Round vs low profile bait casting reels

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
natenez
Warrant Officer

Round vs low profile bait casting reels

Post by natenez » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:14 pm

I've always been a spinning reel guy, but as I've been getting more into salmon/steelhead I've noticed alot of guys using bait casting reels.

One thing I've wondered is what is the difference between a round baitcasting reel & a low profile model.

I've asked a couple of salesmen at some stores and they basicly said low profile is better, but didn't explain very well why. Given that the low profile tends to cost more I felt they were trying to make a more expensive sell vs really giving me good advice.

Any thoughts?
Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Round vs low profile bait casting reels

Post by Amx » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:21 pm

Find somebody in your area that will let you try their reels that are round and somebody with a low profile reel. Maybe fish with them for an hour or so. There are a few members in your area.
Tom.

Interests: living

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:33 pm

I personally can palm a low profile better than a round one. It's comfort to me, you could be holding one of these things for hours. When you're at the store next time, pair it with a rod and see what's more comfortable.

Low profiles really have taken over the market, it wasn't that case years ago. Lots of guys still prefer the round one. The round ones do have high performing reels in every brand. Seems to have more variety in the low profiles.
Last edited by kzoo on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smoke14
Petty Officer

Post by smoke14 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:04 pm

The biggest difference for me is the over size and weight of the reel. The low profile reels are smaller and lighter. If your fishing all day casting being a couple of ounces lighter is less wear and tear on the arm, and wrist. It comes down to personal preference so if you get the chance try them both and make your own decision.

wintersteelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by wintersteelhead » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:33 pm

If you got the bucks, I beat this like a dead horse, the Shimano Curado. Low profile, light weight and tough as heck. And you can cast to most other zip codes!!!!!

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:54 pm

I prefer round reels as they fit my hands better. I also fish 10'+ rods and the slightly heavier, sturdier round reel balances the rod better. Round reels normally hold more line, so if the target fishery is for large fish in big water they perform better. For drift fishing for hatchery dinks it doesn't make any difference as they don't have enough mass to cause problems. Low profile reels are fine for most situations. I use low profile reels for lighter rods used for summer run steelhead Umpteen gazillion bass fishermen use low profile reels one handed casting with their short bass rods. Try both styles and see what fits your technique best. In comparison to spinning reels you'll need to spend more $$$ for a baitcaster. Cheap is not the right price for a baitcaster as you have to pay for performance.
Life's short - fish hard!

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:21 am

I use low profile bait casters also. Personal preference but I think there lighter less bulky and just more comfortable. I use my thumb to control line instead of using the brakes. Sounds weird but I`m not confident in the reels slowing and stopping themselves when they hit the water. Last thing I want to do is pick out a birds nest and kill half a day fishing. If they didn`t have low profile I`d be using all spinning reels. Like the other guys mentioned go to your local boat or tackle shop and try both. Just my 2 cents.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:21 am

Low profile reels are like pick-ups where as round reels are semis. If I want to horse BIG fish nothing beats an abu. But for comfort and ease of use low profile reels work well:salut:
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:34 am

Having used both, and just my opinion, I prefer low profile. I've fished steelhead, salmon, and bass with both, and low profile just fits my style and comfort. I'd say try both if you can and make a call from there. Kind of like many things in fishing...you'll get many answers, but you need to try things for yourself to get a better idea. What works for me may not work for you...or vice versa. Good luck.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:37 pm

I regularly use both. I use low profile on my bassin rods and the full size on my Musky rods and saltwater rods.

Size and weight are a huge factor. I cast each totally differently. For salmon/steelhead, I would probably use the full size reel.
Last edited by Rich McVey on Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

natenez
Warrant Officer

Post by natenez » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:36 pm

Cool. Thanks all. Sounds like the main thing is how it feels in my hand.
Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:06 am

I prefer the round baitcaster over low profile but that is my preference. I think it really matters if I'm on a lake a river or salt.
Last edited by Gonefishing on Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teal101
Warrant Officer

Post by Teal101 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:50 pm

I use low profile for Bass and round for Musky/bigger fish. The rounds hold more line which works awesome when you need lots of heavy line for fighting big fish. I prefer casting with the low profile though.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:20 pm

The latest low profiles from Shimano and Abus can hold an incredible amount of line, it definitely wasn't the case in the past.