Pasco area Sturgeon Fishing on the Columbia

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Xwisconyfisherman
Petty Officer

Pasco area Sturgeon Fishing on the Columbia

Post by Xwisconyfisherman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:00 am

Hey guys reaching out for a little help here. Planning a trip to go after some Sturgeon the middle of April down by the Pasco/Yakima yacht club area. My big question is what is the current like down this way? I'm wondering what size of lead I should be using? I was guessing around 8 oz cannon balls? Any advice as far as areas to fish/bait and set ups would also be great but i understand if you want to keep that stuff to yourself. I would just really like to know how much lead a guy needs to stay on the bottom. My game plan was to use 6-8 once cannon balls on a sliding swivel with a foot and a half leader with squid.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

RE:Pasco area Sturgeon Fishing on the Columbia

Post by fishaholictaz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:24 am

I would think you are fine with that set up on that stretch... Might get away with 6 oz. depending on the spot.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Xwisconyfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by Xwisconyfisherman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:31 pm

Fishaholictaz, Thanks for the advice I wasnt sure how much more current there would be with with the spring melt off.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:57 pm

As you know, my opinion is to use no weight, trade in that rod, switch to a jig and start casting structure. Trade that stuff in and find some smallies.

PS I'm bringing my drop shot rod...

Xwisconyfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by Xwisconyfisherman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:40 pm

Yes...you may bring your drop shot rod.......However sometime a MAN needs to branch out a little and go "sturgeon hunting". lol...

anyone else have any suggestions on sinker size/locations to fish/or bait....(and no Aaron I'm not asking you....)

Redbeard
Angler

Post by Redbeard » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:37 am

I've never sturgeon fished that area,but we've been in that stretch 3 times in the last 2 months and the current is pretty mellow. The river is fairly wide all through the Tri-Cities area and you should have no problems with 6 to 8 ounces of lead.

Xwisconyfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by Xwisconyfisherman » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:54 am

correction I will be fishing down by Pasco by the walla walla yacht club...

deltadog
Petty Officer

Post by deltadog » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:21 am

Are there any bait shops in the Richland area that sell sturgeon baits?

deltadog
Petty Officer

Post by deltadog » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:32 am

Xwisconyfisherman wrote:Hey guys reaching out for a little help here. Planning a trip to go after some Sturgeon the middle of April down by the Pasco/Yakima yacht club area. My big question is what is the current like down this way? I'm wondering what size of lead I should be using? I was guessing around 8 oz cannon balls? Any advice as far as areas to fish/bait and set ups would also be great but i understand if you want to keep that stuff to yourself. I would just really like to know how much lead a guy needs to stay on the bottom. My game plan was to use 6-8 once cannon balls on a sliding swivel with a foot and a half leader with squid.
Are you bank fishing?

Xwisconyfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by Xwisconyfisherman » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:53 pm

Delta,
We will be fishing out of a boat and launching at the yakima yacht club. I'm not sure about the your other question about the bait. We just bougth some squid and white elephant in spokane and some sturgeon scent/along with herring

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:13 pm

deltadog wrote:Are there any bait shops in the Richland area that sell sturgeon baits?
I know in Kennewick at Wholesale Sports I've seen some stuff in there. Dyed herring, I think they had anchovies too. Can't remember what else they had there. I'm sure if they had that stuff that they probably have pickled baits too for sturgeon.

deltadog
Petty Officer

Post by deltadog » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:14 am

jbball50 wrote:
deltadog wrote:Are there any bait shops in the Richland area that sell sturgeon baits?
I know in Kennewick at Wholesale Sports I've seen some stuff in there. Dyed herring, I think they had anchovies too. Can't remember what else they had there. I'm sure if they had that stuff that they probably have pickled baits too for sturgeon.
What about herring roll-mops?

Xwisconyfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by Xwisconyfisherman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:32 am

bump

deltadog
Petty Officer

Post by deltadog » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:38 am

What would one say about stuffing a whole squid with salmon roe? Sound like a good offering?

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:39 pm

I wouldn't waste my good steelhead eggs on strugeon!! For lead I prefer to use pyramids over cannonballs they hold better, although I have both in my box and usually just use whatever I grab first. 6-8oz should be good, maybe buy 1 or 2 10's just to be safe. Use a 6/0 and bigger circle hook, barbless, if you plan to use squid or herring use a longer leader so you can wrap the dacron leader around the bait several times. Anchovies also work well. In the past I have cured my fish in rock salt to harden them up a bit, they sturgeon seem to love the salt. Another good bait is sand shrimp, just tie 2-4 of them whole/live onto to the hook with miracle thread, doesn't matter what they look like, just tie em up and secure them. I think the baits of choice for the C are squid, anchovie, and northern pikeminnow. Below is a video of how to rig whole fish for use, squid can be rigged in a similar fashion using a series of half hitches.

Last edited by Matt on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Xwisconyfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by Xwisconyfisherman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:13 am

Thanks for the advice everyone.
I like that squid and eggs idea

Xwisconyfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by Xwisconyfisherman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:20 pm

alright trip got pushed to mid May still open for ideas!!

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:07 pm

Well I can tell you that the best (Only) stergeon fishing I ever did was on the snake river. We used trout for bait. The guide had gone and caught several trout in the 10" range. He put them in a ziplock bag in the sun for a couple of days. When they came out of the bag, YOU KNEW IT! He wrapped them with a few wraps of ordinary string and we sent it to the bottom. He said the more they smell, the further away the stergeon can smell them. We did pretty well. I personally caught a 6 1/2 footer on that trip. Good fun! My advice for you though is to stay at home and catch pike.
Last edited by AJ's Dad on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Pike Supremacist"

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:17 pm

Hmmm, can't say that I agree with the above message. I don't think you want your meat to go rancid, that will actually deter the fish from biting. They like things with a strong natural odor, not a decaying nasty odor. Same rule for crabbing, I have heard people say to leave chicken in the sun for days before use.... try it, the results speak for themselves when you get skunked. Also, I think it is against the law to harvest gamefish or foodfish with the intention of using them as bait. Carcasses may be used as bait, but catching trout with the sole intention of using them for sturgeon bait is illegal, I believe.

Use FRESH bait either straight up FRESH, brined overnight in rock salt, or pickled. Pickling works well but is the messiest and smelliest of the above methods. Use plenty of scent with your offering.

....but heck, what do I know?

Last edited by Matt on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:04 am

deltadog wrote:
jbball50 wrote:
What about herring roll-mops?
I'll try checking this weekend, I've been busy with work on weekdays and been going out of town to Wazzu to visit and back to my parents to the westside last few weekends.