Salmonid Identity

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bboard
Angler

Salmonid Identity

Post by bboard » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:03 pm

Can anyone tell me what is the most likely species of fish I saw around 5:00 PM today in a river near Skykomish? From a distance of 50 feet above the stream I saw 20 - 30 schooled fish in water about 2 feet deep over small stones and gravel. They appeared to be salmonids with dark backs, 12 to 18 inches in length. I have no idea whether they were trout or salmon, or whether they would take a fly. I hope to find out about that tomorrow!

bboard

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Salmonid Identity

Post by A9 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:57 am

Pinks most likeley....

If they were schooled up in really shallow water high up on the Skykomish system they might be spawning....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

bboard
Angler

Post by bboard » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:55 am

Thanks Sam.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:08 pm

If they were in a river near the TOWN of Skykomish they were most likely White Fish that you saw, not pinks. As far as I know the state only trucks Steelhead, Kings and Silvers past Sunset falls.