New boat/ bilge pump question/other question

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
johnsgonefishin
Petty Officer

New boat/ bilge pump question/other question

Post by johnsgonefishin » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:55 pm

I just bought a new to me(used) starcraft 14ft boat. I rigged a starting battery, and a deep cycle (for electric motor) as well as an onboard minnkota charger. Do I need a bilge pump or should I get one? I have the power to run one, and My outboard charges my starting battery while running.

I plan on fishing little lakes mainly, but occasional trips to lake roosevelt or fort spokane, courde alene(maybe calm days), calm parts of the snake, columbia will not be out of the question. I have also seen some hairy situations on Rock lake.

When I was at a boat outfitter store the guy there said just get a bucket, but for me if its under $100 I would rather flip a switch. I also thought about one of the manual pumps like the squirt gun.

Also is it hard to build a casting platform up front. I have bench seating right now.
Leave no footprint.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:New boat/ bilge pump question/other question

Post by Amx » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:04 pm

ALWAYS good to have an automatic bilge pump. Or at least one you can flip a switch and make it work while you use a bucket to help, if necessary. Get a collapsing bucket, doesn't take up much room at all.
Tom.

Interests: living

wishniwasfishn
Petty Officer

Post by wishniwasfishn » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:00 am

I would have to agree with AMX a small bilge pump can come in handy if you get stuck in the rain or just take on some water over the side it is very nice to be able to get that water back out, I also added a small pump to my Invader and we were at Priest Lake and it rained heavily all night one night and when I went down to my boat the next morning it took about 6-7 minutes of pumping to get all that water out. Hope this helps, Dennis

johnsgonefishin
Petty Officer

Post by johnsgonefishin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:35 am

Thank you, I will look at getting a small bilge pump.

I have another add on question. I have 2 batteries, one marine starter/ one deep cycle. I also have the onboard charger. I am currently runing the minnkota to the deep cycle. I run the outboard and fish finder to the marine starter. I am looking at adding lights to the marine starter as well as the bilge pump. Right now I currently unhook the motor and fish finder when I charge/ rehook up when I go back out. Do I need a switch for each battery? If I set up the switches do I run the charger into one of the switches or do I keep it seperate and disconnect the switch when I hook up the charger. Any switch recomendations or do I not need one. Thanks again, this is my second boat but my first was really basic.
Leave no footprint.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:41 am

With one charger you run the leads to the switch, then 2 sets of wires - one set to each battery - from each side of the 2 position switch - left = batt 1, center = off, right = batt 2. Personaly I'd get another charger, a 2 bank one. Charge both batteries at the same time. It's worth the expense. Been there, done that, now I use a 3 bank on-board charger.
Tom.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:10 pm

johnsgonefishin wrote:I just bought a new to me(used) starcraft 14ft boat. I rigged a starting battery, and a deep cycle (for electric motor) as well as an onboard minnkota charger. Do I need a bilge pump or should I get one? I have the power to run one, and My outboard charges my starting battery while running.

I plan on fishing little lakes mainly, but occasional trips to lake roosevelt or fort spokane, courde alene(maybe calm days), calm parts of the snake, columbia will not be out of the question. I have also seen some hairy situations on Rock lake.

When I was at a boat outfitter store the guy there said just get a bucket, but for me if its under $100 I would rather flip a switch. I also thought about one of the manual pumps like the squirt gun.

Also is it hard to build a casting platform up front. I have bench seating right now.
Yes, and no. LOL

You can build a casting platform up front, I did it years ago on a 14' Starcraft, so it can be done. You will probably end up adding a fair amount of weight to the boat in the process, but it can be done.

I like bilge pumps, but even now I still keep a bail bucket on board. I have been in rain storms that were just nasty, and it was nice to flip the switch on the bilge and let it do the work. I have also had those days where the waves would occasionally add to the problem. Yes, the bilge is nice.

But, they can fail, and if that is your only method of removing water, it can get nasty out there. If you get the bilge, exercise it once in a while so it does not get filled with sand or wasp next. LOL
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

johnsgonefishin
Petty Officer

Post by johnsgonefishin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:49 pm

Amx wrote:With one charger you run the leads to the switch, then 2 sets of wires - one set to each battery - from each side of the 2 position switch - left = batt 1, center = off, right = batt 2. Personaly I'd get another charger, a 2 bank one. Charge both batteries at the same time. It's worth the expense. Been there, done that, now I use a 3 bank on-board charger.
The charger I have charges both batteries at the same time. Can I leave all the electronics hooked up at the same time(ie fish finder/motor) or should I have a switch or disconnect them while charging/using/ or not using?
Last edited by johnsgonefishin on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leave no footprint.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:00 am

You should be able to leave them hooked up at all times. Mine is designed that way. It doesn't have alligator clips, it has lugs that get bolted to the batt terminals along with the regular wires. You can leave everything hooked up.
Last edited by Amx on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:27 am

I was planning to get a jon with bench seating and add a casting platform as well. Check out this link. The guy here made one out of an old aluminum ladder, which can cut down on the weight significantly.

Jon Boat Mods.
More Mods.

I just got a livewell aireator (500GPH), which suctions to the inside of an existing livewell, or a large cooler for livewell use. Because it's only suctioned in there, it can be removed and used as a bilge. Whole set-up with tube, wires, aireator poles and pump was only 39.99. Good luck with your project
Attachments
18045.gif
18045.gif (132.16 KiB) Viewed 2063 times