Interesting bass vid

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Interesting bass vid

Post by Amx » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:56 am

Got this from the car web site I'm on;

kP9gY-_MLbA

Tom.

Interests: living

tagwatson360
Commander

RE:Interesting bass vid

Post by tagwatson360 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:35 am

Lesson #1 on how to guarantee you will lose a trophy fish:

Throw a frog on a spinning rod.

skeeter bassin
Lieutenant

Post by skeeter bassin » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:56 am

tagwatson360 wrote:Lesson #1 on how to guarantee you will lose a trophy fish:

Throw a frog on a spinning rod.

BINGO!!!!!!
When you think you know it all, its time to quit. Knowledge should be gained on every trip.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:15 pm

That hit made him jump so bad lol.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:30 pm

He wasn't expecting the hit. He was getting ready and even looking for his next cast. A total suprise.

He didn't lose the fish because of spinning gear, he lost it because he was horsing it a bit. You know what can happen with a suprize attack like that. [scared] [laugh] [img=http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ima ... hooked.gif]y[/img]
Last edited by Amx on Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:20 pm

That was cool. I love a good topwater strike.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:26 pm

Amx wrote:He wasn't expecting the hit. He was getting ready and even looking for his next cast. A total suprise.

He didn't lose the fish because of spinning gear, he lost it because he was horsing it a bit. You know what can happen with a suprize attack like that. [scared] [laugh] [img=http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ima ... hooked.gif]y[/img]
First off, awesome strike. Doesn't get any better.

This site is all about learning. Even things meant for entertainment can offer valuable lessons. If you are running a topwater frog on spinning tackle, you are going to lose more fish, plain and simple. We've been over the specifics of why this is the case many times, so no need for redundancy. I'm not saying spinning tackle is the only reason he lost this fish, but he was setting himself up for failure before he even made a cast, in my opinion.

We've all been surprised by a strike and set the hook too early. Especially on lures like buzzbaits and topwater frogs that are notorious for aggressive, unexpected strikes, often times right at the boat. That being said, there is another great lesson in this video: ALWAYS be prepared for a strike until your lure is completely out of the water. Bass are ferocious predators and will often attack something that is attempting to flee. This is simulated well when we begin reeling in more quickly to make another cast. Regardless of where and how you get bit, try your very best to exercise the necessary patience to set the hook at the appropriate time based on the type of strike and cover. You develop the feel and timing of this with experience. In the case of this particular strike, he was a moment or two too early.

Based on how the area laid out in the video, I have no idea why he wasn't fishing the cast through, especially in a stealthy boat like he is using. If you throw topwater, swimbaits and reaction baits for any length of time, you will have big fish strike right at the boat on many occasions.

Lesson #2 - The cast is not over until the lure is out of the water.

We may write the cast off mentally after the lure is out of the "strike zone", but the bass doesn't know what the "strike zone" is. Be ready at all times and don't lose focus.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:45 pm

so be 'redundant' and explain with GREAT detail just why spinning tackle doesn't work so good with anything to do with bass fishing - and frogging in piticular. And it CAN'T be claimed 'heavier line' as with braid you can use 65 lb test with 10lb dia., or whatever dai it is. So THAT isn't even close to an argument anymore. I've NEVER heard of ANY reason why spinning is so bad to use for bass fishing.

Not to mention AGAIN!!! that ocean and surf fishermen use spinning LOTS of times, and on MUCH bigger fish than the world record bass. Of course there is the 'cover' argument, but then the 65 lb braid comes into play - so can't be argued there.

Furthermore med action is med action, casting or spinning same same. The reel, the line, the lure, the fish have no idea what rod, or what reel, or what line is being used.
Tom.

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:21 pm

Amx wrote:so be 'redundant' and explain with GREAT detail just why spinning tackle doesn't work so good with anything to do with bass fishing - and frogging in piticular. And it CAN'T be claimed 'heavier line' as with braid you can use 65 lb test with 10lb dia., or whatever dai it is. So THAT isn't even close to an argument anymore. I've NEVER heard of ANY reason why spinning is so bad to use for bass fishing.

Not to mention AGAIN!!! that ocean and surf fishermen use spinning LOTS of times, and on MUCH bigger fish than the world record bass. Of course there is the 'cover' argument, but then the 65 lb braid comes into play - so can't be argued there.

Furthermore med action is med action, casting or spinning same same. The reel, the line, the lure, the fish have no idea what rod, or what reel, or what line is being used.
Spinning tackle has MANY great applications in bass fishing. I never said it didn't.

Don't take my word for it in regards to frog fishing....All of the top rod manufacturers in the industry make at least one or two rods designed specifically for topwater frog fishing. These manufacturers rely on the top professional bass anglers and frog fishing experts in the country to help design their frog rods. Guess how many of these are spinning rods??? Zero.....

You already mentioned the key issue with your saltwater argument: cover. Saltwater anglers use large spinning reels because of the drag systems and line capacity. Most saltwater species make long, powerful runs that make spinning tackle a perfect choice in many applications. However, in frog fishing with a clamped down drag, getting the fish away from cover and into the boat quickly is paramount. This is not the time to be "sporty" and let the fish make surges and pull drag. Leave that for open water dropshotting, shaky heads, split-shotting, etc.

Granted, there are some long and extremely stout spinning rods designed for Saltwater fishing that can be coupled with heavy duty saltwater reels and 65 lb. braid. That being said, the spinning tackle in the video was grossly underpowered for trying to land a fish of that caliber. I believe you have to admit that, especially since he was originally intending to get bit in the pads he threw into.

Aside from the hooking and landing perspective, casting accuracy, silent entry and walking the frog are a few major considerations as well depending on the scenario. Again, the advantage goes to baitcasting equipment hands down for all three.

We may have to agree to disagree on this one. I will continue to use baitcasting gear for my frog fishing. If I am missing a golden opportunity by not using spinning tackle, then shame on me for not thinking outside the box.

I must admit, I love watching this strike. Thank you for posting the video. We are both presenting our opinions. Lively debate is always interesting and good for the site.
Last edited by tagwatson360 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:29 pm

Ok, discribe to me the 'proper rod action' that a bait caster can do, but a spinning rod can't while working a frog. I have no trouble working a frog, getting a strike, hooking a fish, getting the fish out of cover like on Silver, and landing the fish with my spinning tackle. Even out of the cover on Potholes, you know brush is much harder on line than pads are. And I only use mono. Some day I MIGHT try braid, but am in no hurry.

And as far as the rod/rod blank itself, there is no reason why the manufacures can't put spinning guides on and sell a few that way. They don't because most people still think the spinning reels are stuck in the '50s and '60s as far as quality and strength, they just haven't kept up with how good the spinning reels are today.

Oh and I've been told I'm not a bass fisherman unless I'm using casting equipment. I get tired of those people who put down others for using their chosen type of equipment. You didn't do that so don't think I'm accusing you of that, but others have and I won't put up with it anymore. I've acually been told I'm a lier for fishing the way I do.
Last edited by Amx on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Amx wrote:Ok, discribe to me the 'proper rod action' that a bait caster can do, but a spinning rod can't while working a frog. I have no trouble working a frog, getting a strike, hooking a fish, getting the fish out of cover like on Silver, and landing the fish with my spinning tackle. Even out of the cover on Potholes, you know brush is much harder on line than pads are. And I only use mono. Some day I MIGHT try braid, but am in no hurry.

And as far as the rod/rod blank itself, there is no reason why the manufacures can't put spinning guides on and sell a few that way. They don't because most people still think the spinning reels are stuck in the '50s and '60s as far as quality and strength, they just haven't kept up with how good the spinning reels are today.
That is excellent that spinning tackle works well for you in this application. If you can land big fish in heavy cover with a frog on spinning tackle and monofilament line, hats off to you. Would I recommend it? No, but it works for you and that is all that matters. Take a look at a site like Tackle Warehouse, we have endless options as bass anlgers and that is the beauty of it.

I don't believe bass anglers are failing to keep up on the advancements in spinning tackle. There are many "designed for bass fishing" spinning reels in the $250+ range and even some reels north of $500-$700 as is the case with the Daiwa Steez and Shimano Stella. The demand is obviously there or they wouldn't be manufactured. Also, consumers would not be paying top dollar for this equipment if it didn't perform. No informed bass angler would argue how far technology has come with both spinning equipment and baitcasting equipment.

I would never put someone down for the equipment they choose to use. My only intention is to offer advice that I feel will give an angler his or her best opportunity for success. And in regards to frog fishing, baitcasting equipment is my recommendation.
Last edited by tagwatson360 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:49 pm

Ok, as long as we want to pick apart the equipment I now have the vid running, but paused as I make a comment here;

1] the rod isn't all that 'heavy duty' and is kinda short.

2] it looks to me to be a 2 piece rod, maybe even a trout rod. I had to replay the section of the vid just before his cast a couple times to see what looks like a 2 piece.

3] the reel seems to be a size, or maybe 2, smaller than the reel I use, but not sure of it being 2 sizes smaller.

4] looks like maybe florocarbon line, hard me to tell.

5] so - my rod is longer, stouter, with a 'slightly' bigger reel. And my equipment is about 20-25 years old and still works great for me.

I also just watch these vids for the intertainment value and most never worry about what the person is using. I just like what I like and I don't worry about what others like/use. :)
Last edited by Amx on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:58 pm

Well, most of my rods cost no more than $60 and are from 5 years old to 20 plus years old. The reels I use are from 5 years old to about 20 years old and cost no more than $35.

The 2 'expensive' rods I have are $110 Gary Yamamoto dropshot rod with a $65 reel, and $70 used St Criox dropshot rod with a $60, or so, reel.

Of course my flippin sticks are both cranking and have level wind reels, but still kinda cheap reals, but work great for that. And yes I flip with my spinning equipment as the situation calls for it.

I grew up with spinning and am much better with it, and am much more comfortable with it, that's all.
Last edited by Amx on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:32 pm

I couldn't do it any other way, for lm my deck only has baitcasters. But whatever works as long as you land the fish. I fish braid in heavy cover per tags advice years ago, and it works great for me.

For smallies I use mostly spinning gear. Except for football heads.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Eoso
Warrant Officer

Post by Eoso » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:59 pm

After watching the video I feel like there were a few things going on. His rod had a more parabolic bend and was very short. He was in a kayak and being paired with this short underpowered rod, he tried to control the fish. On top of this I don't believe his rod was long enough to keep sweeping it to the right side (around the bow) of his kayak so he made the direction change in the middle of the jump. Game over.

Also, in regards to the discussion about casting and spinning blanks. I don't believe the two systems have the same tip action or power down to the butt. I believe their builds are simply different. They don't make an identical jig rod for both types of reels and thus they will have different actions. Even if they did, the reels would still weigh different and sit different, changing the balance anyways. Horsing a fish with heavy line on spinning gear may work once in a while. But, I believe the amount of pressure and torque on the bail plus the twisting it does, wears down undersized spinning reels prematurely. I'm not putting down spinning equipment. I still use spinning for certain situations and have two set ups. One being drop shot and the other, extremely light jigs/tubes.

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:14 pm

Eoso wrote:After watching the video I feel like there were a few things going on. His rod had a more parabolic bend and was very short. He was in a kayak and being paired with this short underpowered rod, he tried to control the fish. On top of this I don't believe his rod was long enough to keep sweeping it to the right side (around the bow) of his kayak so he made the direction change in the middle of the jump. Game over.

Also, in regards to the discussion about casting and spinning blanks. I don't believe the two systems have the same tip action or power down to the butt. I believe their builds are simply different. They don't make an identical jig rod for both types of reels and thus they will have different actions. Even if they did, the reels would still weigh different and sit different, changing the balance anyways. Horsing a fish with heavy line on spinning gear may work once in a while. But, I believe the amount of pressure and torque on the bail plus the twisting it does, wears down undersized spinning reels prematurely. I'm not putting down spinning equipment. I still use spinning for certain situations and have two set ups. One being drop shot and the other, extremely light jigs/tubes.
I agree 100%. Well said.
Last edited by tagwatson360 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The HAWG HUNTER
Warrant Officer

Post by The HAWG HUNTER » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:28 am

I could see the ripples in the water to the left of the frog as soon as it came pass the pads. The fisherman didnt see that. I also dont think he had a good hook set. The rod and reel? I fished the 70's with cane pole and thought I was the man with a new zebco 33, hot back in the day. In 76 I caught my first 3+ with a cane pole that was only 4 foot long with a broke back repala. That fish hooked me on bass fishing, been doing it from then on. My gear has inproved sence 1976. lol
My Dad would say," Boy, some people just can't fish"

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:33 am

Amx wrote:so be 'redundant' and explain with GREAT detail just why spinning tackle doesn't work so good with anything to do with bass fishing - and frogging in piticular. And it CAN'T be claimed 'heavier line' as with braid you can use 65 lb test with 10lb dia., or whatever dai it is. So THAT isn't even close to an argument anymore. I've NEVER heard of ANY reason why spinning is so bad to use for bass fishing.

Even with the new lines and a rods, bait casters are ideal for dense vegetation conditions.

You need to pull the fish out of the thick vegetation right away. I believe it comes down to is torque. Take a look at bait baitcasters, its like a wench, the handle turns torquing gears directly to turn the spool and reel line. The spin casts works with a shaft turning gears and turning the bail around the reel, you're losing torque with the set up.

Now take a look at the body physiology, when curling your arm with your palm facing down portraying a spin cast, you're not using all of your bicep. Now try curling with your palm facing up portraying a bait caster, you're using all of your biceps. The additional muscle will be able to handle heavier baits and pull heavy things out.

I don't believe the guy lost the fish due to being a spin cast, he was casting open conditions. I think he lost it due to the hook set up, I've seen that video and was wowed by the action, but the hook is all the way in the front with a weed guard. I think the hook set up lost the fish.
Last edited by kzoo on Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:47 am

You mostly pull the fish out of the vegitation with the rod not the reel, then reel down and pull the fish again with the rod. But yes the 'winch' part has always been correct, but again the spinning reels are much better quality than back in the '50s and '60s, and even '70s and '80s. But I never said which is best I said it can be done.

I just get pissed anymore when people say it's stupid to use spinning and that it CAN'T BE DONE. And I get pissed when someone imediately says that it's the fault of the spinning equipment that a fish is lost. Can't blame the weeds in this case either, or the posibility that the spinning rod and reel couldn't pull the fish out of the vegitation.

If someone REALLY wants to find out more about spinning, they can talk to the professional fishermen on the pro tours that use mostly spinning equipment. I don't know their names but there is more than one of them. You even see them on tv in the tournies using spinning for crankbaits, worms, bigger jigs, and such. One guy this past weekend was using casting for dropshot, so nobody can say you HAVE to use spinning for that, but I've known that for years too. THEIR choice, you don't hear any of their competitors and friends crying about THEM using spinning for most everything.

Basicly just don't worry about what anyone else wants to use, use what YOU want and have fun.
Tom.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:17 am

I have never seen that video before. I would of crapped myself after a strike like that. Baitcast and braid for me in that situation.
aka Powerworm