Fish-N-Fool Tournament Conversations Post Here!

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
tnj8222
Admiral

RE:Fish-N-Fool Tournament Conversations Post Here!

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:04 am

wacky rigging picks up alot of weeds where I want to fish. But I will give it a shot
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Eoso
Warrant Officer

Post by Eoso » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:45 am

you could always do a weighted wacky weedless hook [razz]

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:00 am

Sometimes I like throwing poo at a fan so here it comes..http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/fishing_contests/
If this is an actual permitted contest/ tournament. During these 2 weeks. How in the world are you guys going to afford the permit fees at $24 a piece? A single club is only allowed 7 tourneys per year. How are you guys going to do it? I have not seen any new tournament/contests added to every single lake ...yet. And how did the guy who is offering the "guided trip" come up with the $330 amount? Is Fish-n-fool a guide? I read a post from awhile back asking the names of bays on the POR just a few weeks ago. And weren't you the guy just bad-mouthing the WDFW a few weeks ago too?
I gotta admit its one heck of a promotional and personal marketing scheme. Give you that much! Good luck.
I certainly hope that poo didn't stick too much to the fan..
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:19 am

muskyhunter wrote:Sometimes I like throwing poo at a fan so here it comes..http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/fishing_contests/
If this is an actual permitted contest/ tournament. During these 2 weeks. How in the world are you guys going to afford the permit fees at $24 a piece? A single club is only allowed 7 tourneys per year. How are you guys going to do it? I have not seen any new tournament/contests added to every single lake ...yet. And how did the guy who is offering the "guided trip" come up with the $330 amount? Is Fish-n-fool a guide? I read a post from awhile back asking the names of bays on the POR just a few weeks ago. And weren't you the guy just bad-mouthing the WDFW a few weeks ago too?
I gotta admit its one heck of a promotional and personal marketing scheme. Give you that much! Good luck.

WDFW has already been contacted regarding this event and asked about the questions you have brought up. We were advised to submit the application for review and that a similar event has been approved before. If the permit is denied we have a Plan B which will still allow anyone to enter, recieve gift packs, win prizes, and display their catches.

The $330 dollar anount has been removed as this is not a guided trip, this is a personal fishing trip with the owner of Fish-N-Fool lures and as such has no monetary value. Ths original post attaching a monetary value was my error so my apologies for that.

Negativity aside, I see this as a really cool event and I am confident all the pieces will fall into place to make it happen.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

The HAWG HUNTER
Warrant Officer

Post by The HAWG HUNTER » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:50 am

What type of lures are they. Any pics ? Just like to know what to expect.
My Dad would say," Boy, some people just can't fish"

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:06 am

tnj8222 wrote:I got a pm saying I dont have to release the name of my honey hole pond that I know will put me in the lead lol

Mike confirm this please. Fish n fool sent me a pm saying I dont have to give up the name of my pond. Can I just tell you guys in pm?
Since Smack talk is allowed on this thread, LOL, Is that secret pond anything like the Mutual Fish Market? LOL

I'm new to this bassin stuff, I'm guessing I can count on one hand the number of bass I've caught over 12"... ok, maybe a few more. LOL I need a crash course in BASSIN! Method of rigging = any way that I can! LOL

I'm really looking forward to it! Hope I can put in some days!
Attachments
foolish_worms.jpg
foolish_worms.jpg (97.7 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
Last edited by MarkFromSea on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:07 am

muskyhunter wrote:Sometimes I like throwing poo at a fan so here it comes..http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/fishing_contests/
To this, I have 2 things to say: 1. The price is right to enter, $0! 2. It'll be lots of fun while I learn to catch bass.

It's funny that Auburn sports charges $200 to "check" the oil and maybe add air to the tires, stabilizer to a fuel tank and they call that a winterization. LOL That's right folks, for $200, they don't change the oil or filter. Check their site..... I damn near fell out of my chair when I saw that last sunday while I was looking for parts. I hope other shops aren't doing the same, if they are then this world really has gone to the dogs and it's all the more reason to enter a "FREE" fishing derby!

Looking forward to kickin some BASS!!! LOL or at least have some fun trying...
Last edited by MarkFromSea on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:18 am

Mike Carey wrote:

WDFW has already been contacted regarding this event and asked about the questions you have brought up. We were advised to submit the application for review and that a similar event has been approved before. If the permit is denied we have a Plan B which will still allow anyone to enter, recieve gift packs, win prizes, and display their catches.

The $330 dollar anount has been removed as this is not a guided trip, this is a personal fishing trip with the owner of Fish-N-Fool lures and as such has no monetary value. Ths original post attaching a monetary value was my error so my apologies for that.

Negativity aside, I see this as a really cool event and I am confident all the pieces will fall into place to make it happen.
Thanks Mike...All I was doing is asking questions is all. I've helped organize a few tournaments in my day and these were a few questions I had. Which are legitimate questions. I appreciate the answers and not beatin' around the bush. thanks again. Todd
Todd Reis
Musky Team

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:27 am

MarkFromSea wrote:
To this, I have 2 things to say: 1. The price is right to enter, $0! 2. It'll be lots of fun while I learn to catch bass.

It's funny that Auburn sports charges $200 to "check" the oil and maybe add air to the tires, stabilizer to a fuel tank and they call that a winterization. LOL That's right folks, for $200, they don't change the oil or filter. Check their site..... I damn near fell out of my chair when I saw that last sunday while I was looking for parts. I hope other shops aren't doing the same, if they are then this world really has gone to the dogs and it's all the more reason to enter a "FREE" fishing derby!

Mark, I do not know what the heck you're talking about. Your $200 charge has nothing to do with the questions I posted. Glad you got that off your chest. Maybe bring it up to the management team there? I'm pretty certain ASM is not open Sundays. So go sit back down in your chair. And maybe answer my original questions..? Later dude.
Todd Reis
Musky Team

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:58 pm

This sounds like a contest that could put a lot of stress on the bass. Getting set up for the photos showing the length, the bait, the date and time and etc. means the fish could be out of the water a long time unless the angler is very well prepared in advance. And, the paper notes that must be shown in the photos with flow markers in the northwest rain sound like additional challenges. Have fun guys, I will pass this one up.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:05 pm

Bob Johansen wrote:This sounds like a contest that could put a lot of stress on the bass. Getting set up for the photos showing the length, the bait, the date and time and etc. means the fish could be out of the water a long time unless the angler is very well prepared in advance. And, the paper notes that must be shown in the photos with flow markers in the northwest rain sound like additional challenges. Have fun guys, I will pass this one up.
I recomment guys be ready to take the shots and safely release the fish. Anglers can always put the fish in a live well or lip string it for a minute while getting the photo shot set up. Who fishes in the rain? (laughing as I recall our day on lake St. Clair)

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:08 pm

The HAWG HUNTER wrote: What type of lures are they. Any pics ? Just like to know what to expect.
We are talking plastics. Here's the web site:

Fish-N-Fool Lures

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:08 pm

I have to agree with Bob on this. Just seems like way to much work
for proper documentation. I think this post might have been started a bit early
if permits are still pending. Anyhow,I wish everyone luck who is participating,its
certainly a unique tournament.

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:33 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
Bob Johansen wrote:This sounds like a contest that could put a lot of stress on the bass. Getting set up for the photos showing the length, the bait, the date and time and etc. means the fish could be out of the water a long time unless the angler is very well prepared in advance. And, the paper notes that must be shown in the photos with flow markers in the northwest rain sound like additional challenges. Have fun guys, I will pass this one up.
I recommend guys be ready to take the shots and safely release the fish. Anglers can always put the fish in a live well or lip string it for a minute while getting the photo shot set up. Who fishes in the rain? (laughing as I recall our day on lake St. Clair)
Like Mike said, put the fish into the live well -- or in your small boat into a cooler filled with fresh water with lure still in its mouth. Yes, I know we all usually remove the lure before putting the fish into the live well but in this case --. I would also recommend using a "Keeper Board" or as we all called them, a "Belly Board." The belly board is a plastic board that is contoured to fit the bass' belly so you can get an accurate measurement quickly. Then attach about a 25 inch section of yard stick to it for a quick reading. (the belly board only reads to 15 inches and I'm quite sure that would not be enough for the skilled bass anglers entering this contest) When the board and camera is ready, remove the fish, take a quick photo and release. Getting the live, frisky fish to remain still for the photo is usually a challenge in its self. Oh, yes, put the paper with all the necessary info into a glassine envelope so it won't get soggy in the rain. Hope this helps a little.
And, yes, it was raining "cats & dogs" that day on St. Clair -- enough so it prompted me to ask Mike if he had a good bilge pump. His whole boat was a "live well." At least we didn't get completely skunked.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:36 pm

muskyhunter wrote:
MarkFromSea wrote:

Mark, I do not know what the heck you're talking about. Your $200 charge has nothing to do with the questions I posted. Glad you got that off your chest. Maybe bring it up to the management team there? I'm pretty certain ASM is not open Sundays. So go sit back down in your chair. And maybe answer my original questions..? Later dude.
You are correct, they are closed on sundays, that's why I checked their site, I was looking for parts. As to the tourney, I'm not associated with it so I can not answer any of your questions. Just like you, I was flingin poo! It looks like you are associated with Auburn Sports, so, there is that connection. I am looking forward to this tournament though. I have no expectations of winning but I expect that I'll need to buy some gear to fish in it. Is the point of fish tourneys to promote fishing gear sales? I think it promotes the sport and that generates sales. Just a thought, instead of asking questions that are interpreted as negative, ask questions as to how you can help. Just a thought....... Yeah Buddy! Fish On Dude! LOL

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:27 pm

Mark I think the tourney promotes fish n fool products as well as a fun tourney for all who enters to enjoy without the big tourney feeling. Just my thought. As for the fish being stressed I don`t think it`s going to take anymore time to do this then it would to weigh and take a picture for the fishing reports. Mark I don`t think you need to go buy any new bassn gear at all. You`ll be just fine with your salmon gear.:-"

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:38 pm

Mark,no disrespect intended but reading your previous response. I would assume you have not read the rules or overlooked a portion of it. No gear purchasing but only the baits supplied by fish n fool. Which in turn draws another comment into question..
Your quote "Is the point of fish tourneys to promote fishing gear sales?"
I would normally respond with a "no" but I'm sure the answer is much more complex
and would also explain why their are so many sponsors involved with tournaments.
For this tournament/thread. The answer is clearly "Yes" You can only use one maker's
lures. Then any photos that you supply are available to market for this particular brand/maker. Again Mark,no direspect intended and I hope you do well,along with everyone else.

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:46 pm

In my 45 years of bass fishing experience I have never seen a fish that was keep out of the water for a min or two ever have a problem swimming away just fine unless it was harmed from catching it. So I don't see any problem with if you have your stuff ready what it would take more then 2 mins. to complete the required tasks. I'm an avid Catch & Release fisherman and would never require any rules that would harm the fish to where it could die. So if you have your stuff ready I really think harming the fish is a non issue.
I personally have not had a bass die in about the last 15 years, even fishing many tournaments in hot weather.
I also have never left a hook in a fish, because if you know the proper way to remove the hook from a gut hooked fish they are always just fine. Here is my hook removal method if you are interested.

This technique requires two hands, so you either need a helper or I just hold the fish gently between my knees. You use a hook like a knitting hook on a small wooden dowel to grab the line. You go in with the knitting hook and pull the line out the gill plate turning the hook eye down. You do need to be careful not to damage the gills. Then you take a pair of needle nose pliers and pop the hook out with one quick pull. Works every time

Nice drawing huh. :)
Inventor of the Fish-N-Fool Knot , Winner of Knot Wars

Watch my Fish-N-Fool Show on YouTube
oAoqZvrqY7o

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:47 pm

EVERY sponser of EVERY event on earth does it for exposer and hopefully sales of their product. I have no problem with that.

If a company wants to give away product, that is part of advertising. If that product is all that is allowed to be used, then that is part of the rules and helps 'pay' for the event so the rest of us can have fun, and at no cost to US. No problem with that either.

It helps the fishermen by GIVING them a product to use, helps the company by exposer and hopefully more sales that'll keep the company alive and so more products for the fisherman to buy and use. Therefore allowing the company to grow and keep making the product.

A circle benefiting the company which benefits the fisherman.
Last edited by Amx on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:49 pm

rjn cajun wrote:Mark I think the tourney promotes fish n fool products as well as a fun tourney for all who enters to enjoy without the big tourney feeling. Just my thought. As for the fish being stressed I don`t think it`s going to take anymore time to do this then it would to weigh and take a picture for the fishing reports. Mark I don`t think you need to go buy any new bassn gear at all. You`ll be just fine with your salmon gear.:-"
Hey rjn,I agree with you to some extent. I'm sure most folks will be prepared
but then again,might be a few not as ready,leading to some pretty severe stress
on the fish. Now if more folks were using a bumpboard or something similar.I could see the process going a little more smoothly and the only thing needed would be to place the card near the bass and snap a pic. Where some problems may reside would be
someone using a tape measurer or something like that. It would take more time to get an acurate measurement