Fish-N-Fool Tournament Conversations Post Here!

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

RE:Fish-N-Fool Tournament Conversations Post Here!

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:02 pm

watching ESPN I see bass kept in a live well all day, then put into a weight bag and moved to a tourney table, then held up for pictures in front of a cheering crowd, then redeposited back into a travel bag, moved back to a boat and redeposited in a lake - talk about stress!

I think bass are pretty hardy creatures.

Let's give the anglers that have entered thus far a little more credit. I'm pretty sure everyone here is on board with the goal of perserving and safely catch/releasing these fish.

Anyway, it's good it was brought up so guys can be prepared in advance. Thanks.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

f1sh1nf00l
Warrant Officer

Post by f1sh1nf00l » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:18 am

So this is going to take place over a full two week period? I guess those folks that are retired or unemployed will have the best chances at this one....Sounds like fun, but between work, and a club tourney at Moses in the middle of may, I dont think I will have time to actually compete in something like this. I hope it turns out great. I know the F-n-F baits will catch fish, I've got several bags in my posession. Cant wait to see all the pics. Best of luck to all! :thumleft:

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:37 am

:) I always have to buy some gear! LOL I've already purchased a couple of rods and a few reels, jerkbaits, spinner baits, plastics, scent, jigs, hooks, topwater, other various lures, line, ect this winter prepping to target bass this year. (I was pretty bored this winter) This tourney just happen to come along.. Now, waiting for motor parts to show up from the internet since local shops didn't have them in stock and ready to rock! And, Yep, only baits supplied may be used in this good natured, low stress tourney, various requirements for documenting, it's all good! And yes, this is a good way for FnF to promote his product, the entry fee is "FREE". I just haven't heard of such a thing, even the required bait/lure is provided at no charge. I'm all for it! I was going to fish for bass anyway, it just doesn't get any better.
So, I was gonna slap together some measure box with plywood. The slowest part of the documentation process I see is to write a date/time card for each fish, hope it's not raining.. LOL I liked someone's idea of putting plastic over the reference number, maybe I'll get a black grease pencil for the date/time stamp card, that would quicken the process. I don't know bass, I suspect they are real tough. Even some of the perch/panfish I haul back from the Colville area are alive after being out of the water for 8 hours or more, of course that is cold temps/winter ice fishing. Rhetorical question only, could these little perch be a more resilient species of fish than bass?
I'm thinking of how to keep these "limited number" of baits in one piece long enough to catch more than just a few bass. I've got some ideas rattling in the ole brain bucket, hopefully the bucket mouths will appreciate the effort! LOL Thanks Folks!:)
Last edited by MarkFromSea on Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

bassbuzzer
Petty Officer

Post by bassbuzzer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:51 am

Where is the sign up sheet?

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:34 pm

Mark if I`m reading the contest rules right and correct me if I`m wrong fella`s the verification code has to be written on a 8 1/2 x 11 card. You cam laminate or tape it whatever you have to do to keep it dry but it has to be visible in every pic.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:36 pm

bassbuzzer wrote:Where is the sign up sheet?
The sign up sheet is located in the bass fishing forum where you found this topic. It`s actually right over this one or is it under?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:27 pm

rjn cajun wrote:
bassbuzzer wrote:Where is the sign up sheet?
The sign up sheet is located in the bass fishing forum where you found this topic. It`s actually right over this one or is it under?
Under, he found it.

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:19 pm

rjn cajun wrote:Mark if I`m reading the contest rules right and correct me if I`m wrong fella`s the verification code has to be written on a 8 1/2 x 11 card. You cam laminate or tape it whatever you have to do to keep it dry but it has to be visible in every pic.

We may revise this to a smaller card, like one that would fit inside a quart size ziplock bag. They measure 6 1/2" x 8" and would be a good water proof carrier to keep it in that most everyone has. It just has to be big enough to be clearly readable in the photos.
Inventor of the Fish-N-Fool Knot , Winner of Knot Wars

Watch my Fish-N-Fool Show on YouTube
oAoqZvrqY7o

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:37 pm

rjn cajun wrote:Mark if I`m reading the contest rules right and correct me if I`m wrong fella`s the verification code has to be written on a 8 1/2 x 11 card. You cam laminate or tape it whatever you have to do to keep it dry but it has to be visible in every pic.
Yes Sir! That's what I saw! I don't know/never met or spoke to F-n-F, I'm not associated with setting up the tournament. I'm just looking forward to learning some bass techniques this year. Maybe I'm a bit overly excited about it though..... "FREE!" NOTHING is truly free anymore.... So this is one in a million tourney, with out the stress of a pro tourney. I'm scratching my head over why there are only 13 entrants so far.

AND Since I don't use a digital camera with a date time stamp, just my cell phone, I'll use another 8 1/2 x 11 sheet in a plastic sleeve and write the date and time with a black grease pencil. I'm hoping that will work even in the rain and should be quick since I just need to change the time on the plastic sleeve to document each fish.

OR what ever size they decide on.........

Is this truly a "FREE" Bass fishing tournament? I just re-read everything, I didn't see a mention of entry fee, I assume it's free. Just the postage for 100 sets of baits sent to the contestants is going to add up.

Hey Mike! Just curious, what steps and fees do you guys have to go through and pay to set up a tournament like this?
Last edited by MarkFromSea on Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:21 pm

MarkFromSea wrote:

AND Since I don't use a digital camera with a date time stamp, just my cell phone, I'll use another 8 1/2 x 11 sheet in a plastic sleeve and write the date and time with a black grease pencil. I'm hoping that will work even in the rain and should be quick since I just need to change the time on the plastic sleeve to document each fish.
If you plan to fish in the rain you could use a white or light colored clipboard and write on it with a grease pencil. As long as it be be read in the photo you'll be fine
MarkFromSea wrote: Is this truly a "FREE" Bass fishing tournament? I just re-read everything, I didn't see a mention of entry fee, I assume it's free. Just the postage for 100 sets of baits sent to the contestants is going to add up.
It will be free for all contestants to enter, there is no entry fee.

oAoqZvrqY7o

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:07 pm

MarkFromSea wrote:
rjn cajun wrote:Is this truly a "FREE" Bass fishing tournament? I just re-read everything, I didn't see a mention of entry fee, I assume it's free. Just the postage for 100 sets of baits sent to the contestants is going to add up.

Hey Mike! Just curious, what steps and fees do you guys have to go through and pay to set up a tournament like this?
Yes, this event is free for membes of WashingtonLakes.com. The event is by Fish-N-Fool Lures and WL.com is the sponsor and as such we are supporting the derby in various ways.

An organization has to acquire a derby permit from WDFW if there are over, I believe, 6 anglers involved. This event is unique as the fishing is spread out over the entire state and over a two week time frame. I spoke with the guy at WDFW that approves derbies and he stated the state has approved similar type events in the past so we will just wait the 30 days or so for verification.

After derbies are completed the organization has a derby report that has to be filed with WDFW as well.

Our motivation is that this is a fun event members can be involved in and a way we can give back to the angling community here on WL.com. Free baits and a chance at some nice prizes, but not big money and tourney fees - that's not what this is about. I'm sure we will have more than a dozen participants. We haven't even promoted the event yet other than the forum posts.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:15 pm

Ah man only for WA state#-o
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:41 pm

fishaholictaz wrote:Ah man only for WA state#-o
Sorry bud. I know you'd slay em on Offut.

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:28 pm

This all sounds like fun to me. I like the baits. Like most of you I hope the dates work out because if they do your all going down [flapper] I'll be looking forward to fishing with F n F on the CoeurD'Alene when it's all said and done. [laugh]

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:40 pm

kzoo wrote:Just curious, what baits are you giving away? I'm willing to try, but would like to know what you're trying to promote. Maybe a brief description of your product would help.
The baits that you will fish with and win in the contest are The Fish-N-Fool Lures "Sink-N-Fool" bait. They are a extra heavy salt "Fish on the Fall" bait. Through a special formula we have found a way to put more salt in our baits then any other bait made. They use their weight from the extra salt and a shape that is designed to build up water resistance to produce a arcing wobble as it falls. That no other soft plastic bait has. Kind of like the way a leaf falls through the air. So this is the ultimate do nothing bait. The less you try to work the bait the better they seem to work. Here is a look at it and a few of the rigs I use in fishing them.

For some more good info like how to tie the Worlds strongest and easy to tie fishing knot My Fish-N-Fool knot go to the website.

www.fnflures.com

Here are just a few of the fish that have been caught all over the country on these baits.

Tony from Sandpoint Id. with a 12.4 pound monster out of ElSalto.

Jace with a 10.8lb toad from Lake Fork

Dolly (I like to call her pardon) :) with a Lake Okeechobee Monster or was it 2 monsters? LOL

Jace with another lake Fork toad at 9.2 lb.

Dave with a nice N. Id. fish.

Even I get a little one now and then.

Skip with a N. Id. toad,

Dan from Georgia with a nice one.

Ron with a N. Id. monster.

And Dan again with one more big Georgia bass.
Last edited by Fish-N-Fool on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oAoqZvrqY7o

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:29 pm

Is there a minnimum amount of paticipants to have the tournament? Just wondering cuz it doesn`t look like to many are signed up. Hopefully as we get closer and the weather changes guy`s and gals will want to play.[wink]

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:48 pm

rjn cajun wrote:Is there a minnimum amount of paticipants to have the tournament? Just wondering cuz it doesn`t look like to many are signed up. Hopefully as we get closer and the weather changes guy`s and gals will want to play.[wink]
No minimum. We are well over a month away and haven't promoted the event outside the sign up thread. I'm sure we'll have quite a few more anglers by the time the two week period starts.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:17 am

rjn cajun wrote:Is there a minnimum amount of paticipants to have the tournament? Just wondering cuz it doesn`t look like to many are signed up. Hopefully as we get closer and the weather changes guy`s and gals will want to play.[wink]
:-$ Shhhhhhhhh....... based on the number of bass I caught in E WA, Stan Coffin, this weekend, the only chance I have of winning is if there are fewer participants...... LOL I did end up catching perch, blugill and crappie though after getting my ego busted trying to catch bass. Woo Hoo! It's All Good!:-$
Last edited by MarkFromSea on Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

bass2elk
Petty Officer

Post by bass2elk » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:34 pm

All the talk about sponsors, marketing, selling of product, can we have this tournament, is this legal, Harming the fish (which was my personal favorite WTF moment) I think this is a great marketing idea and wish you the best of luck. My only gripe is that its too bad your not a fuel supplier if you catch my drift.

bass2elk
Petty Officer

Post by bass2elk » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:39 pm

I also want to know if she was using Fish-N-Fool baits
Attachments
2bass.jpg
2bass.jpg (385.54 KiB) Viewed 1682 times