Interesting bass vid

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kzoo
Commodore

RE:Interesting bass vid

Post by kzoo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:28 am

I started froggy fishing using spinning gear. At that time, braided line was getting popular. I was thinking, why bother learning and paying for a baitcaster. I bought some fireline and a heavy action rod. At the lake we fished at, it had thick mats and lillies. We caught fish with spinning gear, but had troubles pulling them out, we would have to go after them versus pulling them out, and at times they'd be gone when we went after them. Later on, we decided to use baitcasters. The biggest difference is just that, it's easier to pull the fish out.

It's totally possible to fish heavy vegetation with a spinning gear, but there's a better tool. Hell, guys down in Florida use Cane poles with golden shiners.

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:21 pm

Awesome strike. When I first saw the video my first thought was 'Why in the world is he using a spinning outfit' When I first started bass fishing, I basically used anything I had in regards to gear. Like most of us I've evolved my bass fishing thru the years. Fish will always be caught. But thru the years the better my rods,reels,lines,baits,and even boats have gotten so has the fishing. For throwing frogs I use a Lamiglas 7'2 Tournament Frog Rod. When I first starting fishing in the late 50's early 60's I would love to of had a spinning reel. Back then they were just open face reels, nothing like todays baitcasters. Real tough to fish the rivers. But those of us that grew up with them are probably pretty good and quick at getting out birds nest. Hey Tom, a little secret...spinning rods and reels are really good with buzzbaits :-$

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:27 pm

As with most things in life there is a time and place for everything. I use both Spinning gear and baitcasting gear almost every time I fish. And it is true that you can do anything with a spinning rod that you can do with a baitcaster if you use the right equipment. I have a bunch of 6'6" med-hvy spinning rods a use for most of my Sink-N-Fool baits anda 7' for my Mouse bait I make because I like to skip cast these. If you like to skip cast then a spinning outfit is the best way to go.

This is my Floating mouse bait. It is a little chewed on, as it had already landed quite a few nice fish. It always lands belly down and rides nose up in the water. It will swim right over any kind of slop or cover and it has a cool swimming action just like a real mouse. I don't sell these as the are way to time consuming to make, but I love to fish them. It has a hard body that is covered in soft plastic. It took me years to get it weighted right and still float.

It is a killer bait, like the topwater frogs are, that the fish just explode on it. I've had fish jump a foot out of the water to pull the bait out of the grass when I made a less then perfect cast. LOL Oh the pike like it a lot too. :thumleft:
I throw it on a 7' heavy action spinning rod, with a hi speed 9 bearing reel. I don't fish a lot of frogs but I would most likely use the same rod for them.
I also like to use a spinning rod for smaller lighter crank baits. If I'm throwing spinnerbaits or buzzbaits I only use a baitcaster, as well as with all my swimbaits and larger cranks.
Last edited by Fish-N-Fool on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inventor of the Fish-N-Fool Knot , Winner of Knot Wars

Watch my Fish-N-Fool Show on YouTube
oAoqZvrqY7o

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:32 pm

Kool mouse. [thumbup]
Last edited by Amx on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:36 am

tagwatson360 wrote:Lesson #1 on how to guarantee you will lose a trophy fish:

Throw a frog on a spinning rod.
i was gonna say if this guy is behind these lures, his gear tells me pretty much all I need to know. is that a ML action rod too? he must have just cut his drop shot off to fish that frog.