to help keep the numbers down, lol.
Thanks for the info Yankinjaw.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:40 pm

No problem anything to help out a fellow fisherman....

River-haven
Angler

Post by River-haven » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:10 pm

I attended the meeting in Newport and appreciate the WDFW & Kalispel Tribe's efforts to explain the intent of their upcoming surveys. Noxon Reservoir (located upstream on the Clark Fork in Montana) was brought up and I'd like to again address the similarities between Noxon and Box Canyon reservoirs. Noxon is 34 miles long, Box Canyon is 55 miles in length. I agree with the WDFW that our pike are likely descendents of Noxon's pike migrating downstream through/over the dams during heavy springtime runoffs. Noxon and Box Canyon both have similar habitat with weedy bays and sloughs punctuated by deep, open and flowing channels and pools. Similarily, both reservoirs have large and smallmouth bass, walleye, brown, rainbow, cuthroat trout and PIKE. More importantly, both reservoirs have huge forage fish populations including: peamouth suckers, perch, sunfish, crappie, pike minnows and others. The point is, these two reservoirs are nearly mirror images of each other. One exception, Noxon has had pike for over 40 years. Yet, the pike in Noxon have not "eaten themselves out of house and home" as frequently threatened. But rather, they have thrived to the point where Jon Hanson, a fish biologist with the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks stated in the Missoulian, June 2, 2010, "It's got probably some of the best bass and pike fishing in the state, right up there with Fort Peck." Furthermore, there are pike up to 20 pounds or more and in 2009 a state record largemouth bass (8.8 lb) was caught in Noxon. I don't know what,if anything, Montana has done to maintain this superb fishery. The point is, in 40 years they haven't "eaten themselves out of house and home." I believe the key to the ability of the gamefish to coexist is the diversity of both habitat and forage fish in both reservoirs. I hope we can all agree to work together to protect this trophy fishery.

Mark K
Lieutenant

Post by Mark K » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:51 am

River-haven wrote:I attended the meeting in Newport and appreciate the WDFW & Kalispel Tribe's efforts to explain the intent of their upcoming surveys. Noxon Reservoir (located upstream on the Clark Fork in Montana) was brought up and I'd like to again address the similarities between Noxon and Box Canyon reservoirs. Noxon is 34 miles long, Box Canyon is 55 miles in length. I agree with the WDFW that our pike are likely descendents of Noxon's pike migrating downstream through/over the dams during heavy springtime runoffs. Noxon and Box Canyon both have similar habitat with weedy bays and sloughs punctuated by deep, open and flowing channels and pools. Similarily, both reservoirs have large and smallmouth bass, walleye, brown, rainbow, cuthroat trout and PIKE. More importantly, both reservoirs have huge forage fish populations including: peamouth suckers, perch, sunfish, crappie, pike minnows and others. The point is, these two reservoirs are nearly mirror images of each other. One exception, Noxon has had pike for over 40 years. Yet, the pike in Noxon have not "eaten themselves out of house and home" as frequently threatened. But rather, they have thrived to the point where Jon Hanson, a fish biologist with the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks stated in the Missoulian, June 2, 2010, "It's got probably some of the best bass and pike fishing in the state, right up there with Fort Peck." Furthermore, there are pike up to 20 pounds or more and in 2009 a state record largemouth bass (8.8 lb) was caught in Noxon. I don't know what,if anything, Montana has done to maintain this superb fishery. The point is, in 40 years they haven't "eaten themselves out of house and home." I believe the key to the ability of the gamefish to coexist is the diversity of both habitat and forage fish in both reservoirs. I hope we can all agree to work together to protect this trophy fishery.
Great points, and very well said there River-Haven. I cannot personally comment on it because I've never been to Noxon. I can tell you though I have heard the NIPA guys just rave about the Pike fishing up there! It's funny to hear people complain about the Pike and point to Montana as their example of what not to do, and "how bad it's gotten there". Yet I hear nothing but about great things about the fishing in Noxon!!

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:34 am

No doubt,Noxon harbors some big northerns and big bass too.
Theres a tourney set for Sept.10/11 out there,check it out if you can.
Great fishing and gorgeous country. Cabinet Gorge might be worth a look too
but I've never been there and it doesn't sound as productive as Noxon but might be worth a look.

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:24 pm

Wish I new someone who was going over to fish in Noxon it would be great fun...

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Mon May 02, 2011 3:59 pm

Hey Yankin. I am always looking for an excuse to go catch them in Montana! In fact I am going to Flathead May 15-17. If you ever get an idea to go my schedule is pretty open and flexible.